Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Apartment rental and AirBnb 2017/3/22 18:03
Hi,

I live and work in Japan and I'm moving from my sharehouse to my first apartment.
Am I allowed to post my apartment on AirBnb for around one weekend per month ? Do I need to tell the owner ? The agency ? What am I risking if I don't tell before (I'm almost sure they will deny if I ask) and they find it out (via AirBnb site for example).
Sub rental would help me enjoy nice weekends in Japan with my girlfriend once in a while so I would really like to do it.
Also, do you know another platform than AirBnb for that ? I thought about craigslist but there is no guarantee with that...

Thank you !
by MRG (guest)  

Re: Apartment rental and AirBnb 2017/3/23 10:17
Usually rent agreements have a clause prohibiting subletting.
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Apartment rental and AirBnb 2017/3/23 13:48
Does your visa permit you to engage such business?
(if not, you may be ...)

Does apartmet owner/landlord agree sub-rent in the rent contact?
(generally prohibited.)

Do you understand related low such as Ryokangyo-ho?
(remember, illegal business will result ...)

Do you know 'Jigyo-todoke'?
(If not, forget about business.)
by .......... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Apartment rental and AirBnb 2017/3/23 14:21
1. This depends on your rental contract with the property owner. Most of them do not allow subletting.
2. If you are in a very small group that allows subletting than you would have to inform the property owner or the property agent (agency).
3. It depends what the rental contract states, most contract say they may terminate your contract for such violation. They would have to give you notice.

Another option I would suggest looking into is Couch Surfing, it's more informal and is a little more defensible as a "guest" relationship and not a sublet.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: Apartment rental and AirBnb 2017/3/24 00:36
Excuse me, I am not aswering your question but I would like to advice you please.
You must know that what you need to regard at first is visa.
Rent rule is matter, indeed, but it is after what you comfirmed your visa.
Visa, that permits you to make money with AirBnb is limitted, I don't think you have such visa as long as I read your question.
by 入管関係者 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Apartment rental and AirBnb 2017/3/24 15:40
OP here

Thank you for your replies. I have a 5-years working visa, but making money with AirBnb may not be allowed indeed.
I don't want to risk contract termination with the agency.
Regarding Couchsurfing: I am planning to do it anyway, for helping travellers, but this is very different from subletting, no money involved at all: doesn't help me take my gf to places ;).
Last option is craiglist, very informal and my agency will not know. If it occurs once a month, I think I can do that. Whats more there is no proof of any financial transaction. Has anyone tried something like that ?

Thank you again
by MRG (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Apartment rental and AirBnb 2017/3/24 19:29
You can put in your Couch Surfing profile that you are charging a fee.
You can use Craig's List but understand lots of people use Craig's list and your agency or property owner might see.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: Apartment rental and AirBnb 2017/3/25 08:47
You still sounds that you would do sub rent to supply your income, I warn you that " I have a 5-years working visa" does NOT mean that you can do airbnb/couchsurfin/whatever, if it was not Business Manager visa and as long as you make money.
Don't let Japanese here print screen this page and report to immigraiton :-)
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Apartment rental and AirBnb 2017/3/25 09:52
immigration is not a major issue.
what the OP wants to do is また貸し. It has made so many troubles historically.
therefore, house owners never permit また貸し.
it is a common sense.
if revealed, the OP will be forced to get out the apartment.
in a worst case, the OP might lose the job, because companies don't want to hire childish trouble makers.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Apartment rental and AirBnb 2017/3/25 10:07
OP here

Thanks for warning. I won't do. Risks outweigh the gains. That's what I wanted to know

Regards
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread