Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

4 day itinerary to Shikoku from Okayama 2015/3/23 19:55
I would like to spend 4-5 nights in Shikoku after visiting Okayama for 2 nights.

Please suggest itineraries with using JR Pass if possible or other public transports.

I love onsens & would like to stay in Ryokans.
by Ursula (guest)  

Re: 4 day itinerary to Shikoku from Okayama 2015/3/24 23:48
Hello Ursula. Could you provide us with more information what your interests are other than your accommodation preferences? It's hard to suggest itineraries if we don't know what you like to do...

Thanks. :)
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 day itinerary to Shikoku from Okayama 2015/3/25 01:28
Take an express to Matsuyama, then streetcar to 3,000 year old Dogo Onsen. Also see Matsuyama castle, recently renovated.
The Gold Tower building near the end of the Seto Ohashi bridge complex gives good views od the Inland Sea (Seto). Kotohira is good to visit. You will find more info with a Google search.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: 4 day itinerary to Shikoku from Okayama 2015/3/25 04:59
One of the finest places to visit is Konpirasan in Kotohira - one of the best day (or hlaf day) hikes you will ever experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ley9rVIewoQ

Takamatsu also has a lot to offer. The Ritsurin Garden is one of Japan's best. Kochi and Matsuyama are also good. Uwajima is also off the beaten trail and offers a lot. The Taga Shrine with the giant phallus is something you don't see much of in Japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0WcmpSQ7S0

Surprisingly, except for a week in August for the Awa-Odori, Tokushima City is the least interesting.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 day itinerary to Shikoku from Okayama 2015/3/26 17:38
This is Ursula. I posted the initial question. I had problems signing back in, so have to sign up again.
Thank you very much for your suggestions. They are most helpful. To further expand my visit purpose:
I have been to Japan many times. My last visit to Shikoku was almost 18 years ago and I have forgotten where I visited.
I love Japanese culture and food. Depending on my recovery from my recent minor problem with my right leg, I might not be able to walk too long (probably an hour is the upper limit, I think). I would like to visit the cityfs attractions.
I would like some suggestions on accommodation. So far, I have only booked for my Osaka and Okayama stays.
by ursulang rate this post as useful

4 day itinerary to Shikoku from Okayama 2015/3/26 18:41
Ursula's itineraries

13/4: arriving in Osaka and stay one night (hotel booked)
14-15/4: Osaka to Okayama - 2 nights in Okayama (ryokan confirmed)
16-19 or 20: Okayama to Shikoku - 3 or 4 nights in Shikoku; perhaps to visit Tokushima, Takamatsu, Matsuyama, and other places of interest (no accommodation arranged yet)
21-22: back to Osaka for 2 nights (hotel booked)
23/4 return home

I haven't come up with a detailed plan of my Shikoku travel and is trying to incorporate all your advice to come up with a 4 or 5 day itineraries. Any more suggestions are most appreciated!

Re: 4 day itinerary to Shikoku from Okayama 2015/3/26 22:45
Well, if you like food, the big two in Shikoku have to be Sanuki Udon in Kagawa Prefecture and Katsuo no Tataki in Kochi. There are lots of other specialties all over, but these are very famous. Kochi's Katsuo no Tataki is SO good!

Because the JR Lines in Shikoku mostly run in a single circle, the general route is basically decided, so it's mostly a matter of choosing where to stop along the way.

I think japan-guide's Shikoku pages are quite good suggestions:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1107.html

Ryugado Cave in Kami (Kochi Prefecture) is well worth it, too:
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/a40e1/22abb4/
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: 4 day itinerary to Shikoku from Okayama 2015/3/26 22:55
Don't forget Ritsurin Koen if you're in Takamatsu (for the udon)
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

4 day itinerary to Shikoku from Okayama 2015/3/28 21:31
Thank you very much!

1 Now I have a couple more days before or after visiting Shikoku.
Is it advisable to use the super jet? Where should i visit?

2 For my 11 day itineraries, should I buy a 5 day Kansai Wild Pass + 4 day All Shikoku Pass? Or a 14 days JR Pass?

I look forward to your advice.

reply to this thread