Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

100 volts can be use to 110 volts? 2016/12/21 23:50
I bougth a washing machine from japan which is 100 volts. Can I use it in the philippines using a 220 - 110 volts step down transformer?

Thank you so much.
by Celso servano (guest)  

Re: 100 volts can be use to 110 volts? 2016/12/22 15:46
Check your local supplier regarding that.

You need 100V so find a step-down transformer that converts from 240/220 to 100. I am not sure whether a step-down transformer today can have 240/220V to 110/100V all in one set-up. As far as I know, you will be needing additional voltage converter from 110V to 100V aside from step-down transformer of 220/110V.

Is your Japanese appliance rated at 60 Hz as well? Make sure about that.
by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: 100 volts can be use to 110 volts? 2016/12/22 15:52
I almost forgot. The transformer or voltage converter must have at least 2 or 3 times the power (W/VA) rating of your appliance.

Re: 100 volts can be use to 110 volts? 2016/12/23 04:32
The voltage step down transformer must have enough capacity (wattage rating) to start/run the motor but they are heavy and large.
110V is fine for 100V rated appliances. Those numbers are nominal(not exact) ratings and can vary +/-10% or more sometimes depending on the electric company generators loading or how far from the generators due to power line resistance, time of the day, etc. , i.e. 110V line can be 130V close to an electric power station. Appliances including motors can take these voltage variations.
But more troublesome is the hertz rating of the washing machine.
What region in Japan did you buy it? Or read the Hz rating on the machine.
If it was in Tokyo and north, the hertz is 50 Hz and the western Japan(Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Kyushu, etc.) is 60 Hz. So if 50Hz, the machine will run slower in 60Hz Philippines. Washing cycle may not be a big problem w/ a little slower agitation but the spin cycle may not run at the full speed (~17% slower) and may not dewater as much as it designed for(wetter clothes out of washing machine, taking longer to dry in the sun or in a dryer).
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 100 volts can be use to 110 volts? 2016/12/23 06:38
Just my 5 cents.
Transformers 220 to 100 volt are hard to get by and if you find one it will be expensive.
Although i do not know the tolerances of the line voltage i would go for a regular 220 to 110 Volt transformer. Also because many countries switch to 240 V (see http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plug-voltage-by-country/) i assume it is easy to get a 240 to 110 volt transformer. If you use this transformer on primary 220 V the output or secondary voltage is than actual 101 V so very close to the 100V.
As mentioned you need to check the Wattage of the transformer. Personally i think 1.5 times the listed rating of the washer is sufficient (and cheaper). (Theoretical the same Wattage is OK but you might take into account some switch-in current).
Nowadays i do not think that they make separate washers for east and west Japan so i think the frequency is no problem but you can check this on the plate of the washer.
Personally i do think that the speed of the motor is not depending on the net frequency (50/60Hz). I even think that in modern washers the timers are also not depending on this frequency (they use Xtals).
And lastly because you own already the washer i just would go for it. If it does not work you have to buy anyway a new one in the Philippines.

Succes with it.

B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 100 volts can be use to 110 volts? 2016/12/23 17:11
washing machines are heavy. have you considered the costs of shipping one from japan to the phillipines?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 100 volts can be use to 110 volts? 2016/12/24 00:43
@Hakata14, the OP has way via cargo package I guess.

I agree with posters above, also look for the appliance tolerance say +/- 5% or +/-10%.

reply to this thread