Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bringing my family to Japan 2016/9/14 10:06
One day, I would like to bring my entire family to live Japan. We're all Americans. Roughly, what would be the most practical way for an American family to move to and live comfortably in Japan?
by Kawazoe Taiki  

Re: Bringing my family to Japan 2016/9/14 11:27
On what status are you in Japan currently? (Since you say you want to "bring" your family over, I am assuming you are in Japan now on a student or a work visa of some sort.)

If you hold a work (Japan-based employer sponsored) resident status, your spouse and your child (underage) can apply for "dependent" status to live with you for the duration of your work/study. I don't know exactly who you mean when you say your "entire family," but let's say with your parents this "dependent" will not apply unfortunately, so that they will have to be eligible on their own merits, such as finding work (work visa) or studying (student visa).

Since you do not mention any family ties with Japan (though your name suggests it?) I am assuming that you are not "nisei" or of Japanese ancestry.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing my family to Japan 2016/9/14 11:54
I'm sorry to be so vague. We are all currently in America. I am also not Japanese. I just created a name for myself. What I mean is, my family and I would like to one day move from America to Japan.
by Kawazoe Taiki rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing my family to Japan 2016/9/14 12:01
Oh, OK. Then (as above) if you find a job in Japan, get a work visa, come over, then your spouse and children can... as described in my second paragraph above. Japanese Immigration authorities generally grant visas/resident status only on "if needed" basis, meaning if you need to be in Japan to be able to work for a Japanese company in Japan, if you need to be in Japan to be able to study in Japan, etc., and there is no simple "immigrant" status.

If you've lived in Japan on work visa long enough, there is a way to apply for Permanent Resident status, but we are talking about 5, 10 years.

Please search this Forum for other threads related to moving to Japan.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing my family to Japan 2016/9/14 22:48
You want to go to Japan to retire and bring your family with you? Japan isn't a retire destination like other Asian countries, like Thailand. Immigration won't let you come to Japan unless there's a valid reason for you to be there, i.e. studies, work, tourism (temporary), diplomacy, religious activity, etc. You need to have a valid visa to enter Japan and "move to Japan" isn't a valid reason.
by <> (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing my family to Japan 2016/9/15 14:23
Roughly, what would be the most practical way for an American family to move to and live comfortably in Japan?

The most practical way would be for one of you to get a job in Japan that paid enough to support a family, then bring everyone else over on dependent visas. Keep working for ten years or so, then apply for a permanent residency.

If you have enough money that you don't need to work, you could buy an existing, successful company and install yourself in some official supervisory role. This will be much more complicated and expensive, and will require the services of a good lawyer or two.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread