Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Internet issues 2015/8/12 21:52
Dear people, please help.

I had an apartment previous in which the agent arranged an engineer to install the Internet. A man came and no words aprt from hello, thanks, bye were exchanged, and whether he guessed or not he installed an 'ethernet' connection to the wall... I plugged in my UK Netgear router, and without any issue was on the Internet straight away no questions asked.....

But..

I'm now in a new apartment, and again a man came, basic exchange of words, but he connected a Japanese style line into a NTT hub....
The provider is so-net and they posted a card with user ID and password.
I have connected my router into the hub and have got to the screen asking for ISP user name and password which I enter, but whether I try upper/lower case or any means of entering the details I simply cannot progress any further..

I am living in Chiba.

Any ideas on how to proceed would be fantastic. In simplest terms as possible please.

Best regards.
by internetnerd (guest)  

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/13 09:35
I am also on NTT + So-net, but can you clarify which "screen" you are referring to?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/13 15:56
are you sure that NTT apparatus is a hub, not a router ?
recently, those are routers.
you may try to connect NTT apparatus to your PC directly.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/14 12:20
Hello thank you for replying..

The screen I accessed was my Netgear settings using its IP address in Internet explorer and it asks for my ISP user name and PW but does not recognise any combination.

I also tried connecting the NTT device direct to my laptop via a ethernet cable, but in trying to access its settings with an IP address nothing at all happens, the exporer page just continues to say Im not connected to Internet.

I went into network connections and settings to set up a new connection but again the user name and PW given by so-net have no effect.
To also confirm the CD supplied with the package will not run on my laptop as it is an English operating system...
Really frustrating considering I had nothing to but turn on my computer at the old place and it worked straight away...

Any help would be fantastic..

Regards.
by Internetnerd (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/14 12:48
You cannot use your router to establish the connection, you must do it on the NTT box. (You may then use your router behind it if you want, but it would probably not be very useful.)

The box's IP address should be 192.168.1.1. If it doesn't work in your browser, there's a problem somewhere. I have not used Windows for a while but standard LAN connection with everything in auto mode should do.

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/14 13:42
Thanks Firas, will try that again tonight when get home..

Im sure I have already tried it, but no harm in trying again..

by Interntnerd (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/14 14:56
ƒ†[ƒU[ID ‚ƃ†[ƒU[IDƒpƒXƒ[ƒhvAuÚ‘±—pID ‚ÆÚ‘±—pƒpƒXƒ[ƒhvuƒ[ƒ‹ƒAƒhƒŒƒX‚ƃ[ƒ‹ƒAƒhƒŒƒXƒpƒXƒ[ƒhv‚ÍA‚»‚ꂼ‚ê•Ê‚Ì‚à‚Ì‚Å‚·B
"user ID" is not identical to "ID for internet connection".
you may input "user ID" instead of "ID for internet connection".

http://www.so-net.ne.jp/support/rn/app/answers/detail/images/2343/nyuk...
Ú‘±—p‚h‚c@ex: taro_s@aa2.so-net.ne.jp
Ú‘±—pƒpƒXƒ[ƒh

what model type of NTT device do you use ?

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/14 19:21
Hi Ken,

It says on the back - GE-PON-ONU....

As for ID, I only received one card in the post with a user ID beginning CAF********
and a password...

I also tried connecting this GE-PON and entering the IP suggested above, but it doesn't connect to this unit to access anything, the internet page continues to just stay blank..

Please help.

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/14 19:34
Your unit is a different model from mine so maybe the IP address is different. It should be in the instruction leaflet that came with it.

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/14 19:42
Maybe yours is login problem that is related to initial login into the NTT hub/router setup page.

Have a look at this on setting up your NTT internet line.

https://flets-w.com/english/download/install02.pdf

Take note on Step 2/3 and Step 4.
Step 2/3 Username and Password (NTT router/hub setup login)
and Step 4 Username and Password (use your Provider given ID and Password).

Do this by connecting the NTT router/hub direct into your PC without using your Netgear hub first, in order to establish your internet connection. Once connected, try connecting your Netgear hub.
by BB (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/14 19:52
Or try this step, again connect direct to your PC without your Netgear Hub for initial setup connection.

Configuration using PPPoE method, using your So-net provider information:

Windows 7
http://asahi-net.jp/en/support/guide/win7pppoe.html

Windows 8
http://asahi-net.jp/en/support/guide/win8pppoe.html
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/14 20:26
But it seems OP does not yet have his so-net information, it should be on a document similar to the link in ken's last post, but it seems OP has not received it yet.

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/18 10:23
Are you able to open up the NTT router configuration pages?

You would need a password / login to access these pages. This password / login is different from the info you received from SO-NET.

From my experience with multiple internet installations (working for a property management company), the NTT tech will setup their routers with "user" for user name and password unless the customer specifically requests otherwise.

Please try that combination to access the router configuration pages at 192.168.1.1

If the NTT tech did not setup a password, you would be requested to pick a password the first time you access the router configuration pages.
by kcrackerg rate this post as useful

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/18 11:13
The default username to access the router is "user", you are prompted to set a password the first time you access it. And after that you configure the internet connection with the username/password from so-net.

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/18 19:16
please write here the model number of the router or any device.

Re: Internet issues 2015/8/19 07:25
Hi all.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their time and effort in the above. My Internet is now connected and working fine (and I might say at five times the Internet speed than back in England)...

I had indeed received all the information but the problem lied within the paperwork received.

I had a secure paper which when opened provided a user ID and password which for all purposes led me to keep trying to use this as the information to access my router.

However for anyone else that receives a similar problem I found that the actual user name and password resided in a an A4 user guide supplied which gave a host of various information and four different login user ID's and passwords..
The one needed is located after a symbol of a blue planet indicating world wide web and this information is entered into your regular network settings via control panel when setting up a new connection...

The other IDs are for accessing email, or for your account on the So-net website itself.
So, unlike me, please don't assume because there is four different ID's, that they are examples, they are all needed for different reasons!

If it doesn't work, then the great advice above may also help.

Thanks again all.

Best regards.

reply to this thread