Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Isolated ALT seeking help/advice 2015/5/8 18:21
Are there any ALTs out there who could please lend some support to a fellow ALT who's currently struggling with her work environment? If so I'd really appreciate it!

I came here a year ago on the JET Program to be a High School ALT and from Day One I've been completely on my own. When I arrived I was assigned an absentee supervisor (literally - he went on vacation the day after I arrived in Japan to avoid dealing with me) and had to do everything by myself, from setting up banking and electricity to figuring out where my desk was and how to use the fax machine. This was pretty difficult as I knew zero Japanese but I struggled through it and eventually found my way. For the next six months my work environment involved feeling completely isolated whilst trying to reach out to my colleagues with my limited Japanese. I slowly learned enough Japanese to have small conversations with them, most of whom are quite friendly yet keep to themselves, but still felt alone because I was never told what was going on at the school and whenever I asked questions like "Can I please join in with soji time? Does the baseball team have any matches coming up that I can attend? Did the principal say something about our baseball team being in the newspaper?" I was ignored.

Luckily this supervisor left the school and I was assigned another JTE as a supervisor who by contrast seemed friendly and approachable. I thought my troubles had ended but my new supervisor is so overworked that she never has time to tell me anything, and I feel like a burden when I ask questions - sometimes she snaps at me if I interrupt her while she's working because she's so busy. As a result of the poor communication between us I end up constantly making mistakes that brand me as the "dumb foreigner" like wearing the wrong clothes to a graduation ceremony, putting my papers in the wrong cupboard, letting a student enter the staff room during exam week, accidentally using envelopes that belonged to an individual person etc etc. Situations like this have caused some colleagues to get frustrated, even angry, with me without realizing that these mistakes are the result of poor communication. I'm never told ahead of time if I have to work late or on a Saturday, I'm simply "surprised" with this information at the last minute and expected to roll with it. Frequently I find myself alone in the staff room while everyone else has gone to a school assembly or meeting that no one told me about. There seems to always be stuff going on that everyone else in the school knows about except me and by the time I figure it out it's either too late to participate, or I feel like I'm not allowed to.

I try to gently communicate these issues with my supervisor by saying things like: "Next time I have to work on a Saturday, could you please let me know in advance?" or "What happened today when everyone was gone for an hour?" but nothing changes. When I know a school event is coming up I have to ask her everything, from the dress code to the venue, date and time. Nothing is explained to me unless I think to ask and even then the details are sketchy.

The worst part about this is the strained bond between myself and my students, who are shy around me because their English is so poor. I have asked several times to be assigned a soji/cleaning job so I can be a bigger part of the school atmosphere, but my supervisor keeps insisting that I "don't have to do that" even though I've repeatedly told her I want to do it so I can bond with the students. Her objections to me participating in things like cleaning are so strong that I'm scared to jump in and help. When my students mention an upcoming performance or sports game, I try to ask her for the venue details but she won't find out for me so I miss out on going along to support my students. Sometimes when I incidentally end up participating in something outside of the classroom, ie: helping pack up the gym after an assembly, when she notices me there she insists that I "don't have to do that" and should return to the staff room. I've even had to scrap lesson plans because I can't locate the data projector and she's too busy to help me.

The ALT before me was pretty slack and resented getting involved in school activities outside of the classroom. I think this is why the JTEs leave me to my own devices, they assume I'm the same way. However I've tried so many times to tell/show them that I want to know what's going on and that I want to be part of things. I don't know what else I can do to clarify that I don't share the lazy attitude of my predecessor.

Basically I feel like I've been left to rot away in the staff room and retreat further and further into my role as an outsider. I'm currently studying Japanese to improve my ability to understand what's going on but at the moment I can only get the vague gist of things. Meanwhile I hear my other ALT friends whose supervisors take them to the hairdresser or doctor, help them fill out X form or make X phone call, or take them out to dinner when a stranger abused them on the train. I feel like there's something wrong with me because the relationship with my supervisor seems so cold/sterile, and I wonder what I can do to change this.

Sorry for this long ranting post, but I'm really curious if there are other ALTs out there who have had similar experiences. Is this situation typical of ALTs in Japan or is it unique just to my school? What positive advice could you give someone in my position? What are some steps I can take to improve my workplace situation?
by jennjett (guest)  

Re: Isolated ALT seeking help/advice 2015/5/8 21:00
Hi Jennjett,

Apologies, I'm not an ALT but I do have some experience with schools, specifically in Japan. As such, some people may have some more relevant things to say than I do.

At the moment, it seems as though you are having a pretty hard time - and I know what this is like. After six months, the novelty of moving wears off and is gets hard.

As such, I'd suggest that you focus first on finding a supportive environment outside of the school first. This will allow you to deal much better with whatever happens at the school.

Many prefectural and city offices (even medium towns) have international offices where expats can go for help and support. It's also a great place to meet new people.

Also, having local friends helps a lot especially in learning the local language. If your main train station near you has a tourist office where someone speaks English - see if they need help and volunteer some time.

The Japanese can be a funny lot - but are good people in general. Things get better with time and if they see you trying to help the local community (such as what I mentioned above) this will do a bit.

I do not know your exact position at your current school, but my understanding is that not that much is expected of an ALT. You might eat lunch with the kids at lunch, teach parts of a lesson and provide some general English resources. However, that's all that is really expected of you.

I'm guessing that this must feel frustrating as you probably have lots of great ideas or what to do extra things, but the local teachers probably don't want the help as they see it as extra work.

At the moment, I'm training local teachers in another country (I used to live in Japan) and they will do everything to just do what they know and not change their ways. My job is a bit different - as I've been brought in as an agent of change, but I totally understand your frustration.

To be happy at a job overseas I need three things.

(1) A good relationship with my students
(2) Good relationships with my coworkers and admin
(3) A good friendship base that IS NOT linked to the school.

There is only so much we can do about the first two, but the third one will make a big difference. Trust me on this one!

Best of luck and Ganbatte!

by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Isolated ALT seeking help/advice 2015/5/8 23:01
Hey mfedley, thanks so much for your insightful reply! You are right that I need to build a support network for myself outside the school. There are other JETs in my town, I have made some good friends but generally the JET culture in my town is a little cliquey and hard to break into. There's an international exchange centre where I attend Japanese classes but they have other things like tea ceremony, maybe I should try that. Your tip about trying to help the local community is a great one, I've wanted to volunteer for a while but didn't know what I could help so I'll look into the tourist office thing. I'd actually love to get involved with Fukushima-related work, even if it's just fundraising, but not sure how to go about it. Every year some students from my school actually visit Fukushima to do volunteer work, I've tried to ask some teachers about this but haven't gotten any answers!

At my school I'm expected to plan and deliver my own lessons, make and mark exam papers, run the English club and tutor students who want it (which is around 6 kids). Anything beyond this is discouraged, probably because getting involved in school life would create more work for my supervisor. It's a shame that they view anything extra as a hassle when in reality it would motivate the students to speak English and help them to feel comfortable with me.

At least I have the freedom to plan and run my own classes while the JTE sits at the back and observes. And with all the time I spend hidden away at my desk it allows me the time to create good lesson plans and quality resources. And some of the JTEs do give me feedback and suggestions on my lessons which I'm grateful for as I know most ALTs struggle to get any feedback at all.

My colleagues are actually really nice, it's just that they're so busy and used to doing things a certain way that leads to poor communication which leads to stressful situations. I don't think they realize how cold and sterile the workplace can be for someone like me and how difficult life in Japan is generally for someone with limited language skills. Maybe my supervisor isn't even aware that she's supposed to be helping me with personal stuff like doctor's appointments, paperwork etc - the last ALT probably never needed help with that stuff because he knew Japanese. I guess there's not much I can do other than keep my chin up and keep smiling!
by jennjett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Isolated ALT seeking help/advice 2015/5/9 06:53
I'm not an ALT so am unsure about supervisors for ALT, but, those supervisors won't normally help your personal life environment unless they will do as a volunteer. Those supervisor will possibly help you to make good English classes.

Japanese teachers in schools don't speak English at all, so if you can find an English teacher in the school, he/she might help you to understand Japanese schooling culture and daily life. I think it's an extremely difficult to understand Japanese schooling culture if you have never experienced in the past with limited Japanese ability. And also, each schools have slightly different school culture there.

The most Japanese teachers in schools are also isolated. They do their own work and solve their difficulties by themselves. This is because they are too busy to teach in classes, bukatsu and the other school work. Good schools share their difficulties with the other teachers and solve together but those schools are limited.

I think it's nice to attend an exchange center and get some advice there or ask who can speak English and explain Japanese schooling culture and environment.
Japanese school teachers work hard until late, often come to school Sundays to do their work without demanding any over time pay, it sounds strange but strange things always happen in JP.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Isolated ALT seeking help/advice 2015/5/9 07:22
Thanks for the insight Tokyo Friend! When I joined the JET Program they told us that supervisors are there to help us settle into life in Japan, support us if we have difficulties in life/work, inform us about the daily happenings at the school and oversee our teaching routines eg: teaching schedule. My supervisor is a JTE (Japanese Teacher of English) and can therefore speak English very well, as can the other three JTEs in my school. They told me they want me to plan my lessons by myself which I'm happy to do but sometimes I have questions about the student's abilities to understand certain grammar etc and I feel uncomfortable asking her because she's busy. She sits next to me at the teacher's meeting in the morning but always rushes off straight afterwards without telling me if anything important was discussed in the meeting. Sometimes I find out important info from the recepionist whose English is also good. If there's something happening that day eg: fire drill, school trip or visitors coming to the school, she might take the time to come and tell me about it. But she works in a different section of the building to me and is often busy herself so many times she's unable to do this. It sounds like it's not just me who experiences this isolation at school so at least I know it's not just an issue with me!

Re: Isolated ALT seeking help/advice 2015/5/10 09:50
I think it's a personal problem between you and the supervisor.
Is there any mutual JET tutor who can help and solve the problem?
I think he/she can be a "bridge" between both of you.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Isolated ALT seeking help/advice 2015/5/10 16:07
Hey there!

Sorry to hear about that strained relationship between you and your supervisor. I'm also a new ALT here in Japan, but I'm working in a JHS under a private company not under JET Program.

I can't imagine what you're going through, but I do understand being isolated because Kamisu (the city I'm living in is just geographically vertical) and I'm all the way down south. The rest of my ALT friends are up north.

At the beginning, I needed to bug my coordinator to get a bank account, and because my coordinator (aka supervisor in your case) has to deal with more than just one ALT in my area, so it's a little hard for her to help out everybody at the same time. I had to get my phone contract and internet set up myself. My advice is to really get help from outside of your supervisor, and if there is a JET feedback kinda thing, do feedback about your experience.

I've only been here for just over a month and I've only get to know a few people. I am happy to be friends with the English teachers in my school because they are the ones who know how to speak English, the rest of the teachers are friendly enough to say hi and bye to me. But on my part, I learned some basic Japanese to start a mini-conversation with them about the weather, what they did during the weekend and etc. If the relationship between you and your supervisor isn't good, try your best in learning basic Japanese and communicate with other teachers. Of course, based on what you said, you've been pretty outgoing and sociable towards the school, except the school teachers are a little reluctant. I've learned that Japanese teachers need time to warm up to new people, so be hopeful :) As long as you keep doing what you're doing, they'll start opening up to you and accept that you're not your predecessor :)

I agree with having a social circle outside of school :) Which is what I'm trying to do when I get my salary. Haha...

Hope that things will turn out pretty well for you soon!
by carolincsj rate this post as useful

Re: Isolated ALT seeking help/advice 2015/5/10 20:33
Unfortunately, ALT supervisors are not always chosen with the actual job in mind; they are sometimes chosen because "someone has to do it" so they do not always take the job seriously.

Just because this woman has been assigned as your supervisor does NOT mean she is the only person you can talk to. Find another English teacher that you work with that you trust and feel comfortable talking to and ask them what's going on.

When it comes to sports and club activities, your supervisor probably doesn't know or care about any sports/clubs that she is not in charge of. Rather than bothering her, ask the teacher who is in charge of that sport directly. If you want to go to a soccer game, ask the soccer coach. You can even ask for the sheet that lists the full season of games and have a Japanese person outside of school (a friend or someone from a Japanese class) help you translate it.

Your supervisor seems a bit cold, but sometimes they worry about the ALT being "overworked" to unnecessary extents. There is no reason however, why your attending of school events or helping with cleaning needs to be more work for her. You do NOT need her for these things. Most ALTs I know either walked around during cleaning time or found a teacher who they got along with and just went to their class/area to help during cleaning time. As long as you are HELPING and not just distracting the students, it really shouldn't be a big deal. If however, you feel (or have been told) that you are truly forbidden from cleaning, you can always walk around between classes and chat with students. It's only 10 minutes or so, but it can mean a lot to the students and to you.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Isolated ALT seeking help/advice 2015/5/11 08:34
How do I ask in Japanese: 'When is the baseball team playing games, and can I please have a schedule with the dates and venues of the games? I want to come to support them!'. All the PE teachers at my school can't speak a word of English so they talk to me in Japanese but I can't understand. It is okay to write out this question in Japanese and leave it on their desk as a note? If I ask them face-to-face they will probably say all this stuff that I can't understand.

Also how do I say in Japanese to other club leaders: 'Am I allowed to join in your club one day? When and where does the club meet?'.

I was in tears on my way to school this morning. I missed the bus and had to catch the later, slower one that usually gets me there 2 minutes too late for the staff meeting. I wanted to text my supervisor explaining that I was running late but she won't give me her phone number (last time I was late I asked for her number so I can text her if it happens again but she just said 'You have me on LINE' which I don't). In future if I'm late should I just ring the school reception and let them know? What about if I need to call in sick - am I supposed to tell the school, or just my supervisor or another JTE?

Also how do I ask, in Japanese, for a list of important school dates for the year including weekend dates that we have to work? I've told my supervisor several times that I would like a copy of this document but she won't help me. I really need to know in advance about the weekend school days because I have medical appointments on Saturdays that are difficult to change.

Re: Isolated ALT seeking help/advice 2015/5/11 19:03
Jennjett, I really feel for you - you seem like a positive, hardworking ALT who's trying really hard in this bad situation. I know well that JTEs are overworked, but her not providing you with basic information such as how to contact her or the school if you are ill or there is an emergency, and the days you have to work, is really unprofessional, in my opinion.

I know nothing of JET, but is there not someone above her you can contact, to ask them to push her to provide you with more information? Or maybe a 'head' ALT in your area who can give you more specific advice? Because as every ALT knows, 'every situation is different', and there's only so much help people online can give you.

As for clubs, what I would do is go up to the teacher in charge and ask
サッカー部 /野球部 /テニス部の試合はいつですか? '(Sakkā-bu/ yakyuu-bu/ tenisu-bu) no shiai wa itsudesu ka?' (When is/are the soccer/baseball/tennis club game(s)? '
スケジュールコピーお願いします 'Sukejūru kopī onegaishimasu' (can I have a copy of the schedule?) (The schedule will probably be all in Japanese, but if you take a little time to look over it with a dictionary you should be able to work it out)
私も行ってもいいですか?'watashimo itte mo ii desuka? (can I go too?)
I DO NOT claim this to be perfect Japanese, I'm sure someone else can tell you something better to say. But they should certainly understand what you are trying to say (and I try not to speak to people using language I don't understand, because they are more likely to respond with language I don't understand! Keep it simple and hopefully they should reply simply!)

Sorry I can't be of much help!
by fififi12 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Isolated ALT seeking help/advice 2015/5/12 08:42
Thank you so much fififi, that is great and very helpful! Even if it's not 100% right it's a lot better than my current level of Japanese. I will try to find out which PE teacher runs the baseball club and hopefully can get the schedule from them. Technically my employer is a city BOE but I'm hesitant to contact them because a) my supervisor's a genuinely nice woman, she's just overworked and stressed and b) my bosses at the BOE are also overworked and told us when we arrived that we should sort our problems out for ourselves and only contact them as a last resort. The head of the English department is approachable but also has a hands-off approach and seems to prefer me to solve things for myself. I don't want to seem like a troublesome ALT who is causing trouble for anyone, I feel like I should just adapt to the situation and learn how to make it work. I'm pretty sure the last ALT was fiercely independent. He refused to listen to feedback regarding his lessons had a cold and distant relationship with the JTEs (he actually tried to get one fired) so maybe this changed the way they interact with ALTs out of fear that they'll get on our 'bad side' if they get too close. While I've managed to show them that I value their feedback re: lessons I guess they're still hesitant to fully welcome me into the school community. Maybe if I find my own way to involve myself in the school eg: approach a PE teacher using the phrases you gave me it will slowly make them all more accepting of me.

Re: Isolated ALT seeking help/advice 2015/5/13 15:30
jeanjett,

don't you have any support or person to consult with from JET or BOE?
you should consult directly with your JET or BOE if the school wasn't responsive.
also trying too much or overdoing it mighv worsen it as thing good intention got lost in translation.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread