Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best Strategy for Moving to Japan? 2017/2/15 15:16
After graduating from high school in two years, should I go to a university here in the States, dual-major in English and linguistics (or whatever will help me the most), and then move to Japan after earning my masters here in the States? Or should I just move to Japan after graduating high school? Is there a better method I am not thinking of?

Or should I just stay in America? I think I would be much more happier in Japan than I am now.
by Ray (guest)  

Re: Best Strategy for Moving to Japan? 2017/2/15 18:58
It's cetainly not "I'll do whatever as long as I can move to Japan."
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Best Strategy for Moving to Japan? 2017/2/15 19:50
Sounds more like you're running away from your problems. That almost never works - they always tend to find a way to catch up.

The more qualifications you have, the better chances you have to build a life wherever you end up. You're unlikely to develop much linguistic proficiency outside the country, and English teaching isn't something which most people would choose to make a career out of. If you can get your language levels up, while majoring in something with a little more business relevance, then it's likely you could get some other job.

Either way, getting started learning Japanese wouldn't be a bad idea.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Best Strategy for Moving to Japan? 2017/2/15 20:55
Ray, when was the last time you went to Japan?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Best Strategy for Moving to Japan? 2017/2/16 07:15
The best way to come to Japan and get a good job would be to major in computer science/programming, get up to at least JLPT 2kyu, then find an IT job. In most cases you won't be able to get a visa without a degree, so coming after high school won't help.

That would probably set you up for a good job regardless of whether you actually still want to live in Japan 6 years from now. The JET program is also a fantastic way to try working in Japan and they accept applicants with all degrees. Only do English/Linguistics if that's what you want to do anyway- most entry level English teaching jobs don't care what your major was if you are a native speaker.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best Strategy for Moving to Japan? 2017/2/16 08:10
I think I would be much more happier in Japan than I am now

Why?

Japan has problems just like everywhere else (and there are other issues for you as a foreigner.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread