Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hire Snow Boots to visit Snow Monkeys? 2015/3/26 06:10
Hi, we are visiting the Snow Monkeys at Jigokudani on 4 April. Will it be necessary to take snow boots? If so, can I hire them locally for my family? We are travelling light and my children will be mainly wearing sneakers in Tokyo and sandals when we go south to the Yaeyama Islands, and I don't think either will be suitable
for visiting the snow monkeys!
by buckscaroline  

Re: Hire Snow Boots to visit Snow Monkeys? 2015/3/26 11:39
Will you be staying locally? As the hotels and ryokan are often able to loan you rubber boots for your visit. Otherwise, unless it is snowing when you visit, snow boots may not be necessary as the trail there is quite protected in the forest and the paths around the park get pretty stomped down.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Hire Snow Boots to visit Snow Monkeys? 2015/3/27 00:24
Hi, thanks for replying! Yes, we are staying locally at Aburaya Tousen in Yudanaka. I can't see anything on their website about boot hire but fingers crossed .
by buckscaroline rate this post as useful

Re: Hire Snow Boots to visit Snow Monkeys? 2015/3/27 00:42
I stayed at Uotoshi Ryokan in Yudanaka a few years ago and 3 of us walked up to see the snow monkeys in early April. There was no snow on the trail but snow on the ground although only a few inches to a foot on the hillsides. We did not need any special boots, we were all wearing running shoes or walking shoes. Unless the weather is really bad you should be fine.
by sjvacc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hire Snow Boots to visit Snow Monkeys? 2015/3/27 01:08
Sorry for hijack your threads.but i want to ask, is it ok to walk in snow with running shoes?like in murodo alpine road..
by sun (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hire Snow Boots to visit Snow Monkeys? 2015/3/27 09:50
I've walked in snow in sneakers. The snow was heavy too.

Just walk slowly and you'll be fine.

The only issue is in places where it is early winter, some snow melted and froze and became ice. This is slippery.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hire Snow Boots to visit Snow Monkeys? 2015/3/27 10:06
Very unlikely you will need snow boots.(!?) The live cameras shows only limited snow on the hills.

I'll be visiting the monkeys again next week, and not expecting the forest walk to have any snow - a bit wet maybe.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hire Snow Boots to visit Snow Monkeys? 2015/3/27 11:05
Is it gonna cold and wet on your feet if u just wear a sneaker,not a waterproof boots?

Re: Hire Snow Boots to visit Snow Monkeys? 2015/3/27 12:55
Packed down snow is generally not a problem in sneakers. The issue is more fresh, unpacked snow that can get in above the top of low shoes. Murodo should be fine since there isn't really fresh snow around during most of the open period.

Might be a little cold if you're not used to it, but you can always double up on socks or get chemical shoe heater packs.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Hire Snow Boots to visit Snow Monkeys? 2015/3/27 13:43
thx yllwsmrf for the reply, it's really help, since i'm not from the 4 season country. then i will dont need to buy a new waterproof boots.thx

Re: Hire Snow Boots to visit Snow Monkeys? 2015/3/28 17:18
We visited snow monkeys 2 weeks ago. There was snow on the Track & a bit wet & muddy in parts. But you can hire rubber /snow boots at the start of the track for 500 yen. You will love the monkeys, iit is worth the trip.
by Leanne (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread