Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling with 6 month old child 2017/3/12 18:44
Hi,

Me and my husband are traveling to Japan with our 6 month old baby in April.

I have few question regarding traveling with a small child.
This will be his first overseas trip. We will be flying to Tokyo from Australia. Our flight will be 9 h and we will be arriving to Narita at 7pm local time.

We will be staying in Tokyo 3 nights and 2 days. Our plan is to take a bullet train to Osaka where we will be staying at my husbands family for rest of the trip.

1. What will be the best and fastest option to get to our hotel (Hilton, Shinjuku) from Narita airport. Would limousine buss be okay because we will have at least 2 large luggages and a pram so we don't at least need to carry them around. We obviously like to get to the hotel as soon as possible.

2. Is there a luggage service we could use to send our luggage directly from the hotel to my husbands parents home (in Hyogo). On the way back we need to send our luggage from Hyogo to Narita airport as well.

3. Booking bullet train. We will need to bring our pram so what seat would be recommended to book and is there any storage space we can use to storage the pram?

4.Going trough immigration. Please don't get me wrong when I ask this question or think I am expecting some kind of special treatment. But my husband holds a Japanese passport and my son holds Australian passport (he is registered in Japan) but we haven't applied Japanese passport for him yet and I am holding European passport. From my experience, every time I travel to Japan I need to wait ages to go trough immigration while my husband can go trough it much quicker, I'm okay with this but can we request to pass the line because of the baby? Or at least ask them to let my husband and son go trough passport control together?

I don't think my son will have patient to wait so long in line while I carry him after long trip. I just don't want people around me feel uncomfortable when he cries because he is pretty sensitive kid.

Plus I would appreciate any tips traveling with small children in Japan in general:)

Thank you all in advance.
by TravelBug (guest)  

Re: Traveling with 6 month old child 2017/3/13 12:56
1) There is quite likely a limousine bus that goes direct to your hotel. Check the access instructions on the hotel website, or contact the hotel. Riding the Narita Express to Shinjuku station is an option too, but that's a massive station and I wouldn't recommend going that route.

2) Yes. Kuroneko Yamato Takyuubin (aka black cat) is the most popular service.

3) You want the very back seats in the train car, as they have some space behind the seats that can be used for storage.

4) You can't pass the line, but I think your whole family can go through with your husband (not sure what the official rule is, but pretty sure we did this when I was a kid.) At the very least your son can (imagine you weren't there - it's not like they're going to make the baby go through a separate line by himself.)
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 6 month old child 2017/3/13 13:02
TravelBug,
Firstly, make sure you take everything your child will need for a 9 hour flight with you in your carryon luggage. Airlines allow a baby bag as well as a small trolley-on. This must include your formula, if you are bottle feeding, and the bottle plus cans of baby food, a pacifier ( if you use one) a baby rug and as many diapers you think you will need. Don't expect the airline to provide. They often have emergency needs for babies, but they are not obligated to . The flight attendants will help you by heating milk or food. and providing the water needed. As well when you book, you have to make sure you request a bassinet . i.e. a front row, so you can put your baby down for its nap. Don't leave this too late as there are only a couple of these rows at the front of each cabin or division of cabin.

Regards Limousine Bus to hotel. It is probably the easiest to get the bus from Airport to the hotel door, as you won't need to load on or off the bus, as the driver does it, but it is not the quickest way, because the bus can get caught up in traffic. A quicker route is to use the Narita Express, and go to Shinjuku Station, then transfer to a taxi to the Hilton Hotel. To do this efficiently with luggage, would be to have your baby in stroller, and your husband can manage two suitcases on wheels preferably to the station downstairs. Use the lift, it is so much easier. Have you considered a baby front pack? Either you or your husband could put this on, and it frees up your hands. It would be worth purchasing one if you haven't got one as it would be worth its weight in gold while you are in Japan, getting on and off trains etc. Is your stroller a large Western style one or a smaller Japanese styled one? The smaller one is so much easier to move around stations, and narrow streets, and shops, as well they fold up easily and can be transported onto trains, and baby goes into the front pack. There are a lot of stations with lifts now, which is a vast improvement on the past!!

Takkyubin, Yamoto, ABC will take your luggage from the hotel to your husbands parents home. As soon as you check in the hotel, ask at the front desk, and they will tell you when to drop your luggage down so it can be transported to Hyogo. It will probably be overnight. Its an extremely efficient service. Same applies in reverse. Contact the company, and they will arrange to pick it up at your in-laws home and take it to Narita Airport. Know what terminal your airline flies from, and allow a couple of days.

Re storage on Shinkansen: Pram can be stored at end of carriage behind seating. As the train gets near your station your husband can move to the back and pick it up. You leave with your baby. Not hard at all.

Re Immigration; I have found that Japanese Immigration and Customs to be very considerate of families with babies. They usually have a special counter so the kids don't have to queue long. There is usually always a helpful person as you approach the counters. Can your husband go with you and baby to the family counter, and not break off and go to the Japanese counters? Ask this attendant if that is possible. If your baby is screaming don't get too upset, we've all been through it, and I'm sure the attendant will come to your rescue.

Lastly, if you have a reasonable sized stroller, you can ask the airline to allow you to take it through to the departure gate (the check-in clerk will provide a label) and the gate staff will load it in the hold, and when you arrive at Narita, it will be unloaded and waiting for you so you can transfer baby into it. Makes it so much easier. (Just like they do with wheelchairs). Sometimes they have it right by the exit door of the plane, other times it is near where you pick up luggage. Check with the Senior Flight Attendant just before landing.

I wish you well, it is very manageable.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 6 month old child 2017/3/13 13:47
Do yourself a favour. Do not bring a pram. Use a chest baby carrier. Prams are near useless in Japan.

Since you are arriving after seven, but more realisticly 8pm once through immigration etc. (Not getting a flight from Goldy or Cairns are you?) The N'EX tends to become infrequent from then onwards. Below link has details of Terminal 2 to Shinjuku. You husband being Japanese should have nil issue navigating it.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=NARITA%20AIRPOR...
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 6 month old child 2017/3/13 21:25
@gfoulk Thank you for your reply!

@LoveJapan Thank you for your reply . I was thinking of asking for bassinet but it would mean I won't be able to sit next to my husband which is important for me. Because our flight is at 10am I was thinking to carry my son, we are traveling in Business Class so the seat will be much larger and easier for me to carry him, especially because he will only take short naps during morning and afternoon.
He is also quite tall for his age and I am worried he is not able to fit in the bassinet. I hope i won't regret my decision:)

We are brining baby front back with us. Not sure how he likes it as we haven't used it before but we are considering buying a small pram or stroller on our arrival or from Australia and leave our wester style pram at home (Thanks btw for the tip!!) In that case would it be better if we take Narita express train and just carry two large luggages with us?? We don't mind take a taxi from the Shinjuku station because its not that far away from the hotel.

Do we have to book the train before arrival or just buy ticket from the machine? Is there storage area on the train for big luggages?

@hakata Thank you for your reply as well.cWe are probably going to buy a small stroller, I want my son to be able to sleep while we are out:) We are flying directly from Brisbane. Thank you for the link!! Are we able to book tickets from Australia or we should just do it once we arrive?

by TravelBug (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 6 month old child 2017/3/14 05:19
I would trial your front back for a while. If you bub can sleep in it. I know my bub could. Then you wont need a pram for sleep.

One example of prams being a pain is temples. Then have steps and pathways that are deep stones/gravel.

You can wait for the N'EX if you like. But I remember it being infrequent services later in the night. I got to Shinjuku about 11pm. Where I could have been 1.0-1.5 hours earlier taking the rapids and transferring. You can use hyperdia to check and unclick the private railway box.

Re: Traveling with 6 month old child 2017/3/14 05:28
@TravelBug,
Are you flying with Jetstar or Qantas?

Qantas goes to terminal 2 at Narita, whereas Jetstar International is usually at terminal 3

Access to the N'EX from Terminal 2 is straightforward. You arrive on 1F and there is an escalator, down the central area to B1F, where there is a JR ticket office. All seats are booked seats. The railway line is down one more floor. The N'EX is made to take large luggage, with good storage areas at the front and back of each carriage.

Jetstar on terminal 3. Terminal 3 is a satellite wing on the terminal 2 building,. As there is no rail station there you will need to move to terminal 2 which takes about 15 mins on foot or 5 mins on inter terminal bus. Use a luggage trolley if you need to bring baby bags and other necessities with you. Use the lifts if you are moving around with suitcases. Get your husband to take them and you take baby and his needs.

Just a thought, if you don't need your two large suitcases or even one, maybe you could consider packing one with what you'll need in Tokyo, and the other with what need with your in- laws and send it directly to Hyogo from Narita, or even send it through to the Hilton Hotel. It will arrive the next day.

by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling with 6 month old child 2017/3/14 07:12
It wont be Jetstar if direct flight from Brisbane. It will be Qantas.

I forgot to answer you purchasing train ticket question. Yes just buy the tickets when you arrive.

reply to this thread