Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Old Japanese yen is it usable? 2016/3/28 01:34
My mother passed me some old Japanese 1000yen D series, wonder can it still be use in Japan?
by Kelly (guest)  

Re: Old Japanese yen is it usable? 2016/3/28 10:17
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Old Japanese yen is it usable? 2016/4/2 16:25

no problem, you can use them everywhere as 1000yen.

by fassaeco rate this post as useful

Re: Old Japanese yen is it usable? 2016/4/3 02:20
You can use that, but that has value more slightly than the present money.  So I'll recommend to sell it to a thrift shop for a gold note.
by ShinobiE609 rate this post as useful

Re: Old Japanese yen is it usable? 2016/4/3 15:22
Basically "still vaild" is correct.

But... NOT so easy at everywhere.
The reason is very simple newest "E" notes started from 2004.
So,
1) most vending machines(for tickets/drinks and more) have been updated for new notes already.
2) young Japanese workers(mainly cashier) don't know/remember well.(not never seen)
3) foreign part time/temporary workers(mainly cashier) don't know/never seen usual.
Can you determine bellow pic's women workers are Japanese or not exactly/quickly?
https://arubaito-ex.jp/job_images/2941/29411804/6350599.jpg
(Center woman is Chinese, also right women are Korean so both are NOT Japanese)

However, exchange at any bank/post office in Japan no need exchange fee.
No need sell at thrift or coin(money collectors) shop before.
"D" banknotes are no value just will be same value notes.
by ZGTe (guest) rate this post as useful

Off-topic 2016/4/3 16:46
Rather off-topic, the other poster reminded me of the time we visited the U.S. from Japan for the first time in 40 years. My father brought along some 40 year old Kennedy coins to a post office there to be exchanged. The old clerk dealed with no problem. A much younger clerk bothered to come out from the back just to see these rare coins that he had never seen before, which was quite fun for my dad.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread