Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tattoo question, bath, onsen, stuff 2016/9/28 01:35
Hi,
I learned about the tattoo rule in japanese onsen, bath, ryokan, etc.

I got a tattoo like this
http://img07.deviantart.net/7973/i/2009/039/5/a/zelda_hylian_crest_tat...

Should it be any problem? It is located on upper arm.

Should I inquiry with the onsen or ryokan?
by Tattoo (guest)  

Re: Tattoo question, bath, onsen, stuff 2016/9/28 11:02
Doesn't matter what the design is. There are several onsen which allow tattoos; do a Google search to find various lists. If the onsen has a "No Tattoos" sign, you won't be allowed in.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo question, bath, onsen, stuff 2016/9/28 12:13
If the onsen has a "No Tattoos" sign, you won't be allowed in.

Not necessarily. Its not like staff perform a strip search on every guest to make certain no one has a tattoo. Its more like, if you go in and another guest complains to the staff, the staff can ask you to leave.

I recommend finding an onsen that is ok with tattoos, sticking to private onsens instead of public, or covering it up with something like a waterproof bandage. You could also just go in anyway (I know a number of people who do) and its a bit like roulette. There might be a time when you're asked to leave, or there might be times when it isn't ever a problem.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo question, bath, onsen, stuff 2016/9/28 14:46
Well I'd rather not do a roulette on that. Being naked and suddenly asked to leave. Well I understand the feeling since the connection is bad (yakuza) of course. But being the lone nude foreigner is quite enough for me already haha....
by Tattoo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo question, bath, onsen, stuff 2016/9/28 19:34
You're a funny guy :)

Yes, inquire the ryokan/bath. And here is a (Japanese language) list of facilities in Kanto that accept tattoos.
http://find-travel.jp/article/18883

If you can narrow down your destination, maybe someone can pinpoint some facilities in that area.

By the way, I personally don't think that the tattoo-banning has got to do with yakukza (they have another yakuza-banning rule). It's just that some people are plain scared of tattoos. There's lots of these people in other countries too, although the society tends to ignore that.

Your effort to keep a good reputation for tattooers will be appreciated. Have fun in Japan!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo question, bath, onsen, stuff 2016/9/28 21:35
Thank you. Well I know people who put small stuff or symbols (religious or non-religious) or even names of people they love. That is fine in my eyes.

But those with enormous body paint stuff, covering arms and stuff make me a bit uneasy too (unless I know the guy "wearing" it). Then the people with percings and stuff, well, to an extent is fine (my opinion) but overdo it and it looks a bit... too much....

A friend of mine cleaning aircraft accidentally ripped one of those belly peircings out when stuck in something. Oh dear oh dear.

Some 15-20 years ago people with tattoos or piercings were not accepted in health care jobs but now I see nurses and doctors with tattoos. The piercing is of course a matter of hygiene so I suppose that will have to wait.

But as you said, I totally understand the scaredy feeling from many people.

So far I do not bite anyway :)
by Tattoo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo question, bath, onsen, stuff 2016/9/30 22:17
I've just heard a youtuber talking about a website that have a map from Japan where you can see where are tattoos allowed (pools onsen, baths, hotels, etc) : tattoo-spot.jp
by Yaiza rate this post as useful

Re: Tattoo question, bath, onsen, stuff 2017/1/26 12:28
I'm not sure if this is too late but if it's small-medium you should be okay covering it with a waterproof bandage. In a very strict onsen that might not be okay but 98% of the time that will work :)
by Elivira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread