Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Golden Week arrival and travel 2015/4/9 17:49
Hi all,

first time visitor to Japan arriving May 2nd and staying for 3 weeks. No real itinerary yet (last minute decision to book cheap flights from Europe) but was planning on an initial 2/3 days in Tokyo before heading direction Kyoto, Hiroshima, Kyushu/Shikoku trip, Osaka and back to Tokyo.
I plan on buying a 2 week (3 week??) JR pass but having browsed this (excellent) forum and other sources I'm now concerned that travel out of Tokyo towards Kyoto might be very difficult due to the Golden Week holidays.....would it still be possible, do you think, to manage to book any trains heading in our direction for May 4/5/6th once I arrive in Japan? Or, is there the possibility of just showing up at the Tokyo station and hoping for the best?
Many thanks.
by RickO (guest)  

Re: Golden Week arrival and travel 2015/4/10 01:06
If you arrive on the 2nd and plan to have a few days in Tokyo first, you should pretty much be fine. The last official calendar holiday day of GW this year is on the 6th so from Thurs 7th things will quieten down. If you choose to travel on the 5th or 6th, it will be busier but I'm still sure that you'll be able to find seats if you're flexible about which train time you take. There are bullet trains running constantly throughout the day so if, say, you can't get seats on an 11am train, chances are you will on the 11:20 one.

Even if it's busy on the trains, you should still be able to get seats even if you just turn up at the station. Use your JRP and just take unreserved seats. If you're able to, it will still be a good idea to try to reserve seats for the journeys you'll be making. You could do most of the main reservations in one go.

Have a great trip!
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Golden Week arrival and travel 2015/4/10 19:08
Many thanks for that, it gives me a clearer picture now.
Think I've now decided on a different approach and will fly from Haneda to Fukuoka (using the ANA Experience Japan fare +/- JPY 11k), tour round Kyushu for a week or so and then just use a 7 day JR pass.
Thanks again!
by RickO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Golden Week arrival and travel 2015/4/10 21:40
by Lxin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread