Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using USA cell phones in Japan 2016/1/11 04:47
I just returned from a trip to Japan, and would like to share what I discovered. I had no reason for voice calling while in Japan, but wanted data service on our family's 4 smart phones. (Google Maps, and general browsing, are godsends for getting around Tokyo!) After research, I learned that SoftBank rented sim cards at the airport, but when I arrived, was disappointed that they ran out of the nano sims to fit our phones. However, right across from the SoftBank counter at Narita is a vending machine from U-Mobile. (run on the NTT Docomo network) They had the nano sims to fit our Verizon Galaxy S6 and Verizon IPhone 5S and 6 phones in our family. At 2,000 yen for the week, this was a phenomenal deal, and a fraction of the price of Softbank and others. These sims have a daily limit of 200MB which is far more than you need for Google Maps and general browsing. The setup was really easy, and it worked great! Note that all of the latest Verizon phones work without needing to be unlocked. AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint phones will NOT work! We even used Facebook Messaging to keep in contact with other members of our family, since text messaging doesn't work as it comes across their voice channels, these are data-only sims. I hope this info can assist others
by Jeff W (guest)  

Re: Using USA cell phones in Japan 2016/1/15 17:30
Dear Jeff, I couldn't agree more.
This is where I found information about iPhone compatibility with Japanese network and necessary settings so maybe it is helpful for others, too. Cheers
https://www.sakuramobile.jp/japan-sim-card/japan-sim-card-iphone-guide...
by Phillip (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread