Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting a car changing Work to Tourist visa 2016/7/12 17:36
Hi everyone,

I have a problem,
As a British citizen I can be on tourist visa in Japan for up to 6 months, but I understand I won't have a residence card. I don't really intend to work, but

The problem is that I intend to stay for 6 months and that I have a cat, so I really need a car, and quotes of £7k just don't agree with me at all.

So my question is:
Can I teach English for a month and then drop out (as many people seem to do anyway) and change my status to Tourist (sorting out my car pickle in this first month?)

Are there any problems with this plan?
Is there an easier way to get a car?

Thanks
by E21st (guest)  

Re: Getting a car changing Work to Tourist visa 2016/7/12 19:25
I have a cat, so I really need a car

Why? If you are worried about transportation, small animals like cats are allowed on virtually all trains and buses (except mostly overnight buses) if you put them in a transportation cage.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a car changing Work to Tourist visa 2016/7/12 20:01
I don't know where you got the 7,000 sterling figure (is that for leasing?), but as a local with a few cats and no car, we get by fine with occasional taxi rides (to the vet and things like that, I assume). Maintaining a car (I guess you are thinking of buying one?) is not inexpensive, with insurance and whatnot.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a car changing Work to Tourist visa 2016/7/12 20:42
You are going to need this
http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/import-other.html

To be honest, it seems borderline cruel to put your cat through such stress for only 6 months in Japan. If you were relocating for many years, it may be worth it, but 6 months? It will certainly not be cheap.

I agree with the others: ownership of a cat almost certainly doesn' t require a car.

Changing from a work to a tourist visa would be easy - just visit immigration. However, you need an employer to sponsor a work visa, and they're not going to be pleased if you quit after a month. You may not care, but you would have just made it a bit harder for the next person, since that employer is going to remember just how "dishonourable" foreigners are.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a car changing Work to Tourist visa 2016/7/13 00:28
Oooh I think you also posted on japantravel on reddit.

I'm afraid you won't get any answer you'll like.
by Asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a car changing Work to Tourist visa 2016/7/13 05:01
I agree that changing visas was a bit of a hotheads train of thoughts

Nevertheless if anyone knows how to buy a kei car without residence permit, I'd appreciate
by E21st (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a car changing Work to Tourist visa 2016/7/13 16:49
The problem is that I intend to stay for 6 months and that I have a cat

Cats are easily and freely transportable on public transportation. You just need a carrier which costs around 1500+ yen depending on size and complexity.

The bigger problem will be bringing the cat in the first place. She'll likely need rabies vaccinations and lots of leadup time before you can bring her. Also expect to have less housing options.

so I really need a car, and quotes of £7k just don't agree with me at all.

Those quotes are awfully high. You can find long term rentals for far cheaper, but don't forget to factor in the cost of parking. That alone will be several thousand yen+ depending on your accommodations.

Can I teach English for a month and then drop out (as many people seem to do anyway) and change my status to Tourist (sorting out my car pickle in this first month?)

This is generally a bad plan considering the effort required to get a work visa. Why not apply for a WHV instead? Seems that might fit your needs better.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a car changing Work to Tourist visa 2016/7/13 21:16
Thank you for your reply,

Well, I'm a bit over 30, so I can't get Working holiday visa really.
We have an unique opportunity for a gap year and knowing our habits 6 months without car would be tough.

If you could give me some links to cheaper car rental, it'll give you massive karma points and my huge thank you, because 7k for 6 months is what it would cost me to hire a car through English speaking websites.
Whether they show it to me because I'm in Britain, or if it's what they want to charge foreigners anyway, I really can't say

Re: Getting a car changing Work to Tourist visa 2016/7/13 22:04
This is a train country, six months without a car is easy. Some places it's good to have one, but I predict you'll be absolutely fine.

Frankly for such a short stay in he country I think obtaining a car will be more trouble that it is worth unless all you are going to be doing is exploring deepest rural Hokkaido.
by L (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a car changing Work to Tourist visa 2016/7/13 22:45
Thanks for heads up, L

Re: Getting a car changing Work to Tourist visa 2016/7/13 23:07
your first permission is 3 months. I think you can't rent it for 6 months from the beginning.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a car changing Work to Tourist visa 2016/7/14 13:09
Well, I'm a bit over 30, so I can't get Working holiday visa really.

I see, well then I would prepare to stay the whole 6 months without working as getting a work visa is probably not a realistic possibility in your situation.

We have an unique opportunity for a gap year and knowing our habits 6 months without car would be tough.

If you live in any med to large city a car ends up being more of a hassle than a benefit. You end up just paying a lot to store it cause you can't really use it to get around locally.

If you could give me some links to cheaper car rental, it'll give you massive karma points and my huge thank you, because 7k for 6 months is what it would cost me to hire a car through English speaking websites.

Totally dependent on where you will be living, and the best place to ask are the local expats in your area.

Whether they show it to me because I'm in Britain, or if it's what they want to charge foreigners anyway, I really can't say

English sites don't necessarily price gouge. It's probably more that you aren't finding good long term rental places.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread