Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Food to eat apart from seafood in Hokkaido 2016/4/9 16:32
Are there other restaurants that offer foods other than seafood such as crab, or squid ? I want to eat such popular food as Tonkutsu. Is it difficult to find such food? Any restaurants in Sapporo to be recommended? Thank you.
by Wis (guest)  

Re: Food to eat apart from seafood in Hokkaido 2016/4/9 19:07
Are you just looking to avoid things like shellfish, squid, etc? Or can't you eat any seafood at all?

Tonkatsu in incredibly popular, you will have no problems finding it in such a major city.
by ///// (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food to eat apart from seafood in Hokkaido 2016/4/9 20:34
http://tabelog.com/hokkaido/A0101/A010101/1048630/

this yakiniku place has rabbit, bear, boar, crocodile meat
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food to eat apart from seafood in Hokkaido 2016/4/9 21:04
Sapporo specialty is soup curry and ramen and Genghis Khan (mutton and lamb).
I went to eat Genghis Khan to Asahi beer garden, you can enjoy if group.
Please refer to here as a reference.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g298560-Sapporo_Hokkaido.htm...
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Food to eat apart from seafood in Hokkaido 2016/4/9 21:10
By the way, Tonkatsu Restaurant is here.
http://tabelog.com/en/hokkaido/rstLst/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&maxLat=&minLat=&... 12 & ChkCard = & LstSitu = 0 & LstRev = 0 & LstReserve = 0 & ChkParking = 0 & LstSmoking = 0 & SrtT = trend & PG =
http://tabelog.com/en/hokkaido/rstLst/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&maxLat=&minLat=&... 12 & ChkCard = & LstSitu = 0 & LstRev = 0 & LstReserve = 0 & ChkParking = 0 & LstSmoking = 0 & SrtT = trend & PG =
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Food to eat apart from seafood in Hokkaido 2016/4/9 21:53
Perhaps you may wanna consider these restaurants?

Sapporo Ramen Kyouwakoku/Republic
Located in Sapporo Station. It's an area where you can get different types of ramen. We tried curry ramen at Ajisai (this restaurant originated from Hakodate btw) in this area and it's really good! Or you can also try Hotate Ramen (Scallop Butter Corn Ramen)

Lavi
Soup curry is one of Hokkaido's specialty here and you can try this restaurant (also in Sapporo Station).

Kinotoya
For desserts, you can try baked cheestarts from this shop.

Nemuro Hanamaru
Affordable and good kaiten sushi (but imo you should consider trying Topii Sushi at Otaru instead if you happen to be there)

The first time we tried to get into this kaiten sushi restaurant, the queue was way too long, so we actually had our lunch at another restaurant nearby (they specialize in black pork) I couldn't remember the name of the restaurant but we had a really good meal in that restaurant too.

Jingisukan Daruma Rokuyon
Gengkhis Khan lamb BBQ, highly recommended if you're at Susukino area!

Hope this helps :)
by gpl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food to eat apart from seafood in Hokkaido 2016/4/10 13:42
Thank you very much for all helpful comments.
by Wis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Food to eat apart from seafood in Hokkaido 2016/4/11 14:15
Hokkaido is also popular for their vegetables such as corn, potatoes, onions, asparagas and many more, as well as their dairy products. Don't miss them!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Food to eat apart from seafood in Hokkaido 2016/4/11 17:09
I like Hokkaido's dairy. Probably why their chocolates are famous. Expounding on that, eat their ice-cream and pudding and drink milk. I usually get a fresh bottle of milk from the hotel (the delivery man comes every morning with fresh stock).

In summer fruits and vegetables are aplenty. I can only remember trying their corn (nearly every time I saw a corn store) and grapes.

Their beef is also great. There are cheap Wagyu beef steak/grill houses outside of Sapporo main city area making it cheaper. (Nearer for the farmers to transport and lesser rent)

I am not a fan of Hokkaido-style ramen, I prefer the Kyushu variant. If you like a clearer and less oily version, then go right ahead. The Hakodate Ramen has seafood so you might want to give that a miss.

Trying the local game meat is rather interesting as you get to experience meat besides the usual: Pork, Beef, Whatever meat chicken produces.

In summer if you are in central Hokkaido you can treat yourself to Lavender and Melon flavored food. (The melon raw too if wanted)
Yubari melon is the most famous (and expensive).

Alcohol and sweets (chocolates/cakes) are another fancy of Hokkaido. Besides the usual Nihonshu there are a variety of beer and perhaps whisky companies. Kirin, Sapporo (guess where the name is from!), and a number of other beer companies manufactures from here. Guess the highlands means cleaner air and water plus cheaper rent.

If you really want to have a taste of the regional/local specialities do stay in a ryokan with half board. Ask for the Kaiseki Ryori (without seafood) or Buffet option. E.g. Lodging in Lake Toya, Daisetsuzan, Noboribetsu onsen...etc
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread