Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Salons for black women in Saitama? 2005/3/28 11:24
I will be moving to Kawagoe,Saitama in June, and I want to know if the salons in Saitama will know how to relax my hair or will I have to go to Tokyo and do some searching?Or will I be ok going to any salon? Any hair-care tips from any other black women would be highly appreciated!! I know it will be very hot and humid when I arrive...
by Black Mage  

Salons for black women 2005/4/23 03:54
I am not sure if there are any salons exactly but I can introduce you to other black ladies in the area...
stretchnd@yahoo.com
by T rate this post as useful

Quick & effective solution 2005/4/23 05:12
shave your head.
you will be more exotic.
thus the Japanese will see you as a goddess. but be friendly and smile.
trust me!
by Problemsolver-san rate this post as useful

Next best thing... 2005/7/17 01:33
LOL, PS-san. I'm doing the next best thing, going naturally curly before I go to Japan. Not getting a positive reception from other black people in the States, though. I was anxious about not having salon access in Japan (there are like, 2, in Tokyo's Shibuya area) but I figure most Japanese will see that I'm black anyway, so the afro wouldn't really be too surprising for them. It may be hard but you most likely will have to do your own hair in Japan. Ganbatte!
by GeeTee rate this post as useful

try networking 2005/7/27 01:09
Saitama isn't very far from a military (Air Force) base full of my beautiful sisters. Take a trip to Fussa and hang out for a few minutes. You're sure to meet someone who know where you can get your hair done...
by MJH rate this post as useful

Thanks 2005/8/6 00:08
Thanks for the replies...as you said I am doing it myself and going back to my natural hair texture. I may not look all that stylish but I'm content. Fussa...hmm I will have to look that place up, thanks! Been here 2 months now...japan is definitely different!
by Black Mage rate this post as useful

another question 2005/9/11 14:33
Does anyone know of any salons in the Kansai area?.. specifically Osaka and Kobe
by morenainkobe rate this post as useful

i've decided to cut my hair short too 2006/8/24 12:08
hi there, i'm in canada. going to japan in oct, and i have decided to cut my hair short too for my 1 yr stay in osaka. i thought about having my husband relax my hair and bring over 1 yr worth of relaxer... but alas, i have decied to cut it short. i think i will look like a boy ( my hair is past my shoulders) but it will be much easier to manage in the humid heat.
by jan rate this post as useful

Something I tried 2006/8/24 12:44
I just returned from my three month backpacking trip in Japan. Since my boyfriend and I were being minimalist, I found that putting my hair in a tight bun behind my head or wrapping it in a sari or silk cloth looks very pretty. I recieved many complements from the locals. They thought I looked very exotic And I didn't have to resort to cutting all of my hair off!
by Tiff rate this post as useful

My hair! 2006/8/24 17:58
I 've been here a year now and I wound up doing it myself but all I could ever do w/it is put it in a bun. But recently I stopped being cheap and went to a salon and they actually did a nice job. They wash and blow dry and then if you want they use a straight iron and your hair comes out nice and straight. Though of course, good luck keeping it that way in the humid weather. Though at 3500 yen it's not exactly cheap.
by Original Poster rate this post as useful

Salon in Tokyo 2006/8/24 20:42
Hey Black Mage, I think I`ve talked to you before! I lived in Kawagoe. I live and work in Tokyo now. I`m sorry I`m seeing this so late.

I go to a place called 4/U in Hiroo in Tokyo (maybe 45-60 by train from Kawagoe). I`ve been going there for almost 2 years. The salon specializes in doing foreign hair and there are two women (one Japanese and the other I believe is black/Japanese) that do black hair styles (perms, braids, etc.). I used to get my hair braided, but now I`ve had it twisted. It`s pricey (for twists, deep condition and wash it`s about 10,000 yen), but these use black hair products like Affirm.

There`s also a salon in Roppongi, which is the sister salon to 4/U. Here`s the site:

http://www.room806.com/

I recently started buying the Japanese hip-hop magazines, and they always have ads for hair (over-priced) salons . The models are always Japanese, and I sometimes wonder if the hair stylists can hair black hair is well...
by Banna rate this post as useful

Hair braiding 2006/8/24 22:29
Banna, they are all over priced! Actually someone recently gave me the number to someone who does hair braiding for maybe 6 or 7000 but I have to find it again. How long did your braids last when you were getting them done in Hiroo?Was it also 10,000 yen?
by Black Mage rate this post as useful

Braids 2006/8/25 02:13
I had cornrow extensions and it was about 10,000 yen (including wash, conditioning, and 2.5 packs of hair). With braids, it often depends on the style you want and how much have that`S used. It`s cheaper if you can provide hair (maybe have someone from the states send it to you). I`ve heard that there are people that do hair on the military based (Yokota is about an hour away from Kawagoe I think and Yokosuka is maybe 1.5-2 hours away), but I haven`t been to the bases yet. Maybe you wanna try MySpace! I think there are some folks in Japan that do hair.
by Banna rate this post as useful

Braiding?and african american hair 2007/8/4 02:28
My sister does hair braiding and all services how much does something like that pay in japan any idea? is it in demand?
by Najima rate this post as useful

Some salons and a web site 2008/4/10 18:20
Okay so I am actually in the same problem right now. I am trying to get my hair braided in Japan somewhere in the Saitama greater TOkyo metropolitan area. I found web site that has a lists of shops, however it may be outdated. One shop I called named Mobo does do braids. It costs 50,00 yen though and includes the hair. However I advise looking around. The site http://www.afrosista.com
Try it and if you know of anyone or braid hair yourself let me know cause again I am looking but I think that the price for this shop may be a bit too high. Also for hair you can order if offline at various web sites. some do ship to Japan.
by Neko2607 rate this post as useful

- 2008/4/14 18:02
hey guys i was wondering if any of the salons are able to do a weave? i have the hair im just looking for someone to do it.
by CIWWAF rate this post as useful

Original Poster, where is that salon? 2010/4/12 21:02
Where is that salon where you are getting you hair blown out for under 4sen yen? Do you have a relaxer or curly hair? I have naturally curly hair and I have been looking for a place around Tokyo to get a decent press that will stand up to the humidity in this country!
by slizzliz (guest) rate this post as useful

straightperm? 2010/4/13 00:47
Hey guys i'm white but have uncontrollably curly/frizzy hair I had it relaxed once but it didn't work :( anyway summers in Japan used to be a nightmare :/ but I would really recommend thermal straightening here (straight perm) it;s so awesome and lasts up to 7 months. Pay between 15 and 30man yen though anything cheaper and you'll be getting a bad perm - trust me.
by Laura (guest) rate this post as useful

oops 2010/4/13 00:50
lol that price is a bit much :) I mean pay between 15,000yen and 30,000yen :)
by Laura (guest) rate this post as useful

osaka? 2010/5/18 06:21
I'm not a woman. But I'm planning to stay in Osaka for a year before I go to university. Are there any sisters or know of any in Osaka who can do my cornrows for me? :(
thankss
by mairusu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread