Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Great destination for hiking/nature views 2015/4/8 12:48
Hi all,

I just came back from the solo trip 2 weeks ago, visiting Tokyo, Kyoto, Arashiyama, Nara, and short trip to Nikko. It's thrilling to explore the cities and stroll around the sites which is not very crowded with foreign tourists or tour groups.

I am preparing another solo trip in 2nd week of November. Do you have any suggestions which areas to explore? I'd love places or cities which are not too mainstream to tourism (for the same reason I skipped Hakone), or areas with beautiful nature and views (e.g. mountains, parks, waterfalls). I'd like to do more hiking. I love Arashiyama, strolling the city and climbing the park/forest to get a rewarding view. I also love Nikko, surrounded by mountains backdrop, a bit eerie at night as the fog thickens but fun to explore. Unfortunately I reached Nikko at late afternoon so could not manage to visit Lake Chuzenji, so thinking to do it on the next trip.

I'm thinking to base in Tokyo and exploring around Kanto or Tohoku area utilizing JR East Pass, because major airlines do inbound/outbound from Tokyo, but I'm open for other option/area.

Thanks for the suggestions!
by Moccy  

Re: Great destination for hiking/nature views 2015/4/8 15:28
I went to Yakushima Island for a day hiking trip last November. It was absolutely beautiful and well off the beaten track! It is a bit out of the way though - the nearest city is Kagoshima in Kyushu; from there you can either fly (with JAL) or take a ferry to the island. It is covered in old cedar forests, and when I say old I mean thousands of years. The area I went hiking in, Shiratani Unsuikiyo, was the inspiration for the forests in the Ghibli film Princess Mononoke. There were waterfalls, moss-covered boulders, vines, and cedar trees everywhere. I really enjoyed it. You can stay on the island, but it's nothing fancy as it's not a tourist hot-spot.

I also went on a day hike outside of Hiroshima to Sandankyo Gorge, reachable by a 1.5 hour bus trip (one-way). It was also lovely. You follow the river through the gorge and the autumn colours were lovely that time of year (mid-November).

I'd recommend getting a copy of Lonely Planet's Hiking in Japan. It gives detailed information on multiple hikes in every region, ranging from half-day to multi-week hikes. A great place to start planning!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Great destination for hiking/nature views 2015/4/13 15:34
Hi SQ,

Yakushima island looks awesome!! I watched Princess Mononoke but never actually heard that it's based on real scenery! Sandakyo Gorge is also gorgeous!

May I know if you covers both Yakushima and Hiroshima within one trip? Did you stay overnight at Hiroshima? I never consider Kyushu as I thought it didn't have much appeal, but this may change it!

Also, what time did you hike at Yakushima? As I will be travelling alone, it looks kinda creepy there.. :) I'd rather having few travellers around.

Cheers!
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Great destination for hiking/nature views 2015/4/13 16:43
Kuniga Kaigan (Coast) has had the most amazing scenery of any hike I've done in Japan. Besides the cliffs and rock formations, there were plenty of semi-wild horses to encounter. It is one part of the Oki Islands Geopark, and there is more deep forest hiking to do on the main island. Most people take a ferry from Matsue or Sakaiminato, but there is also an airport on the main island. A little off the beaten track, but a great place to go for tourism without being surrounded by other tourists.
by Buri0110 rate this post as useful

Re: Great destination for hiking/nature views 2015/4/14 10:10
I highly recommend Takayama in Gifu. It has plenty of places to go hiking and has some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in Japan. Kurobe Gorge and Mount Tateyama in Toyama also has beautiful scenery and hiking opportunities as does Mount Hakusan in Ishikawa.
by jennjett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Great destination for hiking/nature views 2015/4/14 11:00

Kurobe Gorge : Autumn, early November, hiking beyond Keyakidaira go deep to Babadani , spectacular Fall colour, the scenery, the gorge and the surrounding will render you speechless . And big bonus, free onsen for the tired legs. A hiking paradise I would highly recommended. "Cross your fingers" for perfect timing.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Great destination for hiking/nature views 2015/4/14 11:29
I went hiking in November, but I am under the impression there are people there year-round. I did do both Hiroshima and Yakushima in the one trip, as I was in Japan for a whole month. I moved around a lot: Osaka, Hiroshima, Okayama, Fukuoka + Yufuin, Nagasaki, Kagoshima + Yakushima, Osaka, Koyasan, Nara, Kyoto, Tokyo + Hakone + Nikko + Kamakura. Busy but totally worth it!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Great destination for hiking/nature views 2015/4/15 14:02
I recommend Yamadera, Kakunodate, Urabandai and Obuse.
by mijiro rate this post as useful

Re: Great destination for hiking/nature views 2015/4/15 14:22
I forgot to add Oirase.
by mijiro rate this post as useful

Re: Great destination for hiking/nature views 2015/4/15 15:03
If you think of the western Japan as far as Yukushima, then Takachiho Gorge should be on your bucket list as well.
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

Re: Great destination for hiking/nature views 2015/4/15 19:21
I have been to Yakushima Island, and agree on that. In addition, I would suggest that you head up the eastern side of Kyushu, hitting Miyazaki and Takachiho. At Miyazaki, go to Aoshima Island and the Udo Shrine. At Takachiho, go to the Gorge and the Shrine, and, if you are lucky enough to get a windless morning, go to Kunimi-ga-Oka, the "Sea of Clouds".This only happens in Late September to Early November.

http://www.pmiyazaki.com/takachiho/index.htm

Good Luck on your trip.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread