Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/10/29 20:35
I intent to buy a Lumia 950 Dual SIM, where i want to use one sim for my standard European provider, while the other i intend to use with one of the local japanese companies.

has anyone expierience with this? is this possible? can i use japanese sims in windows phones?
by Glimpigumpi  

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/10/30 11:41
My mother has a Windows phone (also a Nokia), and tourist prepaid SIMs work in it. (She used one from NTT, but I suppose all other Docomo-based ones would work as well.) I can't comment on the dual-SIM aspect, however.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/11/6 03:24
As long as your phone is unlock, you can get any SIM card from any company.

Hope this helps!
Have Fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/11/6 09:49
thanks a lot you for your answers!
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/11/6 09:51
the reason why i was worried was that you can buy a lot of japnese prepaid sims but they never write that they support windows phones. always apple and android are mentioned only in the descriptions...

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/11/7 00:39
It should still work, you just need to see if the Windows phone is using SIM card or MicroSIM card.

Hope this helps!!!
Have Fun!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/11/11 10:49
I had a Nokia with Windows phone when I arrived, and at the beginning the girl from the store I got the SIM card from (Bic Camera) looked at me like "I don't think this is gonna work", but we managed to make it work by changing the network settings around a bit.
It took a while but after that, no problems at all :)
by WP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/12/18 15:26
I have a Dual SIM windows phone in Japan...It will NOT work as Dual SIM...it is either/or SIM and not both connected at same time. When one SIM is connected, the other SIM will NOT connect to a network. It does NOT matter if the second SIM is data only....it will not connect to a network and hence voice and data are off the table on the second SIM.
by SHAsha (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/12/18 17:12
really? oh, thats bad. what is the point of dual sim then i wonder. just to avoid opening and switching manually all the time?

is it just in japan like this or anywhere?

in any case: thank you a lot for the additional information. i might reconsider buying a dual sim phone then...

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/12/18 21:37
A dual sim phone doesn't work well in Japan because Japan doesn't have any 2G networks. On most dual sim phones, you can use 3G on only one SIM at a time with the other sim available for 2G. In countries with both 2G and 3G service a dual sim will work fine. In Japan, it just saves you the trouble of switching sims when you wish to use a different carrier.

It appears that the the Oneplus 2 has full dual sim support for 3G and 4G
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/12/18 22:03
oneplus 2 is also limited to 2G on either sim, if the other is on 3G or 4G.

currently all dual sim phone only support 4G+2G, 2G+4G, 3G+2G or 2G+3G, that's if both sim supports 4G, some phones like many in china only has 4G, 3G and 2G in sim one and only 2G in sim two.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/12/20 22:24
@kms:
but if i understand you correctly, i could use my european SIM in the 2G slot and put the japanese one in the 4G? then it should work together at the same time?

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/12/20 23:07
Japan does not support GSM 2G, so this will make it useless.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with dual SIM windows phones 2015/12/21 04:24
and G3+G3 is not possible?

and thank you again for patently answering my probably stupid questions.

reply to this thread