Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Health Insurance for PR holders 2016/7/19 16:19
I am living in Japan for more than 10 years. One question always come in my mind. I asked immigration over phone
1) Why it is compulsory to submit the health insurance copy at the time of visa extensions after 2012.
Answer: Yes now a days, it is compulsory.
2) What if somebody donot pay health insurance then what?
Answer: Then it is considered as free(‚»‚ê‚̓tƒŠ[‚É‚È‚é) and not good for the record.
3) Why it is not compulsory for PR holders(‰iZ). Many PR holders dont pay. Then? Why it is not common for PR and non-PR holders.
Answer: No answer. The immgration person was silent and replied that he will check.
I also heard, some person who worked more than 10 years in Japan and applied for PR, His PR was rejected because he did not pay the health insurance. Please share your knowledge or comments if any.
by Guest21 (guest)  

Re: Health Insurance for PR holders 2016/7/19 18:24
Enrollment in the National Health Insurance is mandatory if you are not insured through your employer. See http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/law/detail/?id=2453&vm=04&re=0...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Health Insurance for PR holders 2016/7/19 22:19
As far as I know, PR or not, if you are living in Japan for longer than 6 months (I think), you need to enroll in National Health Insurance unless you are enrolled at your Japanese employer's health insurance scheme. You should consider it as part of your taxes; it is not optional.

Among the locals, too, students are encouraged to sign up at age 20. If your income becomes so low that you cannot afford it, you need to show up at the social security office, explain the situation, and get an exemption for that year/period.

What they meant by "free" (my guess) that it is "a choice you are making at your free will/discretion," but since it is mandatory, it will not be good for the record.

They used not to remind people again and again to pay, but they do nowadays, reflecting the apparent deficit in the money that is available.

So... to be a good citizen, PR or not, you should be paying into the system.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Health Insurance for PR holders 2016/7/19 22:22
haha, are foreigners equal to beggars ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Health Insurance for PR holders 2016/7/19 23:01
Basically, you are required to enroll if you reside in Japan; and you are considered to reside in Japan if you stay for more than three months and under a status other than Diplomat, Official, and Temporary Visitor.

There are other cases where you may be allowed (but not required) to enroll, such as if you make many short visits for work over a long period.

Re: Health Insurance for PR holders 2016/7/20 11:43
Thanks a lot for your comments.
Dear Ken(Guest). Thanks for your comment too. God has made everybody's food. Nobody is begger.OK. We drink same water, food, same diseases for all.
I always think that everybody must pay it and contribute to this country. Because old people are growing here. So all young people should pay. I just observed some people dont pay after they get PR. So the rule is not strictly observed for the PR holders. I guess.

by Guest21 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Health Insurance for PR holders 2016/7/20 15:43
The rule is not strictly enforced for anybody, in the sense that they don't come after you and put you in jail if you don't enroll. But it can cause various difficulties down the road

reply to this thread