Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

What should I visit next 2017/1/10 13:30
I've been following this website for a year and a half to plan my trips to japan. I'm a huge Japan fan and one of my goals was to see it all. I started my trips in November 2015 and I spent over 100 days in Japan so far in 5 trips. I would definitely love to visit once more in 2017, but I would like to visit new places.

I've been to:
Cities&Villages: Tokyo, Takasaki, Karuizawa, Nagano, Matsumoto, Kanazawa, Shirakawa-go, Takayama, Hamamatsu, Magome&Tsumago, Kamakura, Atami, Izu-Shimoda, Izu-Kawazu, Kawasaki, Kyoto(+Miyama,Kibune,Kurama,Ohara), Nara, Osaka, Koya-San, Kii-Katsuura, Shingu, Tsu, Kobe, Himeji, Okayama, Fukuyama, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Takamatsu, Ogijima, Matsuyama, Uchiko, Ozu, Kochi, Fukuoka, Karatsu, Nagasaki, Kumamoto, Kagoshima&Sakurajima, Beppu, Aizu-Wakamatsu, Morioka, Hirosaki, Aomori, Hakodate, Sapporo, Otaru, Furano, Biei, Asahikawa, Nikko, Chuzenji.

Onsen places: Kusatsu Onsen, Takaragawa, Okuhida&Shinhotaka, Hakone Gora, Kinosaki Onsen, Unzen Onsen, Kurokawa Onsen, Toyako Onsen, Noboribetsu Onsen.

Can you please recommend me other beautiful locations?
The only places I've been on the seashore of the sea of Japan are Kinosaki Onsen and Kanazawa. Also I only seen a bit of Tohoku. Maybe Yamaguchi, Shimane, Tottori and Fukui? Are they worth it? Is there something special to do there?

I would avoid Kanto, Chubu and Kansai.

Thank you very much
by MirceaM  

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/10 16:18
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/10 16:53
Well, you've racked up a lot of travels so far. What are you interested in? You've used this website so far with success, so why do you feel it's not so useful now?
Also, what season are you thinking of traveling in?

I've noticed you haven't been to Okinawa yet. How about a big change and try it? The Yaeyama Islands are very beautiful. There are dirt cheap airfares on low cost carriers like Jet Star and Peach, and for island hopping there is JAL's Okinawa Island Pass for just 9000 yen per flight.

There are also many good places in the San-in, Hokuriku, Tohoku and Chugoku Regions. Do some research and see if anything appeals to you.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/10 20:37
Wow, it's great. You have surpassed the American ambassador to Japan, Caroline Kennedy!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1TrFEDBYn5IALuVriFFt7mAVIE6k&...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/10 21:05
I would suggest some more Tohoku, for example Sanriku coast and Shirakami Sanchi, or Sendai, Matsushima, Yamadera, Niigata, Sado Island, etc.
by Vienna Logan rate this post as useful

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/10 21:29
Tohoku through to Akita, perhaps?

Matsue?
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/10 22:10

I have found Japan to be very unique, a same place visited at a different season could easily deliver a different impression, hence a very different memory.
Don't be put off revisiting a same place, plan and time well for the very occasion, bon voyage!
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/10 22:30
by NTE (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/11 10:27
Wow, thank you guys so much. I'm thinking around 28 days from mid May to mid June. I know it might be a rainy season, but maybe I can go to the places I can avoid rain?

Okinawa always seemed so far and less Japanese, so I avoided. But now you guy telling me all that, spiked my curiosity.

Yakushima I haven't tried while I was in Kyushu because the farry would have took too much of the day.

I'm more of a Nature + Traditional culture + Onsen + Food guy I think. 80% I traveled by train with JR Pass.

Yes I was thinking more of San-in, Hokuriku and Tohoku. But the information about San-in is quite limited on Japan-Guide, very few attractions are listed in this region. And Hokuriku aside from Fukui and Takaoka there is a poor JR connection to the other (Noto, Sado Island,Kurobe Gorge). Has anyone been here? Is it worth it? Toyama and Niigata seem just regular cities, me and my girlfriend(which whom I'm traveling with), try to avoid big cities if they do not hide some stunning attractions like Kumamoto, Sapporo, Nagano, Nagasaki or Fukuokoa.

So in Hokuriku what would you advise aside from: Noto, Sado Island, Kurobe Gorge, Fukui and Takaoka.
How about San-in? What is something I must not miss here?
In Tohoku:

I've been in Japan twice in November, once in first half of December, once in mid January, once Mid March to early April, and once mid June towards the end of July. So I kinda seen all seasons in Japan. End of March in Kyushu, Mid June in Hokkaido.
I always made a stop in Kyoto, and last time I spend 17 days there. That's why I'd like to visit something new. There is a thrill for discovering new places in Japan, there's something about seeing something for the very first time. I remember seeing Shirakawa-go for the first time in autumn, I was so impressed. Then I went back in January and although it was marvelous, it was not the same. That's why I'm aiming for new destinations.

PS: I also made a map, but I got lazy and did not finish it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qtsGD5wrPinnrtA4OROwQ5T_85Y&usp=shar...

by MirceaM rate this post as useful

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/11 11:24
I live in Hokuriku, here are my opinions on my region:

Kurobe Gorge is spectacular in Autumn but I don't think it would be that special at other times of the year without the autumn colors.

Fukui has a beautiful temple there called Eiheiji. Tojinbo is cool to see cliff faces and the sea, but is also kinda depressing because it's a big suicide point. There's not much to do at Tojinbo except for looking at the cliffs and eating local produce. There's an island that you can walk to from the cliffs which takes about an hour, but the island has NOTHING on it so it's kind of a waste of time. There are also some novelty things to do in Fukui, like the cat temple in called Gotanjoji in Takefu and the dinosaur museum.

Noto has a variety of things to do - there's Wakura Onsen, Notojima Aquarium, the seaside in Suzu. It's good if you like seafood and the atmosphere of the countryside / 'old Japan'. You sort of need a car to get around though.

Have you been to Kaga Onsen in Ishikawa yet? Yamanaka Onsen is a beautiful village in Kaga with great onsens, a river and mini hiking trails. I think you should go there if you haven't already.

Have you done the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route?

Also your list doesn't include Kamikochi in Gifu - if you haven't been there I'd highly recommend it, and you can go to Hirayu Onsen on the way.

Outside of Hokuriku, I definitely recommend Yakushima, not for a day trip but for a few days. You need at least two days to see everything. It's the most beautiful place in Japan in my opinion.
by Jenn Jett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/11 11:37
Thank you very much Jenn, I'll then put Kaga and Noto on my list. And Yakushima too. However we cannot drive in Japan, thanks to not signing the Vienna convention. Is there an alternative to travel around Noto?

I've looked for flights for Okinawa, but if I go there I would like to see Ishigaki and Miyako, and the flights from Tokyo are very expensive. Naha doesn't impress me that much from what I read and the pictures I saw. I heard about some plane passes? Can you tell me of any cheap way I can get either from Naha or Tokyo to Miyakojima?

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/11 13:40

I've looked for flights for Okinawa, but if I go there I would like to see Ishigaki and Miyako, and the flights from Tokyo are very expensive

Peach could be the cheapest, but no flight to Miyako island.

http://www.flypeach.com/pc/en/lm/st/routemap
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/11 13:56
As I wrote previously, there are some very low fares to Okinawa and other islands.
You gave no info on when you'd be traveling to Japan, but for example on Peach you could fly from Tokyo to Okinawa for as low as 5890 yen+tax in March - or maybe even less in February.
http://www.jetstar.com/jp/en/home
http://www.flypeach.com/pc/en
http://www.vanilla-air.com/en/
There are also flights from KIX to Ishigaki. Or for really off the beaten trail, on Vanilla Air there are flights from Tokyo to Amami Oshima.

Another option is ANA's Experience Japan Fare - 10,800 yen per flight.
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/wws_common/promotions/share/experience_j...
There are direct flights from Tokyo or Osaka to Miyakojima.

And again, for island hopping, try JAL's Okinawa Island Pass.
http://www.churashima.net/jta/company/islandpass_en.html
It offers fares that are way cheaper than regular tickets.

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/11 14:05
Since you mentioned you came to Hokkaido in mid-June why dont you visit again during winter. Snow Festival in Sapporo is Feb. I think.
by lou00 rate this post as useful

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/11 16:15
Ken, I'll be probably traveling either mid May to mid June, or June to early July.

The question is if I can use any flight from Tokyo with ANA / JAL to Miyakojima? Sadly ANA promotion ends at the end of March. If I can pay for HND-MMY just 11.000Yen than that is more than awesome!

I would go around Honshu first, then take a plane to Miyako, from there a plane to Naha, and from there I have my flight that will take me home.

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/11 16:28
How about Wakayama and Nachi Falls? Gorgeous scenery and easily accessible by train.

Cheers, Nano
Travel & Food Blogger
Travel With Nano B.
by Travel With Nano B. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/11 16:37
I've been to Nachi when I was in Kii-Katsura and Shingu.
I spent 10 km on Kumano Kodo + I went to all 3 Shrines(Hongu, Nachi and Shingu).

Re: What should I visit next 2017/1/11 18:04
MirceaM,

ANA has had this special fare for several years, it will likely be extended. Keep watching the site. Like many other things, JAL also cloned it in their Japan Explorer Pass.
https://www.world.jal.com/world/en/japan_explorer_pass/ar/

There are also ANA's Visit Japan Fare:
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/wws_common/book-plan/fare/special/visit....
Or JAL's Yokoso fare:
http://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/
or Welcome to Japan Fare:
http://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/japanfare.html
.....and of course the low cost carriers are even cheaper.
Either way, you can fly to Okinawa and other islands for a very low cost.
Bon voyage.

Re: What should I visit next 2017/11/30 20:59
Ever since I posted last time, I visited: Iwakuni, Yamaguchi, Tuswano, Izumo, Matsue, Tottori, Amanohashidate, Ine, Maizuru, Fukui, Noto Peninsula, Takoka, Niigata, Yamagata, Ginzan Onsen, Kakunodate, Akita, Oga Peninsula, Hachinohe, Hiraizumi, Miyakojima, Iriomote, Ishigaki, Taketomi, Naha & Motobu (on Okinawa main island).

I am now doing half of the Shikoku Henro by foot, so I've seen, or will be seeing all there is in Shikoku too.
I'm planing to see after wards: Bitchu-Takahashi, Kurashiki, Iga Ueno, Uji, Koka and Ise.

Now, aside from Yakushima, which is a bit hard to get to, what suggestions do you have?

PS: I just been in Cape Ashizuri in Kochi, and it is a shame that is not well known and listed on this website. It is on pair with Okinawa on how beautiful it is.

Re: What should I visit next 2017/12/1 08:51
Miyazaki
Northern coastline of Chugoku
Toyama region + surrounds
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

reply to this thread