Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cost of music Cds 2015/6/29 12:37
Hello

Is possible that a new cd costs 17/20 usd in stores like Tower Records?

Is this a regular price for a music cd? Are all made in Japan?

Regards

Gonzalo
by rivermivida  

Re: Cost of music Cds 2015/6/29 15:09
Is possible that a new cd costs 17/20 usd in stores like Tower Records?

Are you asking if it is possible that a new CD costs the yen equivalent of 17 to 20 USD in stores like Tower Records branches in Japan? If so, the answer is yes.

Is this a regular price for a music cd?

In Japan, yes.

Are all made in Japan?

Are you asking about CDs sold in stores like Tower Records branches in Japan? If so, no, and the imported ones usually says "IMPORTED" in English.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of music Cds 2015/6/29 15:16
So.., i have to assume that the cost of the music cd are almost the doble of the cost in Europe or USA..., is that correct?
by rivermivida rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of music Cds 2015/6/29 15:48
Yes, music cd's are much more expensive compared to prices we are paying in other countries.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of music Cds 2015/6/29 17:08
Single cds are 1,200 - 1,300 Yen(special editions, 1,600 Yen - )
Album cds are 2,800 Yen - (Special editions, 3,500 Yen - )
Imported cds are a bit cheaper with no translation(singles, 1,000 Yen - , album, 1,500 Yen - )
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of music Cds 2015/6/29 20:41
Since many have answered part of your questions, about made in japan CD, many are made or pressed in Japan, but you will get some made in Korea or pressed in Korea and other countries.

If you do by Japanese CD, I think tower records is a good choice, at lease you can listen to all the music before purchase, they a have player to scan the CD bar code and you can listen to each songs before purchase so you know what you are buying.

I brought this up because with some CD Singles you get something like version A, B and C and they do have 1 or 2 tracks which is different, after listening to them you know which one you want.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of music Cds 2015/6/29 21:28
Japanese versions of foreign albums are also famous for its "bonus tracks," which some people prefer while some people don't.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of music Cds 2015/6/29 23:25
Basically, some music fans (specially Hard Rock fans), love cds and lp whit the Obi Strip, that (and the bonus tracks) made the JapANESE CD&LP a "superior thing"..

And i want to buy all the KISS CDs and Lps Made in Japan that i can find
by rivermivida rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of music Cds 2015/6/30 03:11
If that's so, then you'll want to get to Tower Records when you first get there so, on the off-chance they don't have the items you want, they can order them for you. I've done that with Japanese soundtracks and it took two or three days. I can't remember if I paid up front (I think I did) or not....
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of music Cds 2015/6/30 03:41
it's also good to search those small shops, you might find some good surprise.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of music Cds 2015/6/30 09:42
You should also check out Disc Union. A great chain of secondhand music stores. You never know what you'll find.

http://diskunion.net/st/shop/e_index.html
by Smoke242 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of music Cds 2015/7/3 09:18
Japanse CD singles may come with election slips, handshake tickets or DVDs which can contain an hour or more of video, so although they are more expensive, you often get more. Check out MVs on the net before deciding on different versions of releases. Copy and paste either English or Japanese titles into Google or YouTube.

Sometimes you can get cheaper (legit) Taiwanese, Korean or HK releases of Japanese CDs (YesAsia/ebay). These are not shipped to Japan.

For Japanese issues of Western bands, there are always some on ebay or YesAsia. Get what you can by mail order, and then look for the rest in Japan, as CDs soon get heavy when you have a pile of them.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread