Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About asking permission to send a present 2016/1/9 10:23
Good afternoon.

My situation is this one: I have a very dear overseas friend, she's from Osaka and I wanted to send a present to her, however, even though I'm trying to learn Japanese, I'm not that good yet I think, (I'm very self conscious ) so it's kind of complicated, even though I know she will understand what I want to say, I wanted to send a proper message asking for her address and the permission to sent something, in Japanese.

How can I ask her?, I want to tell her, also, that I'm glad I met her and that I'm thankful for her friendship, and that I hope her life is full of success this year. (Which is the reason for the present )

I hope you can help me, this is very important to me.

Thank you!
by Maria (guest)  

Re: About asking permission to send a present 2016/1/9 15:35
Hi,

I'm a Japanese.
I made sentences in my way considering what you'd like to tell her.
Hope it will be helpful for you.

Best wishes,
------------------------------------------------

Her name
   様
How are you?
お元気ですか?
Thank you for everything last year.
昨年は色々とお世話になりました。
I'd like to send you a present with my feelings of gratitude.
感謝の気持ちを込めて、私から贈り物をしたいと思っています。
Would it be possible if you could tell me your address?
もしよかったら送付先を教えていただけますか?
I'm glad that I was able to meet you, and I'm thankful for your friendship.
あなたに出会えたこと、そしてこの友情に心から感謝しています。
I hope it will be a wonderful year for you.
そして、あなたにとって素晴らしい一年になりますよう祈っています。
your name
by Hina77 rate this post as useful

Re: About asking permission to send a present 2016/1/9 15:57
Hello again,

I'm sorry I think the sentences I made might sound like that you'd like to send her a present because she helped you a lot last year.
In Japan, It's a natural thing to give and send a present at the end of a year with the feelings of gratitude. We call it Oseibo(お歳暮)
If you don't mean to do like Oseibo, the sentence below will be helpful.

I'd like to send you a present wishing you a successful year.
あなたの今年のご活躍を祈って贈り物をしたいと思います。
by Hina77 rate this post as useful

Re: About asking permission to send a present 2016/1/9 22:31
XX(her name) ni okurimono wo todoketai node jusho wo oshiete kudasai.
XX に贈り物を届けたいので住所をおしえてください。

XX ni aete totemo ureshikata.
XXに会えてとても嬉しかった。

Yoi ichinen ni narukotowo negatteimasu.
良い一年になることを願っています。

and also, Japan Post keeps letters/parcels for free up to 10 days since it's been arrived. So you can send a present/gift to the closest JP Post branch and tell her to pick up without asking her postal address(letter/parcel size, color, consignment number etc, to identify). She needs to take an ID card as to pick up.
I can tell you more about this service offered by JP Post if you want.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: About asking permission to send a present 2016/1/9 22:49
I would actually not make anything big out of the fact that you want to send a "present," but I would just say there is something I want to send you, so could you let me know your address, something like:
- ちょっとお送りしたいものがあるので、よかったら住所を教えてくださいませんか。(There is something small I want to send you, so could you, if it's OK with you, give me your address?)

And if she responds with her address, when you actually send her your gift, then add the phrase in a note saying:
友達でいてくれて、ありがとう。今年もいろいろお付き合いくださいね。
(Thanks for being my friend. I hope you will continue to associate with me this year too.) The way I phrased it implies an informal friend, not a work colleague or anyone senior to you.

To me, "oseibo" is something you send in early December, usually to family or work acquaintances, and is something formal, which requires something in return. And saying "I want to send a present" makes it too big a thing.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread