Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is it like living in Japan? 2016/9/21 14:22
I'm a high schooler. My family doesn't want to take a vacation to Japan, so I won't be able to go for awhile. But, it's a dream of mine to live in Japan because I love the country, but I know everyone says visit before you move.

In short, what's it like living in Japan? How's lifestyle different from USA? Do you recommend I move there?
by Guest (guest)  

Re: What is it like living in Japan? 2016/9/21 16:39
Wages are lower
Apartments are lower
Crime is lower
You have to work harder
Holidays are fewer
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: What is it like living in Japan? 2016/9/21 20:25
Try and come as an exchange student. You don't need your family, and it's more like a long visit while being guaranteed by your school.

Difference? It really depends on what part of the U.S. and what part of Japan you're comparing it with. For teenagers, differences seem to be decreasing though.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: What is it like living in Japan? 2016/9/21 21:36
When I was a high school student, students from Australia there were 1 year in the same class.
She seems to have been an exchange student through the Rotary Club.
https://www.rotary.org/en/search/all
Besides, there seems to be of like an exchange and friendship and travel sister city.
When I was a company employee, there were also people who had gone to the 1-year exchange student in the United States in high school.
In the case of a shorter period of time, to recommend that you come to travel to Japan.
If the hostel, it would also be possible accommodation at the age of 16.
However, you may have the permission of the parents.
Women, what is safe to walk alone at night, will good point of Japan.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: What is it like living in Japan? 2016/9/21 23:57
Living in Japan is a really subjective thing. It really depends on your age, your personality, where you live and so many other factors.

The previous comment of possibly spending a year at a Japanese High School, or a semester at a Japanese College is a great opportunity.

I used to live in Japan (for 3 years) and found it reasonably difficult but also easy at the same time. For example - the convenience of travel, buying goods, getting parcels delivered until 9PM weeknights and so many other things fantastic. However - I found it difficult to get to know the locals and I found it boring living in Japan (during the weekdays). On weekends - I travelled a lot around Japan which were fantastic highlights.

I may have been critical about my time in Japan - but there were reasons why I did not enjoy certain aspects which were related to my own personality and where I lived. My idea of Japan being boring during the weekdays was based on living in a quiet suburban area (where nothing happens - EVER!). I moved to another part of Tokyo in my last month in Japan and it was so much more alive.

I'm also rather quiet and find it difficult to learn languages - which is a recipe for disaster for getting to know the locals. It's kind of like going to a party, sitting in the corner not speaking to anyone and complaining that no-one spoke to you!

So to put it simple - choose where you live carefully (if possible) and try and learn the language. A reasonable number of people in the larger cities do speak english - but learning the language is key.

Living in Japan for a short period of time - such as school or a language course is a great try before you buy which is something I highly suggest.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread