Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My first time in Japan, I go to Osaka and 2015/4/17 11:15
Hello to everybody, I wish to ask the forum: a translator from an android phone can be enough to talk with people? I love to meet many japanese people. But I know that it is a bit difficult.
Can you give me some japanese lesson and information about Osaka? I go to Osaka for 9 days the 6th of juin and I really love to learn japanise language and everything about your life, your beautyful style and your amazing culture.
I am a european man from Italy
by MasterLordX  

Re: My first time in Japan, I go to Osaka and 2015/4/17 14:20
a translator from an android phone can be enough to talk with people

What would you say if I asked you the same question before going to Italy ?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: My first time in Japan, I go to Osaka and 2015/4/18 11:28
Everywhere its written that Japanese people usually doesnt speak english. I dont speack Japanese language and I'll try to do my best to learn something. But if you are japanese and you come with a traslator in Italy it could be much better.
About Japanese language I dont know the language and I dont know how difficult it could be to talk even with a translator. this is why I have asked for it. Have i done a mistake?
by MasterLordX rate this post as useful

Re: My first time in Japan, I go to Osaka and 2015/4/18 11:47
What I meant to say was that Japan is not much different from any other non-English-speaking country in that regard (with the only possible exception of Norther European countries). The average Japanese person speaks English just as well as the average French or Italian, which is to say, not well at all. But there are of course many exceptions, and indeed, the average Japanese person who is actually interested in meeting and talking with foreigners will probably speak English well enough for your purposes. Now, how exactly do you plan to "meet Japanese people"? Saying hello to a random person in the street or on the train generally does not lead to much.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: My first time in Japan, I go to Osaka and 2015/4/20 11:22
Hello to everybody, I wish to ask the forum: a translator from an android phone can be enough to talk with people?

In my experience, they are tedious and extremely error prone, but they can get you by in a pinch. Definitely not recommended for protracted conversations.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: My first time in Japan, I go to Osaka and 2015/4/23 23:04
thanks so much to all for your reply. It helps me to better understand

Re: My first time in Japan, I go to Osaka and 2015/4/24 10:00
I love to meet many japanese people. But I know that it is a bit difficult.

It is actually pretty easy to meet a Japanese person. More than 90% of the people would be Japanese.

Tokyo has many people too.

I would recommend learning some simple words for greetings, formalities, and asking for help. For indepth conversations about art and science it might be better not to dabble into that yet.

For light conversations, your translator would be able to help. The kind that listens to what you say and repeats in your chosen language.

Have fun!
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My first time in Japan, I go to Osaka and 2015/4/28 15:43
I would recommend the translator app as a last resort if nothings working.

First you should learn a couple of basic Japanese phrases, they might help a lot since you should learn how to say Hello (Konichiwa) in Japanese anyways. They are a lot of apps out there you can you to learn them.

If you want to ask something outside the phrasebook, then try talking in English. They might make mistakes but at least you can have a small conversation.

If nothing works then use a translator.

Generally there are a lot of apps to teach you Japanese. As I mentioned above, a Japanese Phrasebook will help you get started, afterwards you can learn Japanese Grammar. Learning Japanese isn't a small task so it will take time.
by amzshow rate this post as useful

Re: My first time in Japan, I go to Osaka and 2015/5/1 06:51
Hey there,

to answer your question:
No the translater app isn't even close to enough, maybe some really and I mean really basic sentence will be translated correctly into Japanese, but mostly it sound strange or miss the purpose of what you wanted to say.

I can give you the adress of my Japanese teacher, she could teach you until June some basics, and I mean really just basics, but those are enough to at least survive your daily life there.

And here are some tips for your first trip:

Order a Data Sim card for your phone before you go there, then you can use Google maps to find your way, and to get the best train connection information when you are in the city.

At the Airport go to the JR center and get you the Haruka ticket, it will give you a bullet train ticket to the city and the "ICOCA" card which you can charge with money to pay at the train stations and convinient stores.

For your meeting new people problem, there is a simple solution.
You won't be able to speak Japanese enough to have a nice chat with a Japanese there. But if you know the places you can find Japanese which can speak really good english.

These are foreigner bars and club, to these location Japanese go when they intend to meet foreigners, so they can and will speak English with you.
by Uriziel rate this post as useful

Re: My first time in Japan, I go to Osaka and 2015/5/1 13:08
Thanks a lot friends, i appreciate so much your precious info. Perfect. I'll try to study quicly basic japanise language and to rent a sim card from here, before to go in Japan.
Thanks again.

reply to this thread