Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What when denied tourist extension? 2015/4/10 21:30
I wanna come back to Japan and extend another Tourist Visa. It's not my first extension. Not sure if they grant it. If it's denied can Immigration at the airport see the denial whenever I try to enter Japan in the future?
by FieldOfFandom (guest)  

Re: What when denied tourist extension? 2015/4/11 15:07
You are outside Japan now, and plan to come back to Japan, AND are already planning to extend it?

Note that Temporary Visitor status "starts anew" when you enter Japan. So if you stay for example for close to 3 months (if you are of a nationality which gives you 3 months that is), and then apply with local Immigration Bureau to "extend" it without leaving Japan, that is what you call "extension." If you leave Japan once and come back in, you are starting on a NEW temporary visitor status.

Yes, I believe Immigration can see the records on their PC.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What when denied tourist extension? 2015/4/11 15:54
Yes, I am aware of that. I'm still in my home country right now but would like to extend my Temporary Visitor Status for another 90 days. My nationality allows me to extend. But if they deny the extension I would leave Japan for a week and come back. I'm just worried that Immigration can see the denial and I'm sure they won't like me seeing return when I had a denial.
by FieldOfFandom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What when denied tourist extension? 2015/4/11 16:05
Yes, Japanese immigration allow 7 nationalities to extend their landing permission to another 90 days, however I honestly don't think they will let you stay 4x90 days in Japan even if you include a little trip to your home country after 2x90.

One year (360 days) on gtourist visah? It is not tourism anymore, it is residency.
by Minime (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What when denied tourist extension? 2015/4/11 19:46
I don't think the immigration will care if you are denied an extention, it doesn't affect you in anyway to enter in to Japan.
Also, to have an extention, you must have a valid reason, and you must be in Japan to have the extention, there are exception to this, like you need to visit Japan for an operation, but you do need all relevant detail and reference letter to support your stay.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: What when denied tourist extension? 2015/4/11 20:50
It's not recommended to leave and reenter that way. In the past, people often did that but in recent years, immigration has been less kind in overlooking these attempts to circumvent the law.

If you apply for an extension and are denied, it would be even riskier to try and reenter. You certainly wouldn't be able to play the "stupid foreigner", because it would be clear that you know exactly what you are doing and you're extension denial proves you have already been told you cannot stay. I wouldn't recommend trying to play games with immigration. Plan out your 90 days under the assumption that you will only get that many days. If you are granted an extension (which would likely be less than 90 days even if given an extension) then great, but if not, it's best just to go home and plan another trip. You shouldn't plan for 180 days because it is uncertain.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: What when denied tourist extension? 2015/4/13 00:35
Hey guys, thanks.
I would like to stay for 6 months but I could tell Immigration I only wanna stay 4 months. They would still give me 90 days of extension even when I am telling them I am PLANNING to stay 4months. Or can they limit it as the above poster said?
And to be fair I am planning to get work (surgery) done, but it's for beauty purposes, so I am not sure how kind they would be and if that even counts for them. I could always try.
I've heard immigration is more strict these days, that's why I'm asking here.
by FieldOfFandom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What when denied tourist extension? 2015/4/13 11:47
NEVER lie to the authorities. It will only get you in trouble, and possibly risk your chance of ever entering Japan again. If you tell Immigration you only want to stay for 4 months, and leave after 6, they will see this as you leave and you will most likely get in trouble.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What when denied tourist extension? 2015/4/13 14:06
When was the last time you came to Japan and how long did you stay? That may have an impact on when you can come again.

Or can they limit it as the above poster said?

Yes, they can limit the duration but its usually done in really broad numbers. Either way, the difference will probably have little to no impact on getting your extension approved.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread