Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 06:38
Hi! Me and my friends visited Japan last summer. My friend ate some kind of fish cake, which he loved. We can't seem to figure out what it is called, though. It was a small, round cake lying in some kind of yellowish juice. Do you have any suggestions on what it could be?
by Martin (guest)  

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 09:33
Was it sold at a food stall, or did you have one at a restaurant? Was it crunchy, hard, soft chewy, or how was it? Was it oily or dry? Was it white? Any "grilled" marks? Was it salty/savory or sweet?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 15:12
It was sold at a restaurant, and was pretty soft. It was oily.
by Martin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 15:19
Salty or sweet? Any filling? Can it be sweet "manju" (dumpling of different kinds) that were being fried in oil? Or was it served floating in a liquid?

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 15:25
It was served soaked in some kind of yellow-like fluid. It was quite small :)

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 15:27
In case it wasn't clear, there are infinite possibilities here, and we'll need a lot more information to help figure it out. While there are a few standards, fish cake can vary a lot and even has regional differences. Do you know where your friend had this dish, or even better, the name of the restaurant?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 15:29
I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it was situated on the 10th floor or so of Fukuyama(?) mall in Hiroshima :)

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 15:34
Was it sweet or savory/salty? Was it a dessert? Does your friend know for sure that it was fish? :) Was it at a Japanese cuisine restaurant?

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 16:12
It was a salty, fishey taste. I'm pretty sure it was not a dessert. We don't know for sure if it was a fishcake, bur judging from the taste that would be our guess.

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 16:13
It was a Japanese cuisine restaurant :)

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 18:48
Maybe get him to look up a picture of Satsuma age (although not usually served in a sauce to my knowledge)?
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 20:55
It looked a bit like the Satsuma Age, but not quite. The consistency reminded him of soggy bread. He said that it had an overwhelming taste of fish.

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 21:01
I have a picture of it, but it doesn't work to send it here. Do you have a place where I could send it? Facebook?

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 21:05
You could post it to a free photo-sharing site such as Flckr, and past the link here.

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/4 21:12

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/5 09:00
Looks like Ganmodoki tofu to me, not fish cake:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganmodoki
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/5 10:56
Agree with Uji, looks like ganmodoki rather than some sort of fishcake. I can see how they could be confused though.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/5 11:09
Agreed, especially when he described the consistency as like soggy bread. When you bite it the fluid leaks out which sounds awful but it tastes good.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/5 12:38
There is no doubt in my mind. It's a ganmodoki.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of fishcake could it be? 2016/1/5 21:40
It's ganmodoki, and probably fu ên on the right and fuki •™

The soup was most likely a good "dashi" which is sophisticated fish stock made from katsubushi (shaved dried fish) and konbu (thick seaweed), seasoned with soy sauce and perhaps mirin.

Ganmodoki itself taste as plain as tofu, so the fishy taste must have come from the good soup that it was soaked in.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread