Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to sublet for 3 months in Tokyo? 2016/8/10 11:32
Hello,

My fiance and I are planning the big move to tokyo next year to teach english. Before we can actually rent an apartment we need to get out workers visa and jp bank account etc etc..

But, does anyone know of sites or business that sublet apartments to foreigners as tourists for 3 months? I feel like people will say its difficult but i know that, i just need some help in the right direction or alternative options. links would also be great!

thanks!
by mceja1988  

Re: How to sublet for 3 months in Tokyo? 2016/8/10 14:41
Can you clarify, if you are coming on a work visa, why would you need to find a place to sublet to a temporary visitor for 3 months?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How to sublet for 3 months in Tokyo? 2016/8/10 19:38
@ yllwsmrf

I guess they plan to come over on a tourist visa and look for work so need somewhere to stay while doing so?

OP, bear in mind that as a couple, your opportunities for finding work for both of you will inevitably be tougher than for an individual alone. You might have better luck in areas outside Tokyo, where the competition for jobs will be much harder. You'll probably end up working for different employers rather than being able to find a job working together.

There are shared 'gaijin houses' which could offer a solution to your problem but if you specifically need / want an apartment, AirBnB is probably a good option.
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to sublet for 3 months in Tokyo? 2016/8/10 19:55
I believe "monthly/weekly apartments" and guesthouses (not necessarily shared ones; they have self-contained apartment units as well) are what you would be looking for.

Indeed, if you are coming over to look for work, it would be more difficult for the two of you to find work and get work visa process done in time; in case only one of you find a job in time, unless you are married the other person would have to leave. Any way for you to try to find work from where you are, possibly through recruiters that recruit outside Japan?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to sublet for 3 months in Tokyo? 2016/8/10 21:27
This company rents apartments to tourists. I've stayed with them 3 times and can highly recommend them.

http://www.liveinasia.com/
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to sublet for 3 months in Tokyo? 2016/8/11 07:18
A lot of places will rent to foreiners. Look for 'gaijin houses', 'foreigner apartments', and 'guest houses'.

Example
http://www.sakura-house.com
by Zarf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to sublet for 3 months in Tokyo? 2016/8/11 08:20
Saru Bob,

Thanks, that's also what I was suspecting. Was just hoping to get some clarification first before the thread careens off in its own directions.

mceja1988,

Some quick advice then. One year before you plan to depart is plenty of time to secure employment and visas for both you and your partner. This is the preferred and smoothest route.

Some people may find it easier to job search in person (others find it more difficult). I'd keep that reserved as a last resort as it greatly complicates your situation. Assuming you find work, visa processing can take up to 1-3 months meaning you may have to leave Japan anyway while before your visa processes. Housing will be the least of your worries, as temporary housing is easily available.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How to sublet for 3 months in Tokyo? 2016/8/11 22:29
Sakura House is one, but there are several companies that do rentals that are foreigner friendly - my current apartment is via Oak House - they have around 5000 rooms in Tokyo (I met the president of the company by random chance when out drinking, but the company is good).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread