Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/9/30 14:28
Hi,

According to their official website, they say that Standard procedures duration is about 6 months. I was wondering should it take always 6 months? is there any cases where it takes less or more than 6 months?

Another question, after the investigation is over, they will be sending us the post card. Are we supposed to pay 8000 Yen only if the permanent residence is accepted or even if it is refused?

Thank you so much.
by Visahassle (guest)  

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/1 11:37
It depends. Mine took 4 and a half months. I've heard of it taking 10 months. It just depends on how busy they are and the specifics of your application.

Right, you only pay when it is approved.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/1 11:37
I have not yet applied for permanent residency so I can't comment on the length of time it takes, but for the postcard, you only pay if you are approved for the application. If you didn't get approved, you'd ideally still have time before your current status expires to reapply for it; for example, if you're on a spouse status, you'd apply for PR with the 6+ months remaining on that status as valid, so if you didn't get accepted for PR, you'd still have time to reapply for the spouse status before it expired. In that case, you'd pay just the 4000 yen for the spouse renewal instead of the 8000 yen for the PR.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/1 12:04
I agree with scarreddragon with the payment process. You only pay when you are granted the status.

About the processing time, when we went in August to apply for my non-Japanese spouse's PR (changing from "spouse" status), we were told it would take about 8 months.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/1 16:27
My PR application took almost exactly 6 months to the day to process. Same with my friend who applied at the same time.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/1 20:17
Just dig up me passport.
I was on spouse 1+3 with 1 kid, Fukushima-ken resident, applied PR 2 months after the big earthquake and nuclear disaster, got my PR in less than 3 month.
Male S.E Asian, earning less than 2mil yen, Father-In-Law as guarantor/sponsor. Paid my tax and health but not pension though.

Standard waiting is 6 months, so it is case by case.
nothing much you can do except get all the docs correctly, apply and wait.

You paid when your application is approved.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/3 21:19
Thanks a lot guys.

So, it depends. It may take more or less than six months. After six months passes, I will give them a call.

My working place will change. However, the area will still be Tokyo.
There will be no change in my contract. Should I inform the immigration office about this little change?

Thanka you so much
by Visahassle (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/4 09:25
That's depend on what your current resident status.
Are you on spouse or work?
Any changes related to your resident status will need to be notify.
Don't think you need to inform unless you change employer or contract.
Are you going to move ur accomodation too?
If so yov need to notify your ward office.

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/4 14:46
I am on spouse visa not on a working visa.
I still work for the same company and no change was in my contract.
Just the place where I work changed from Shibuya to Shinagawa (both are in Tokyo)
I continue to live in the same place. So, I made no change in my home address.
Thank you.

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/4 17:41
That said, anything changes related to your spouse status need to be notify to immigration.
Your employment is not related to your spouse status.

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/4 21:03
That said, anything changes related to your spouse status need to be notify to immigration. Your employment is not related to your spouse status.

These are two contradictory sentences as far as I can tell.
Work and spouse visa are strongly connected with each other. If I work in different city and live in a different city(with wife/children), this will let the immigration think that the marriage is not serious which can lead to PR application being denied.
Also, not working and having a stable income is strongly related to visa extension length. I think you hurried somehow in your answer!
Anyway, thank you.

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/4 21:56
That said, anything changes related to your spouse status need to be notify to immigration. Your employment is not related to your spouse status.

Please do re-read it again. It only about notification of changes related to your status.

Did not mention anything how it will effect your status when renew or applying PR.

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/5 08:11
Work and spouse visa are strongly connected with each other.

No, that is not really the case. Work and spouse are only connected in that you have a sufficient and stable source of income to support yourselves. Outside of that you can work pretty much anywhere and do not need to update immigration on any changes as they happen. Changes do come up during renewal or PR application in that they'll reconfirm that you have sufficient and stable income, but other than that there is no reporting.

If I work in different city and live in a different city(with wife/children), this will let the immigration think that the marriage is not serious which can lead to PR application being denied.

No that is not correct. Working and living in different cities is very normal and shouldn't affect immigration issues as long as you reside with your spouse/family.

However, if you live separately from your spouse you will likely be flagged and get extra scrutiny when you go to extend your spouse residency. This is enough of an issue for you to be limited to 1-year extensions and/or sidetrack a PR application.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Permanent Resident basic procedures duration 2016/10/5 08:41
I agree with you. Thank you so much for clarification the matter to me.

reply to this thread