Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/8 22:47
Hi!

I'm planning to move to Japan from Portugal and my husband and I are thinking about going by car, through Russia.

The thing is: can I get in Japan with a Portuguese car? How do I make it legal? What are the costs?

Can anyone help me?

I'd be really thankful.

Thanks in advance!

Ines

P.S: We're thinking of going by car because we have a dog and we really don't want to leave him behind or risk shipping him in the cargo area of an airplane... =(
by Agunesudesi  

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/9 08:49
If we're talking about risk, there is far less in taking your dog on a plane than there is driving across Russia. I suggest doing more research on this. The roads are a nightmare, particularly in rural areas. There is often little support available if you run into trouble with your vehicle, your health, the weather. Any number of problems are possible. And frankly it can be dangerous. It's not a myth: gangs do operate on the highway and they do prey on the vulnerable.

While the chances are you would be fine, this won't be a pleasant road trip. It's 1-2 weeks of gruelling travel. The above should put the "risk" of flying with your dog into some perspective.

You've no doubt noticed that I don't think this is a good idea. Unless you and your partner are the types to really thrive on the thrill of adventure (not the hiking in the woods type of adventure, mind), my advice would be to get a flight and be there in 12 hours or so. This drive makes economy class look like Heaven. I dare say it would be easier on your dog as well.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/9 10:04
Sticking your car in a container and shipping it might be a better idea. Once in Japan it will need to meet compliance (a process that takes a couple of weeks and a few thousand (US) dollars - based on comments one of my friends has made on his Japan built Mazda.) Your car might be more difficult/longer/more expensive and could fail in which case you have disposal fees.

Eventually I'll look at this more carefully as I would like to bring my Toyota back to Tokyo. (It sat in a showroom for five years before being shipped to New Zealand.) But as a Japanese domestic model it should be more simple to have it complianced.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/9 10:35
You also have to figure your insurance premium will be higher than getting a car in Japan simply because you're sitting in the wrong side of the car. You won't be able to pass cars very easily and you run the risk of head-on collisions.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/9 12:14
First, I totally agree with Liz.
Unless your car is a 4x4 there are places it simply won't go - rural roads in Russia are no joke.

Second, I wonder whether you will actually need a car. I have a car (2 actually), but I live in a fairly rural city that was planned around cars. When I lived in Sendai I didn't need nor have a car. It would have sat in a car parking space, rusting while costing me insurance and a shaken every 2 years.

If you're going to be in a big city, then I suggest that you think carefully about whether you will need a car at all.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/9 18:42
sell car, put dog on plane.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/9 19:14
I'm in the process of taking my cat to Japan so I've done a ton of research on the issue. It's not a big problem, they don't have to do quarantine, and many airlines will let you take the dog or cat in the cabin instead of having to put it in the hold. Korean Airlines is one and there are several others too.

Hope this helps.

https://twitter.com/KyushuTraveler
by KyushuWoozy rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/9 19:15
Thank you all so much for your replies! You've been very helpful =)
by Agunesudesi rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/9 19:18
I hope you already solved the visa problem because you cannot just come to Japan like you would to Germany or France...
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/9 19:20
Hi Gaby! Yes, I've read about that and will only go after having a work contract from a company. =)
by Agunesudesi rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/9 19:24
And by the way, just because you travel by car you will not avoid the quarantine. You cannot bring a dog just like that...

http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/index.html
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/10 00:22
Worthless.
Buy new one or Rent in Japan.

Or learn about "AIT/FIA Carnet de Passages en Douane".
They are going to Japan fr Germany via russia by yrself w/onw car.
Their plan is taking around 3 month.
http://p.twpl.jp/show/large/7nJ3M
You can???
https://goo.gl/maps/mE6opnMe8nu
by ASIMO (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/10 05:25
Definately check the health requirements for your dog or he might have to spend weeks at quarantine.
You can't just take your dog with you without the required papers and vaccinations.
by Lisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/10 08:17
You also have to figure your insurance premium will be higher than getting a car in Japan simply because you're sitting in the wrong side of the car. You won't be able to pass cars very easily and you run the risk of head-on collisions.

But, there are a lot of left-hand drive cars on the roads here in Japan already.

On the insurance and related matters, getting insurance without a local diving license is another factor to take into account.

The other point worth noting (above) is why bother with a car? Are you living in the boonies, or a city? I find having a car here a little pointless because of the good transport system (it's too slow to drive), but maybe you like driving. That's why I'm not to bothered about bringing my car to Japan - I wouldn't use it very often.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/10 12:19
Well, I'm a little less pessimistic than ASIMO, but it's not a journey for the faint of heart - that's for sure!

Google maps puts it at 13,600 km

Averaging 80KM/h, and 8 hours driving per day, that comes to 21 days. Of course, that assumes that you only stop for the bare essentials of food and sleep. If the road conditions are worse, or weather deteriorates, you could easily add a week.

Then the fuel cost. I don't know your car's fuel efficiency, but let's say you're getting 12KM/L - over 1000 litres of fuel. At 1 euro per litre, there's 1000 euros straight off.

If you need accommodation, averaging $50 a night, another $1000. Basically, that's the cost of the flights, and you haven't thought about the other incidentals. What if your car breaks down (especially in the middle of no-where)? You'll need to majorly prepare for such a trip.

It's possible, but not even close to easy - and definitely eating up a month of your life.

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/12 08:39
Well I think two people could do better than 8 hours driving a day.

But to the OP - I certainly do understand your qualms about putting a pet on a long-haul flight. Since no one else has seemed to mention it here yet, I would ask you to reconsider whether moving your pet to the other side of the world is really the best thing for them.
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/12 09:44
@Harimogura,

Sure, but if you're going on such a long trip, through so many places, it would be a shame not to stop occasionally and go visit somewhere, don't you think? I would at least go back to see St Basil's Cathedral again, since their trip takes them through Moscow.

Also, if it's winter when they go, 8 hours may be pretty reasonable - would you want to drive on rural Russian roads in winter at night?

Re: Taking my car to Japan 2017/1/12 11:08
Whether you could travel for 8 hours or more is beside the point. A normal street car cannot navigate Kazakhstan, Eastern Russia, Mongolia and Northern China. Be serious...
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread