Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

sending parcel from japan 2016/3/6 15:46
hi, so ill be in japan 3 month and I'm interested in sending gifts and clothes I wont need outside of japan
now I know I can do it by sending parcel from japan post office
I would like to know how hard it will be to send those packages since my Japanese is very limited
are there any steps I can take to make it easier?
by Sigal  

Re: sending parcel from japan 2016/3/6 17:14
If it's already packaged, just show them the package and the address, they will know what to do.

If you want to buy a box (a normal sized one costs a couple hundred yen), the word is "hako".
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: sending parcel from japan 2016/3/7 00:30
Ok thank you
And can I send the package on every post office around Japan?
by Sigal rate this post as useful

Re: sending parcel from japan 2016/3/7 03:32
yes
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: sending parcel from japan 2016/3/7 08:37
When sending out parcels, you need to fill out a small customs declaration form at the post office (you write this out in English), so just be prepared to write how many of what kind of items you have in there (just generally, like "3 key chains - $10 each, 3 books - $5 each, etc.).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: sending parcel from japan 2016/3/8 00:51
They have boxes of various sizes -- they're usually sized, like the 100 size box or the 300 size box. The prices are easy to see too.

The questions on the forms are all in English, and you can fill out the forms in English too. Here is their website in English: http://www.post.japanpost.jp/english/

The only thing you'll need to think about is choosing which way to ship things. The package will have four choices:

1. EMS

2. Air

3. SAL

4. Surface

EMS is fast but expensive. It's cheaper than air in some situations -- they will tell you. Air is the second cheapest. SAL is economy air (not available to all countries) and takes between 1-3 weeks. Surface is by sea and is the cheapest, but totally random in terms of time.
by edincoat rate this post as useful

Re: sending parcel from japan 2016/3/8 11:51
Don't forget. Depending on what you send and how much, you may need to include the individual weights of the items and total weight of the package.
by Zarf (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread