Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/2 19:47
Hi. I am currently an iPhone5 user and was planning on purchasing the MVNO (because my peers told me that it's cheaper than having a 2-year contract) service so I can have data on my phone and also voice (but I don't do voice much, just for emergency calls). But then, I unfortunately dropped my phone and the glass is all smashed; I can still use it but I can't bear to use it for a long time. And for the repairs, it's either to have it repaired by someone else or I do repair it myself. I don't want to do both so I am now considering having a new phone.

My problem is first: which smartphone to have (ofc, I am not asking you this but I will lay out my options so you could give an opinion).

As I am an iPhone user, I am leaning towards getting an iPhone 6 or 6+. An unlocked iPhone. So I have two-choices: suck it up and get a contract from Docomo (which is going be quite expensive) and have the phone unlocked later on; or, buy a used (hopefully unlocked) iPhone from Akihabara and buy a b-mobile sim or similar MVNO sims.

On the other hand, a part of me wants to finally let go of the iOS and continue my smartphone adventures with an Android phone. So while I was casually browsing yesterday, I came across a (probably) cheap LG G4 H815 from eBay (costing around 67000 - 68000 yen + delivery charge) and a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910C (44000 - 45000 yen + delivery charge) and thought why not move on to Android, purchase one of these phones and just buy b-mobile here once it gets here. A friend suggested that I should just have a 2-year contract here from Docomo for an Adnroird phone (he's pushing me to get a S6 or S6 Edge) but I fell in love with these two phones and sadly, they're both not in sale here in Japan.

So to sum it up: (1) Should I stick with iPhone or move on to Adnroid; (2) if iPhone, get a contract or buy from apple/secondhand, then get b-mobile or other MVNO; (2) if Android, should I push through with buying from eBay then get MVNO service, or get a contract?

Few details, I'm currently living in Yokohama so I'm just less than an hour away from Akihabara so I could do some window-shopping for phones but I'm not good with that. I just started my first ever job in my life here in Japan so I'm also thinking about my phone budget.

Thanks!
by KookieCrunch  

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/3 10:42
If you are willing to shell out the price for a docomo contract, I say go with it. Personally, I find the big carriers ridiculously expensive, so I have gone the MVNO route. Sadly, most MVNOs (especially docomo-based ones like b-mobile) are painfully slow, even for casual data usage, to the point that I think "ripoff" would be an accurate description. (I have personally tried two, b-mobile and OCN, but there is strong evidence that most others are the same or worse.)

Fortunately, there are exceptions, one of them being au-based MVNO UQ mobile, which offers what you'd expect: data speed on par with regular au contracts, for a lower price but without all the bells and whistles, that's what I am now using. Some points to note:

* Only non-iPhone, au-branded phones are officially supported. I bought mine from Amazon (Galaxy S5, cost about 30k). SIM-free phones may or may not work, at your own risk.

* au network coverage is less good than docomo, although the difference is mostly over rural areas, it includes some relatively popular tourist spots (Goshikinuma and Osorezan come to mind), keep this in mind if you travel often.

* Payment is by card only, as is usual for MVNOs. Foreign cards may or may not work, at your own risk (my French one does).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/3 11:38
Keep in mind (regardless of which phone OS direction you take) that if you will complete the 2 year contract then it could be net cheaper to go with a carrier contract rather than buying a used/unlocked phone and going with an MVNO. The service will also be more robust and user friendly.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/3 11:39
You can also checkout the site such as for new or 2nd hand phone, locked or unlocked
http://iosys.co.jp
they have shops in Akihabara

http://www.musbi.net/sys/c/116107.html

For MVNO, most lease the line from Docomo, so unless you can get unlock phone,which can be ridiculously expensive in Japan, get the one from Docomo brand.
As Firas mentioned most MVNO speed are very low compared to main 3 provider, since there are many provider and users which clog down the traffic.

The au based MVNO are better since it newer and less users.

If you are good or can find someone is good with Android, you can just get one do not matter which company it is locked to as long as you can 'root' it, hence make it unlock and use it freely. Just make sure there are good working ROM for that particular phone.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/3 12:03
Keep in mind (regardless of which phone OS direction you take) that if you will complete the 2 year contract then it could be net cheaper to go with a carrier contract rather than buying a used/unlocked phone and going with an MVNO.

I don't think that's possible. From what I have found*, a basic contract with a major carrier will be at least 5000 yen per month, not counting the payments for the phone. A MVNO will be 1500-2000. For the sake of argument, let's say the big carrier is 3000 yen more expensive (in reality it will probably be more than that), then over 24 months that's 72k, more than the price of many new, unlocked phones.

* I may be wrong on that, the pricing system of big carriers is very confusing. Apparentlky, even the government thinks so. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2015/11/23/editorials/mobile-phone...

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/3 12:04
To make a contract with MVNO company, you will need a Japanese issued credit card, not a VISA debit.
The majority of MVNO contracts will not make those who have a VISA debit nor oversea issued credit card. Their transaction and payments are made by online only.
A MVNO called "MoshimosiiX" selles brand new iphone with MVNO contracts.
http://mosimosi.co.jp/
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/3 13:02
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I am also confused with the pricing system on the top 3 network carriers here in Japan. My friend with his Android phone pays around 10k per month (cringe) and another friend pays her iPhone5s for

Just for information, I have a Japanese-issued credit card here. It's a corporate card so I guess I'm good for making transactions if i ever go with MNVO. I guess I really don't have an issue with MVNOs despite the majority of reviews saying the slow data connection because I have wifi at home. And I need the phone for emergency voice calls and casual facebook browsing, google, and maps for everyday use. But then again, I don't really know the experience of having MVNO just yet so I cannot say so maybe a long-term contract's still better?
by KookieCrunch rate this post as useful

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/3 16:56
MVNO companies ask you to make a contract for min 6 -12 months for voice call contract,(no min contract for data use only), the otherwise you will be charged penalty fees(8,000 - 12,000 Yen) if you break the contract.
I think the data and toll charge cost will be cheaper if your phone credit is completed.
I use "IIJmio" and satisfied with that(I mainly use PC and landline(home phone)).
I think "IIJmio", "Biglobe" and "OCN" provide good quality service. As far as I know "DMM Mobile" is the cheapest.

by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/18 20:48
How much is the monthly plan for:

Data
One hour of call
100 sms

Per month?

If there is no such set, i am okay with more or less call and sms as long as unlimited data and i need to have my phone number

Which mobile network is good for this?

by soontobetokyogirl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/18 20:55
Nobody offers unlimited data that I know of. There are some offers with unlimited traffic, but at very limited speed.

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/18 22:06
How about 3gb data?

Actually i dont know how much data is enough. How about 1 gb?

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/19 09:15
http://service.ocn.ne.jp/english/mobile/one/

More or less this is what most MVNOs are offering albeit different pricing. The above will give you rough general idea what are packages being offered by various MVNO. Click the SEE DETAIL to know more.
OCN Mobileone is docomo sub company, thus one of the more expensive MVNO but not much.

http://kakuyasu-sim.jp
If you read Japanese this site is a good site to read on various MVNO in Japan. It least each pros and cons from packages,speed, pricing etc.

OCNmobileone IIJMO BMOBILE ecconect so-net(leasing line from docomo), UMOBILE(au) are some of the MVNO that offer longterm service. Recently many MVNO are popping..

Docomo lines MVNO tend to have variable fluctuating speed since many are using it. AU based MVNO are better on speed/stability since being new player, thus less customer.

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/19 14:40
http://service.ocn.ne.jp/english/mobile/one/

More or less this is what most MVNOs are offering albeit different pricing. The above will give you rough general idea what are packages being offered by various MVNO. Click the SEE DETAIL to know more.
OCN Mobileone is docomo sub company, thus one of the more expensive MVNO but not much.

http://kakuyasu-sim.jp
If you read Japanese this site is a good site to read on various MVNO in Japan. It least each pros and cons from packages,speed, pricing etc.

OCNmobileone IIJMO BMOBILE ecconect so-net(leasing line from docomo), UMOBILE(au) are some of the MVNO that offer longterm service. Recently many MVNO are popping..

Docomo lines MVNO tend to have variable fluctuating speed since many are using it. AU based MVNO are better on speed/stability since being new player, thus less customer.

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/25 14:13
Is it possible to have a data/sms/call plan without a lock in period? I already have a sim free phone

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/25 23:34
My Galaxy Note 5 works great from Bic sim. Used my US visa.
by pet5757 rate this post as useful

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/26 09:32
Is it possible to have a data/sms/call plan without a lock in period?
Not sure what you mean but most mvno require at least 6 months for voice/data.
It is to deter/prevent people from abusing the MNP offer package, making money from it.
As long as your phone is unlock and support Japanese network band/freq. it will work.

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/26 23:29
Just signed a contract with WirelessGate

They have no lock in period and accepts international credit card.

My plan is data/sms/call

Its good so far, the only problem is i cannot register with ntt docomo (though i am not sure if its okay to register since i got the sim in wirelessgate) i just need to register to verify my age for LINE. (Help me with this!)

The four digit network code is not being recognized by docomo. Then how can i verify my age to fully use the line app?

Any users here?

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/28 09:35
Keep in mind (regardless of which phone OS direction you take) that if you will complete the 2 year contract then it could be net cheaper to go with a carrier contract rather than buying a used/unlocked phone and going with an MVNO.

Possible, but it depends on the specific phone model, service plan and promotions that you are comparing. Also have to consider what you are willing to give up for cheaper service (ie, 1500/mo MVNO plan is not equivalent to a 5000 yen big 3 carrier plan).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2-year contract for smartphone or use MNVO 2015/12/28 13:31
Unfortunately, the age verification for LINE, CANNOT be done using MVNO provider, although most leasing Docomo line.

It's the same problem for all MVNO users. Your phone/LINE is being 'tricked' that you are using Docomo line (Docomo SIM), thus require you to register Docomo ID. Docomo ID is only available to real Docomo subscriber.

You can register for Docomo ID using email(any email account is OK) but the network pin code for Docomo ID is only available to real subscriber.
Without the network pin code, you cannot do age verification for LINE.
The Network Pin code is provided during registration at Docomo. This can Pin can be change later on.

Tough luck.

Line 2015/12/28 16:57
Use Line on a PC then you can add friends. Don't need age verification.
by pet5757 rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread