Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sold out Sumo in Osaka 2017/2/6 09:37
Hello,
I missed out on tickets to Sumo in Osaka - they are all sold out now (apparently in 2 hours). How does one gain a ticket to the sold out Sumo, what options do I have? will any more tickets be released? thank you!
by Clueless (guest)  

Re: Sold out Sumo in Osaka 2017/2/7 02:51
Same issue here as well!
I was online at that time, you were not able to buy anything. Now it shows sold out...
Surely it can`t be...even for the first days of the tournament when nobody goes?

:)
by andromopa rate this post as useful

Re: Sold out Sumo in Osaka 2017/2/7 13:25
Hi Andromopa. I agree! something strange is going on here. Were you online at 10am Sunday when the tickets were released and you were unable to buy any? I went online yesterday and everything was sold out, which is strange as it usually takes a month to sell out. Have you found out what is going on?
by Cluelesss rate this post as useful

Re: Sold out Sumo in Osaka 2017/2/7 16:38
don`t get it at all.
yeah, I`ve been there on Sunday morning...noon and late night!

It`s strange because for the Tokyo January tournament, there were tickets available even with several days before.
Think it was to do with the importance of the event + being March, when it`s quite busy in Japan.

Done a bit of research, ended up on one of the touts websites, https://buysumotickets.com/, and even they have displayed this:
For the March tournament in Osaka, all tickets are sold-out. If you contact us, we will put you on our waiting list and contact you if we can get more tickets. We have very long waiting lists for the 25th-26th. Please do not send us any requests for March 25th and 26th.

Seems that it`s a very popular tournament....maybe we have our chances when we`re there from a 7eleven or a shop like that.

Re: Sold out Sumo in Osaka 2017/2/7 21:24
what`s even more strange is this Twitter post
https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/828787634507952128

from 10 hours ago
When I go to the japanese version, I still see X everywhere....wtf

Re: Sold out Sumo in Osaka 2017/2/7 21:25
"Even if it is a sign of the current state × (sold out), the tickets etc. that were not paid within the reservation validity period
It may be resold. Please note."

Re: Sold out Sumo in Osaka 2017/2/7 21:58
Sumo is having a boom & this will be the first basho with a Japanese Yokozuna for 19 years so the tickets did sell out in under two hours. There will be some tickets available on the day from the box office. I have copied this from the official website.

Arena-style general admission seats are sold at the Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium Ticket Box from 7:45am, only on the day of the match.

*We have a limit for the ticket. Please buy the ticket before reaching the limit.

*The price of the Ticket for Adult is 2,100yen. The price of the Ticket for Children(age 4 to 15)is 200yen.

by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Sold out Sumo in Osaka 2017/2/7 23:44

Re: Sold out Sumo in Osaka 2017/2/19 12:31
If you cannot but a ticket, remember that the whole tournament is televised 'live' each day on NHK from approx. 3.15pm till finish at 6.00pm!...not as exciting as being there, but you see 'perfectly' every bout and can sit comfortable in your hotel chair!...not crossed legged for three hours.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Sold out Sumo in Osaka 2017/2/19 18:27
All but the lowest level seats at the sumo are "stadium seats" so no need to be cross legged. The upper seats at the Kokugikan are very comfortable but the ones in Osaka are more functional :) BTW if you do watch the NHK coverage at your hotel then remember you can access the English commentary via the language button on the remote.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Sold out Sumo in Osaka 2017/3/2 04:32
Has anyone heard of scalping on the day you want to go?
by Roberto (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread