Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse visa work permit 2017/1/26 11:29
Hi,

I have some doubts about the laws of spouse visa and part time work permit.
At the moment the information that you have been able to obtain is:
- Maximum can work 28 hours a week (no more)
- You can raise 1.3 million yen annually without having to file taxes.

But before these restrictions I have some doubts that at the moment nobody, in city hall or immigration has been able to clarify to me. They are:

- If I get more than 1.3 million yen a year, how much do I have to declare? 10% income tax, + 11%?
- Who should pay this extra tax, me or the company?

- within 1.3 million yen a year, we speak in gross, it also includes transportation money and meals? Or is it excluded? I mean, if I earn 950 yen per hour, + 1200 yen per day transport + 1200 per meals. Includes the total in the base salary? or the bas is 950 and is the only thing that count?

For what little I have come to discover, as a student or spouse, so that it really pays off in better salary would be from 1600 yen per hour, even if you have to pay taxes.

Could anyone clarify all these doubts?

Sure there are more people looking for this type of information.

Thank you .
by Cheflo (guest)  

Re: Spouse visa work permit 2017/1/26 13:38
Seems you are confusing "spouse" and "dependent"...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa work permit 2017/1/26 14:22
If you have restrictions on the work hours, then you are talking about dependent status, not spouse (spouse of Jspanese national).

You need to inquire with the tax office, or with your
spouse's employer to find out how their system works (your eligibility as "dependent " in taxation terms, as it also affects your spouse's deductibles for his dependent).
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa work permit 2017/1/26 14:42
To be more correct,

If your on Spouse of Japanese status you can work any types or hour. No restriction.

If you on dependent status, spouse or child of Visa/Status holder you must apply for permission to work part time and only can woru max 28hrs.

As for taxation, the 1.03million limit is for joint spouse taxation. If you earn more than 1.03mil than you have to declare/make separate tax from your spouse, also need to pay pension as s well.
If lower than 1.03mil, then you can join into your spouse(main earner) tax to get more tax incentives.
Also another limit for spouse is 1.3 mil, if you earn more you need to pay your shareof health and pension insurance. Less than that you are exempted.

Taxes rate are review every year but dont differ much. You will receive tax return form, just plug in your income and procede calculation from there. The tax people will provide help during those time. Usually Japan tax return is on MARCH 15

Read this for some info:
About spousal tax deduction
https://goo.gl/HMJGxr

About how to reduce your tax,
https://goo.gl/EG8ipd
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread