Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living with boyfriend (company housing) 2017/3/15 19:45
Hi,
I have a small problem and I couldn't find an answer, so I hope someone could answer my question. I am moving to Tokyo soon and for the first 2 months company provides me an apartment. During these 2 months I would like to live with my boyfriend, who is moving to Tokyo with me. I am not sure about the customs in Japan, but could you tell me if I may ask my employer for permission? I am asking because I don't want to offend them. And is it a common thing to do?

Thanks for help!
Anne
by anne.sz (guest)  

Re: Living with boyfriend (company housing) 2017/3/15 21:24
You can certainly ask whether it is possible for two people to live in the company-provided apartment if that information has not yet been provided; why not?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Living with boyfriend (company housing) 2017/3/15 21:55
You must tell the landlord the exact number of people living in the household. In your case, you need to tell your employer who is providing the place to live. The capacity of some tiny places is only for 1 person, so you need to make sure you have a place for two so that you and your boss won't be breaking any Fire Defense Laws or whatever.

If you are worried about offending your boss, why not say that he's your "roommate" or "partner" depending on your relationship with him.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Living with boyfriend (company housing) 2017/3/15 22:30
Usually apartment landlords require that the tenants register the name(s) of occupant(s), or at least the number of occupants, and as some places are single occupancy only, it would be better to find out (and in advance) if it is OK for two people live.

If it is something like a company dormitory, you might have a colleague of yours living next to you, and they might find out that way...

I would actually not mention any "partner" thing - that might raise the question hey you didn't tell me about any special housing needs for partner/spouse during the hiring process - I would ask (if you don't know yet) what kind of housing it is, and if it is OK your friend stays over once in a while.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living with boyfriend (company housing) 2017/3/15 23:23
You have to let your company know as others mentioned. If found accidentally before you tell them you will be in troubles.

And you should be ready to get bad reputation.
In Japan living with your "partner" without official partnership, marriage, is seen as something sexually loose or disordering.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living with boyfriend (company housing) 2017/3/16 03:42
The company are only providing the accommodation for 2 months, then you will have to find your own, or is it just a temporary job? I don't see a problem with mentioning it to them, and you will get clarification. Once you find your own accommodation you approach as a couple. What I think could be a bigger problem is your boyfiend's visa. Married couples get a spouse visa for their partner, but I don't think this applies to non-married couples. I recall some friends of mine an Australian couple who had been in a common law marriage in Australia for 12 years, when they moved to Japan , the " wife" could only get a tourist visa, so they decided to get married and that sorted that out. She then changed to spouse visa. Another couple , she got tourist visa's for a while , but eventually were declined. This was a few years ago, maybe the rules have changed.

by Love Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living with boyfriend (company housing) 2017/3/16 11:06
if he going to stay with you for long is better to find your own house because if anything happen during this period . you will lose your job.
if you want freedom .. get your own house.
by chike20 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living with boyfriend (company housing) 2017/3/16 16:19
In Japan living with your "partner" without official partnership, marriage, is seen as something sexually loose or disordering.

Well, I thought it would be best to explain that he is your "partner" rather than a random "boyfriend", in order to avoid the impression that you're sexually loose or disordering, because people in Japan now are quite aware that "jijitsukon" (not being lawfully married but practically so) is "official partnership".

But I think the guest who posted dated 2017/3/15 22:30, right after my post, says it best. You should approach them by asking what kind of a place it is and then asking if it is possible to have another person live there, rather than to suggest that you've already made up your mind. Come to think of it, if your company is also paying for utilities, two residents can be way costly than one, plus there are a lot of apartments that are limited to female residents only.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Living with boyfriend (company housing) 2017/3/16 18:13
"explain that he is your "partner" rather than a random "boyfriend"."
well, the legally approved explanation is so called "marriage".
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living with boyfriend (company housing) 2017/3/19 21:05
I would just ask and explain the situation.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread