Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/11 21:48
Hi everyone!

I am wondering if I should hire a guide for a day trip to Nara. I will be visiting Tofukuji, Todaiji, Nara Park, Kasuga-taisha shrine and Naramachi district. Do they all have guide booklets and sufficient English information inside the temples and shrines?

Since I will be using JR Pass that day, I will arrive at JR Nara station. Could you please recommend how I should plan the route to cover all those places efficiently (which spots should I go first)? And should I take a bus from the station to the first spot or is it fun to walk everywhere?

Recommendation on good places to have local delicacies will also be much appreciated! :)
by stelle789  

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/12 08:54
English not an issue.

The Nara section within this website has travel options in Nara.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/12 17:14
As you exit Nara Station, you will see an older brick building on your left, it is the 'Tourist Information Building', they have English speaking assistants and also maps and info on all places to visit, they will also arrange a'tour guide' if your require. Nara is one of my favourite towns to visit, please enjoy.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/12 22:01
If you need guided tour, you may refer to the website for Nara Systematized Goodwill Guide club as below:

https://sites.google.com/site/narasggenglish/home/guide-and-interpreter-services

They may arrange free guided trip if you apply it in advance.
by Hirohiroboy rate this post as useful

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/13 01:00
http://nara-guide-club.com/index.html

I had a wonderful guide from the above group. You do have to apply in advance.....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/13 05:47
Thanks everyone for the inputs!

After several considerations I have decided to go by myself. My question now is about the route planning.

I will arrive at JR Nara and wish to visit Todaiji, Nara Park, Kasuga Taisha shrine, Kofukuji, and Naramachi district. Could you please recommend how I should plan the route to cover all those places efficiently (which spots should I go first)?

Also, what bus should I take from JR Nara to the first spot and from the last spot to JR Nara?

by stelle789 rate this post as useful

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/13 09:17
Please read the Nara section of this website. It answers all your questions.

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/13 12:39
This application is available at Todaiji until March 31 next year.
Https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nara-audio-guide/id956381451
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/13 13:03
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/13 17:52
Thank you, haro1210! :)

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/13 20:34
Regarding the bus service from JR Nara station, I recommend to take No.2 bus at No.2 bus stop and get off at No.N-7 bus stop to go to Todaiji Temple first. Then proceed to Kasugataisha Shrine via Nigatsudo Hall. You may take No.97 or No.70 bus at Kasugataisha Honden bus stop and get off at No.N-4 bus stop to go to Kohfukuji Temple. Then you may walk to JR Nara station or take any bus at No.N-4 bus stop to go back to JR Nara station. If you take bus more than three trips, you'd better purchase one day bas pass for 500 yen.

Here's a website for Narakotsu bas route map for your reference:
http://www.narakotsu.co.jp/rosen/free-ticket/pdf/map-naraCity.pdf#sear...'Narakotsu+bus+map'

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/14 18:06
@hirohiroboy: Thank you very much for your kind and helpful explanation :)
May I ask why the first stop should be Todaiji instead of Kasuga Taisha? Is it downhill (so easier) from Todaiji to Kasuga Taisha?

Also, is there a bus from Naramachi to JR Nara station?

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/14 18:44
Naramachi is on the map hiroboy provided. The bus to be used can easily be seen. Yellow line for JR Nara and Naramachi.

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/14 20:34
As you can see the bus route map of the above, No.2 bus runs every ten minutes.
However, No.97 and No.70 Bus Line has only three trips an hour.
That's the reason why I recommend to take No.2 bus to go to Todaiji Temple first.
As for a bus from Naramachi to JR Nara station, you may take No.2 bus at No. N-13 bus stop near Naramachi town.

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/15 05:23
Thank you hirohiroboy and hakata14. Sorry I didn't understand that the loop bus no. 2 stops at every stop. But now it's very clear. Thank you once again for your kind explanation!

Can we use ICOCA on all buses?

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/15 08:09
Yes, you can.
However I recommend to buy one day bus pass for 500 yen if you take bus at least three trips since the fare for one trip is 210 yen each.

by Hirohiroboy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: English information at attractions in Nara 2016/11/15 13:38
Noted! Thank you so much, hirohiroboy!

reply to this thread