Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Police in Japan 2015/11/2 01:03
I have always wondered if the Japanese police carry guns. Some people have told me that they don't carry guns. Others have told me that they do. Do Japanese police carry guns?
by The Ritualist  

Re: Police in Japan 2015/11/2 10:55
They sometimes do and sometimes don't, I don't know how it is determined. Note also that, strictly speaking, there is (almost) no "Japanese police", 99% of police tasks are carried out by prefectural police, so practice may vary also by prefecture.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Police in Japan 2015/11/2 10:57
Some do. some don't. I've been stopped by police twice in Japan: once at Sendai airport and Shou did have a gun. We spoke for about 30 minutes at the airport and he was a great guy. The other time I was stopped in Minamisanriku when I was taking photos in a construction zone and the police was called when the truck drivers thought I may be in danger of getting hit. They dispatched a small Toyota patrol car and one of the two officers had a gun, the other didn't.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Police in Japan 2015/11/3 20:31
Every policeman working outside always carries a hand gun in Japan.
by 7R (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Police in Japan 2015/11/3 22:59
Police officers who wear uniform and work at police box(ko-ban) carry a gun. They might need a gun 24hrs/7days.

Detective officers(or sergeant) who wear mufti clothing and work at police department don't carry a gun unless they have special permission.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread