Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Special Re-Entry/Resident Card 2016/9/6 15:14
Hi,

I've been worrying about my situation here. Hope I can some some answers from you guys.

I worked in Japan for 14 months since Sept 2014. I left my company and departed Japan in Dec 2015. I have a 5 years resident card/visa. My last departure in Dec 2015, at the airport, I did not give up my resident card, instead got a Special Re-Entry permit. So now, after almost 10 months out of Japan, I still have my resident (valid till 2020) and the Special Re-Entry slip in my passport (it says I can re-enter within a year). Also, I have yet to do my Lump-Sum Withdrawal Payment yet.

Now I'm planning to go back Japan for holidays end of this month (still within the one year special Re-Entry) duration. My question is, would I get in trouble if I try to enter the country with the same resident card? Also, while I was a way for 10 months, did I get taxed or charged for the pension money?

Would appreciate any answers. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Sid.
by Sid (guest)  

Re: Special Re-Entry/Resident Card 2016/9/6 20:14
As far as immigration is concerned, you can re-enter on your old status, no problem.

For the rest, did you notify your city office of your departure? If not, then I think as far as they are concerned you never left.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Special Re-Entry/Resident Card 2016/9/6 20:15
They will probably ask you are you returning to Japan to work; be sure you know what you want to say. If you don't plan on returning (this next visit or any time a bit later) to Japan to work, you can say honestly that you left your work, (didn't surrender the resident card back then because you weren't sure if you would soon try to come back to work again, etc.) and that you are returning only as a tourist. Then they will invalidate your work resident status, probably take away the resident card, give you a Temporary Visitor status/stamp in your passport, allowing you to stay as a tourist.

About your 10 months away, did you inform the city hall before leaving that you would be leaving? Also, did you inform immigration, when you left the company, that you left the company?
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread