Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/3/24 18:35
My Japanese company has the office in my country. And I have worked here for 4 years. But I will stop working for this office for around 6 months, then I come back. At that time is it possible for me to apply for COE to transfer to the main office in Japan? Since my working time is not consistent.

I heard they just require the applied person to have at least year working in the home country office, but not saying about its consistency.

Thanks.
by taimer  

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/3/25 14:56
Yes, the status you are describing is a Intra-company transferee.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/3/25 17:19
Are you quitting the company for six months, or are you going to stay on their payroll but get a leave for a while? If you are staying on their payroll, that would be no problem at all, and even if not, since you've been working there for 4 years, I think that sounds quite possible to apply for the intra-company transferee status. You will find out as soon as the company on your behalf makes the application for the visa/coe.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/3/26 00:18
Hi AK and PsyGuy.
Thanks for your useful input.
I will quit the job, means not payroll from them. Actually, my current company is a joint company between Japan and another country. But in the very near future, they will seperate into 2 different companies in my home country. The Japanese home company quite likes me. They are willing to offer me a chance to work for the main office in Japan for a while (like training as well as working) before I come back to work for their branch in my home country. Could be like 6 months later I will join the Japanese branch.
In that case, it is still possible?
by taimer rate this post as useful

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/3/26 07:47
Sounds like a simple application for a work visa for the Japan company (based on the description).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/3/26 10:15
I don't understand the points.
from the standing point of the main office in Japan,
intra-company transfer and ordinary working visa application will be almost same.
intra-company transfer is useful, if the applicant want to keep the career in the original company. but, he/she can't change the company, I believe.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/3/26 10:17
I agree with JspanCustomTours; in that case it will be the company in Japan hiring you, so a work visa based off of that is what you should be getting.

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/3/26 12:57
Usually work visa (the type depends on the nature of the job) is when you get hired by a Japanese entity located in Japan, and intra-company transferee is when (for example) you are working in the American office of an American company, which has a branch office in Japan, and the company wants to send you to its branch office in Japan.

So from what I read, a Japanese company located in Japan is interested in hiring OP (though they came to know each other through its branch in his/her country), it will be a work visa.

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/3/27 00:57
Hi all and AK,
Oh really? I just thought in the opposite way... In my case, i need to apply for working visa for the main office in Japan, right? If so I think it will be not be the big problem since I have worked for its branch in my home country for 4 years (more than 3 years as the minimum criteria) with the same job description.
P/S: I don't have the university degree.
Btw thanks to your inputs.

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/3/27 01:29
Why not discuss this with the copany? For that matter, why are they leaving you to figure this out on your own? They should be taking care of this.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/3/27 02:57
I agree with Firas - this is the company's job to work out.

Intra-company transfer would likely require continuous employment within a company. Since you'll have a 6 month break (not working for that company), it probably wouldn't be applicable to you. So, it would probably need to be a working visa directly from the Japanese company, since I assume they'll be paying your wages (rather than the branch company in your home country).

The lack of a degree will harm you. It won't be easy, but it's up to your employer's HR dept to figure a way to make it work.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/3/27 22:05
They should apply for the transferee visa before the company splits, as the lack of degree will increase the complexity of a work visa.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/4/4 01:10
Hi AK,
To follow up with this matter. I recalled your reply as before:

"Usually work visa (the type depends on the nature of the job) is when you get hired by a Japanese entity located in Japan, and intra-company transferee is when (for example) you are working in the American office of an American company, which has a branch office in Japan, and the company wants to send you to its branch office in Japan. "

But I just searched out this informaton:
*Intra-company Transferee : Expats of foreign companies or the subsidiary companies of Japanese firms located overseas. Must have worked more than one year in the said office in overseas"

It means that in my case, My home office is in Japan and its branch is in my home country where I'm working now. So I still can be applied as Intra-company transferee, right? Not belong to ordinary working visa?

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/4/4 09:37
taimer,

OK, if you go by that information, you might be eligible for the intra-company transferee status. What I mentioned earlier was based on what I knew (from my experience with people around me.)

But in any case, you need to get the company to figure out what type to apply for.

Re: COE for transfer to oversea office 2017/4/4 09:46
Yes sure, thanks for your support btw AK :)

reply to this thread