Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Hard Drives work on USA laptops? 2016/6/4 07:16
Hello, I am wondering if Japanese external hard drives work on computers bought in the USA? I am shooting 4K video and might exceed my current external hard drive. In this case, I may have to buy a external hard drive (desktop or travel external hard drive) inside Japan. Will any external hard drive work or should I buy a hard drive here before I leave for Japan. If I can't, are there any places that sell products meant to be used in US electronics or duty free international products?
by Nicholas (guest)  

Re: Japanese Hard Drives work on USA laptops? 2016/6/5 10:54
If the prices for external HDs are anything like the prices of flash cards, it's best to buy it in America and take it there. For example, a 64GB flash card that costs $25 in the US will cost you over $100 in Japan. Get a 2Tb external HD on Amazon for about $90.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Hard Drives work on USA laptops? 2016/6/5 16:57
Hello, I am wondering if Japanese external hard drives work on computers bought in the USA?

Yes

Will any external hard drive work or should I buy a hard drive here before I leave for Japan.

The prices in Japan are quite competitive, so I'd probably wait to get a new one here unless you have a specific model in mind that you know is cheaper in the US. You can price check using amazon japan.

If the prices for external HDs are anything like the prices of flash cards, it's best to buy it in America and take it there. For example, a 64GB flash card that costs $25 in the US will cost you over $100 in Japan. Get a 2Tb external HD on Amazon for about $90.

The prices may be higher for the newest, highest capacity cards and hdds, but not by 400%. Typically name brand cards are around 10-20% more expensive in Japan. If you aren't picky about brand then the costs are virtually the same. For example, 64gb cards go for around $15-45 and 2tb external drives start around $70 on amazon japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Hard Drives work on USA laptops? 2016/6/5 20:35
yllwsmrf, I am most likely wrong, but I saw some prices at Yodobashi and my jaw dropped.... And it wasn't just for some newer models; it was across the board.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Hard Drives work on USA laptops? 2016/6/6 08:50
Fair enough. The prices for flash memory at yodobashi and other brick and mortar retail outlets do tend to be excessively high. Best to shop for these things online.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread