Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/13 13:29
Hi Everyone,

My partner recently secured an engineering job with a company in Kawasaki and we are arriving in Japan next week.

Can anyone advise what the process is for finding a real estate agent to help us with our apartment search?

Also, do you have any neighbourhood recommendations? Would it be practical to live somewhere like Fujisawa or Kamukura and commute to Kawasaki?

Our 'dream apartment' would be somewhere close to a beach or park where we could go for long walks without being in traffic the whole time, with two bedrooms and a balcony. Our budget is around 100,000 yen per month. We're not really bothered about having a long walk to the train station if it means we get a bit more space.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
by valerie1234  

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/13 16:00
Is your partner's employer helping the two of you with the search? Usually the employer becomes the guarantor for the rent agreement, so they are the one to talk to. (I don't know how long the job assignment/contract is, but for a regular apartment rental that runs in units of two years, you do need the employer or a family member in Japan as a guarantor. Ask them if they can help.)

If you are arriving in Japan as soon as next week, for now I suggest booking a hotel with ki‚”chenette or furnished "monthly/weekly apartment" near where you want to live to tide you over until you find a more permanent place.

The average time for people who work in central Tokyo to commute to work is something like one hour each way, so choosing a place a bit away is certainly an option too.

When we describe apartment layout, we often talk of "2LDK" or "3LDK," for couples or families "LDK" stands for living room, dining room & kitchen" combined, and "2LDK" means you have that LDK plus two other rooms, and usually a "unit bath," meaning a combined toilet & bath. And the LDK could be the size of something like 18 square meter or 20 square meters. Each of the 2 rooms would be 11 square meters or so (just typically speaking).

While I would say 100,000 yen a month for a family sized apartment would be a bit too tight as budget in Tokyo, you might find something in the suburbs, particularly if you do not mind walking a bit and taking a bus to the station.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/13 16:16
Can anyone advise what the process is for finding a real estate agent to help us with our apartment search?

If budget is not an issue, and if your husband's company doesn't have any specific recommendations, try Ken Coorporation which has a good reputation for providing housing for foreign residents in Japan.
http://www.kencorp.co.jp/?&gclid=CPixx7Xpvc4CFQ0JvAodkV8MKA

Also, do you have any neighbourhood recommendations? Would it be practical to live somewhere like Fujisawa or Kamukura and commute to Kawasaki?

A lot of locals do. But it depends on which train stations you're using. The city of Kawasaki is huge. Typically, locals look for ways to secure empty seats on their commuter trains and not having to change trains from station to station. Also, if the company is not paying for commuting fees, your transportation fee may become a burden.

Our 'dream apartment' would be somewhere close to a beach or park where we could go for long walks without being in traffic the whole time

Keep in mind that the so-called Shonan area (Fujisawa, Kamakura etc.) is infamous for the heavy traffic jam on summer weekends, as well as sunset hours on weekdays throughout the year. The trains can be packed with tourists as well. Needless to say, you have to keep in mind the salt and sand in the air that may sometimes affect your laundry and car.

But if you stay away from the streets during those hours, it would be a nice area to live in. I also hear that there are areas where you can avoid the bad affects by the air and enjoy the coastal life at the same time.

You may also know that Tokyo doesn't have any cozy beaches, but Chiba may also be an option. By the way, I figure that you are not in a position of being concerned about schooling for children.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/14 08:19
I've been spending some of my summer in Kawasaki and I know from previous rental searches there are some places, but not so many. Yokohama has more. Some of the suburbs are quite good, and I have been finding the area interesting - however, for a beach, I visited Odawara last week but that is quite a distance.

I would advise against a long commute (from somewhere like Kamakura) until you find out the logistics of where you are working and travelling to/from. A lot of overseas people find something in Yokohama, but for your budget 100k might not get you what you are after - searching the rental sites will give you an idea.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/14 11:33
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I appreciate the help! We have worked out that my partner will be commuting on the JR Nambu line, so that's a start :)

AK, thank you for the breakdown of renting terminology, that was really helpful. Unfortunately no - my partner's employer isn't helping us with the housing search but they have told us they will be the guarantor for us. His position is permanent, so a two year lease shouldn't be a problem.

Uco - thank you for the link, and the tips - coming from South Australia where it's never very crowded anywhere it hadn't occurred to me to think about traffic jams and packed trains in the summer!

JapanCustom Tours - thanks for the advice on the commute from Kamakura. It sounds like we should probably try to get a hotel room in Yokohama and just try to explore once we get there.

Can anyone advise how to engage with a rental agent? Do you just contact them about a specific property listed on one of the websites?

I saw a YouTube video recently where the couple met with an agent, and the agent drove them around to a number of properties which met their requirements - is this typical service?

Again, thank you everyone - with only a week in Japan before my partner starts working, we really appreciate the help with targeting our accommodation search!
by valerie1234 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/14 12:40
I'm guessing your partners employer is near JR Nambu Line then? I'd also consider northern Kawasaki or western Tokyo. No beaches, but should open up more rental possibilities.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/14 12:56
Hi again.

If he's commuting to a Nambu Line station, and you love the ocean, I can think of two options.

1. As you suggested, live near a JR Tokaido Line station such as Fujisawa, Chigasaki or Tsujido, where swimming beaches are closer, and transfer at JR Kawasaki station when you commute.

2. Live near a Toyoko Line station, and transfer at Musashi-kosugi station when you commute. The southern part of the Toyoko Line is closer to the harbor. You can't swim at the harbor, but the sea is cozy to spend time near by, and you can make easy day trips to the truly nicer beaches in Miura, Hayama, or of course the decent beaches of Kamakura/Zushi areas.

When exploring beforehand, make sure you visit at least on both weekdays and weekends, and if possible at various hours of the day. Make sure you check where and how (such as walking distance and parking availablities) you buy your groceries and its prices. But most locals walk rather than drive, because it gives you a lot more freedom.

Also keep in mind that beaches are very different depending on what part of the planet you visit. The popular beaches of Fujisawa/Kamakura may not be what people from South Australia would expect, in terms of summer crowds, noise and the color of the water/sand. On the other hand, some of the further beaches can be much more quieter, cozier and cleaner, although the water in Kanto Region is not necessarily blue. That said, I do have a lot of friends who live in Kamakura/Fujisawa and drive (on weekdays). You can live comfortablly if you know the trick.

Actually though, the Nambu Line is very accessible to the better parts of the great river of Tamagawa. You may want to think about switching your preferances to the river rather than the sea. You can still make day trips to beaches and harbors.

Hope you have fun home-hunting.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/14 13:18
Uco-san gave plenty of suggestions for the areas, so I'll focus on the estate agent part.

Is your partner Japanese, or at least one of you speaks fluent Japanese? If not, you'd need to arrange for someone to help you at least when you go talk to estate agent (OK for just going around to have a look at different areas of course). Even if not, he'd need to put together some phrases in Japanese he can use to introduce yourselves and your situation, including: what kind of property you are looking for (size and general location), where you will be working at, the fact that the company will be the guarantor, etc.

Also, even if the company is not going to help you with the search, it would make things a lot easier if you get introduced to an agent with the employer's HR or somebody together, and get HR to tell them in person that you will be looking for the apartment yourselves but that they'll be the guarantor, etc. so the estate agent doesn't have to ask you about those "procedural" issues. At least be sure to get some company business cards printed so that your partner can take them with him, or get one card from the HR person who might help with the guarantor part later.

The type where they drive you around tends to be for the, um, expensive range of apartments, and estate agents might do this if they know it will be a corporate rent agreement and they want to be nice and make sure they get future business with them. With "ordinary" rent range, they might walk with you to the property, or might drive you to one property. But in any case you want to try walking from the station to the property to see how long the walk is, and what kind of neighborhood it is.

One way to proceed: If you find something good from the web listing, then check who the estate agent is, and get the company personnel to accompany you once to meet that agent.
Another way: ask the company to give you a reference for an agent (a locally reputable one), then get them to accompany you, and select from what they have.

Just for your reference, in the not-so-expensive northwest area of Tokyo, but within 8 minutes' walk from a nearby station that get us to a major station on JR Yamanote line in 20 minutes' ride, we used to pay 135,000 yen a month for a "2LDK" apartment with the size of 53 square meters.
In a relatively expensive southwest area of Tokyo, 5-minute' walk from the station that got me to a major station on JR Yamanote line in 15 minutes, I used to pay 85,000 yen for a studio (just a single room with a kitchenette & bath & toilet unit) when I was single.

Best wishes for your search!
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/14 14:49
Thank you so much Uco & AK! I am really grateful for your help - I definitely feel like I have a clearer idea of what I need to do when we arrive now, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply :)

Thank you again!
by valerie1234 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/14 15:14
I am a long time ago, commuting to Musashi Nakahara Station, I lived in Nakanoshima Station.
If your husband's workplace Musashi Kosugi, it is possible to go without transfer to Kamakura Station in Yokosuka line.
From Kamakura Station to Yuigahama is about 20 minutes walk.
However, the return of the train of Yokosuka line is not nearly sit.
From Kawasaki Station it is possible to go without change to the Fujisawa Station Tokaido Line.
However, you can not see the sea from Fujisawa Station.
Odakyu Enoshima line or Enoden line, requires a transfer to the bus.
It is not possible to almost sit nor return to go perhaps from Fujisawa Station.
I may have been commuting from Ninomiya Station, was fully booked at the Hiratsuka Station.
Although it is not fashionable, the northern part of the Kawasaki easy living.
Because there is a train station Noborito end point, it is more convenient to there.
If you find a fashionable, but a little higher rent, it is recommended ShinYurigaoka Station and musashikosugi station.
Toyoko line wayside has a high rent.
Recommended Among them is Okurayama Station and Motosumiyoshi to express do not stop.
Okurayama station is fashionable shops increases recently.
Motosumiyoshi station seems mall that Bremen street is substantial.
Possibly, it may be willing to introduce a real estate company in the company.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/14 15:21
By the way, it may not be seen so much beautiful sea in Kawasaki, there is the Tama River.
Or cycling the Tama River, it is also recommended to take a walk.
If the child is present, it seems more of Tokyo has been enhanced welfare.
Futako Tamagawa Station has a high rent, but it is very convenient.
Nearby Senzokuike might nature often.

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/14 19:58
AK:
Uco-san gave plenty of suggestions for the areas

According to her profile, Uco-san is residing in City of Yokohama (in Kanagawa Prefecture); that may make her comments on beaches in Kanagawa sound more convincing to you.

[Japanese words and customs]

AK:
Is your partner Japanese, or at least one of you speaks fluent Japanese?
Even if not, he'd need to put together some phrases in Japanese he can use to introduce yourselves and your situation

I agree.
Also, please make sure to check the amount of additional fees such as "shikikin" (deposit) and "reikin" (key money; literally meaning a reward).
- japan-guide.com: Finding an apartment
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2200.html

I guess that "kitchen" and "-LDK" can be understood, in the English pronunciations, by the Japanese staff of a real estate agent.

The term "2LDK" is read as ni-LDK or tsuu-LDK; the term "3LDK" is read as san-LDK.

For a toilet room, there is a term "ote-arai" which literally means washing a hand, but also "toile" can do; it is better not to use a similar euphemism in English like "rest room" or "bathroom" because that may be misunderstood as referring to another room.

[Commuting fees]

Uco:
Also, if the company is not paying for commuting fees, your transportation fee may become a burden.

Even if a company pays for commuting fees of its employees, there may be limits on routes and/or the amount of the total cost.
When your partner's commuting route includes a needless detour or the total commuting cost is too high, he may have to pay either fully or partially for the fees.

[Transportation]

The Nambu Line has a branch connecting Shitte and Hama-Kawasaki Stations.
If he uses Nambu Line's trunk and branch in succession, he needs to change trains in Shitte Station.

- JR-East: Maps of the railway network in and around Tokyo
: http://www.jreast.co.jp/map/pdf/map_tokyo.pdf
: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/info/map_a4ol.pdf

Uco:
1. As you suggested, live near a JR Tokaido Line station such as Fujisawa, Chigasaki or Tsujido, where swimming beaches are closer, and transfer at JR Kawasaki station when you commute.
2. Live near a Toyoko Line station, and transfer at Musashi-kosugi station when you commute.

Here bold and italicized "o" indicates that the "o" is pronounced long.

Several things to note
: Chigasaki, Tsujido and Fujisawa Stations are on the Tokaido Line, the (so-called) Ueno-Tokyo Line and the (so-called) Shonan-Shinjuku Line.
: Kawasaki Station is on the Nambu Line, the Tokaido Line and the Ueno-Tokyo Line, but it is not on the Shonan-Shinjuku Line.
: It is not recommendable that he makes, when he is commuting, a transfer in Musashi-Kosugi Station between the the Shonan-Shinjuku Line and the Nambu Line, because this transfer is long, with the two platforms located apart.
: A transfer in Musashi-Kosugi Stations between the Tokyu Toyoko Line and the JR Nambu Line is easy to make, with the two ticket gates located close to each other.

- JR-East: Map of Musashi-Kosugi Station
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1527.html

Please be careful not to mix up stations or lines which have similar names.
e.g.
: Stations whose names begin with "Musashi" on various lines.
: Keio Line of Keio Corporation and Keiyo Line of East Japan Railway Company [JR-East].
: Hatchonawate Station on the JR Nambu Line's branch and Hatchobori Stations on the JR Keiyo Line and the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line.

There are nine Tokyo Metro lines and four Toei Subway lines, forming a large network in Tokyo Metropolis and its surrounding prefectures.
http://www.tokyometro.jp/lang_en/station/rosen_en_160530.pdf
: This subway network is generally friendly to passengers, with guide signs found here and there in stations.
: In some cases, you may need to make a long transfer between two subway lines, for example, getting through the platform for another line or once going out to the ground.
: Some subway lines have a section of tracks on or above the ground.

[Waterfronts]

Uco:
You may also know that Tokyo doesn't have any cozy beaches, but Chiba may also be an option.

Well, I suppose that beaches for leisure in Chiba Prefecture are mostly along the Pacific Ocean in the prefecture's southern and the northeastern parts, away from Kawasaki in Kanagawa.
If you are interested in such a beach in Chiba, it sounds better to find your house at a place closer to his workplace then plan a holiday trip.

I have been living for years in a district along the Tokyo Bay in Chiba Prefecture's northwestern part.

The Keihin-Keiyo Industrial Zone spans along the Tokyo Bay from around Yokohama in Kanagawa to around Ichihara in Chiba.

While coasts and beaches along the Tokyo Bay in Chiba are rather artificial, one unique site which I can think of is Yatsu-higata, a tideland listed under the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance Especially as Waterfowl Habitat (better known as the Ramsar Convention); this area is surrounded by residential areas, schools, and roads.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

I don't recommend Chiba any more 2016/8/14 22:23
By the way, when I recommended living in Chiba, I didn't know that he was commuting to a Nambu Line station. (I was thinking that if his work place is closer to, for example, Kawasaki Station, he can consider commuting from Kisarazu area, depending on his company's policies).

I also don't really recommend trasferring to Yokosuka or Shonan Lines at Musashi Kosugi station.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/15 09:03
I've been commuting on the Nambu line the last couple of months between Tachikawa where I have my apartment and to a spot near Kawasaki where I have been doing some work. The transfer at Kawasaki is easy, but it just adds another connection for the commute.

When looking around at options we checked several places for location and quality. For Tachikawa it was at the better end and easy access to the river is one of the bonuses for me - it is well used by the locals for baseball, running/cycling, fishing. There are some good facilities in the area and while I'm spending a bit less than Y100k/month my apartment it is big by Tokyo standards (semi furnished/utilities included). If I need to go into the city (which I have to do today), it's only about 40 minutes to Shinjuku where my office is.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/15 12:45
If living in Chiba, there is a bus from Kawasaki Station to Kisarazu Station.
However, in the case of bad weather, become closed to traffic.
http://nitto-kotsu.co.jp/kosoku(kisa-kawa).htm
Time-consuming, but it is also possible to go in the Sobu Line.
Please check here the transfer of the train.
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Re: Where to live in Kanagawa / Tokyo? 2016/8/19 07:21
Thank you everyone, so much! I'm very sorry about my delayed response, we have been busily packing, cleaning, and getting our house ready for renting out which has made it hard to find time for using the computer!

I really look forward to reading through the replies in detail soon.

Thank you again!
by valerie1234 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread