Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What are our options of moving to Japan? 2017/5/1 18:01
Me and my boyfriend visited Japan recently and fell in love... We would like to move there in the near future, I'm thinking in about two years or so. The situation: I have a bachelors degree in law and my boyfriend has one in computer science. I finished school a couple of months ago only to get a degree but I don't want to practice law, it's just not for me... My passion is dance (pole dance in particular) and I have been teaching it for 2 years now and I'm also opening my own pole dance studio in september. We are both turning 26 this year and my boyfriend has about 4 years experience working in IT, he's a programmer. I am learning japanese and aiming to be fluent by the time we'll make the move (well, at least I hope we'll make the move:). I'm fairly sure my boyfriend won't do the same because he simply doesn't have the time for it. So, what are my options exactly? I know there's a special skilled labour visa for sport instructors, but as far as I gathered it's almost impossible to get it so I already dismissed it. Next option would be student visa, but it's far too expensive... Maybe I could teach english but I'm not native so chances are slim again. So, is that it for me? :D I guess another option would be to marry my boyfriend if he gets a job there and I would get a dependant visa. But I read somewhere that I have to prove the fact that I am financially dependant on him to be able to get it, is that true and if it is, what does that mean exactly?
by sabla  

Re: What are our options of moving to Japan? 2017/5/1 18:51
But I read somewhere that I have to prove the fact that I am financially dependant on him to be able to get it, is that true and if it is, what does that mean exactly?

It means that his income must be sufficient to support both of you, since in principle "Dependent" status does not allow you to work. (You can apply for a "work permit" after you arrive in Japan but that's another story.)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: What are our options of moving to Japan? 2017/5/1 19:20
Thanks! At least I would be able to work part time. And also, I forgot to mention, we are not from one of those countries that offer working holiday visa so that's also out of the question. We probably don't intend to stay there forever, but for a couple of years definitely.
by sabla rate this post as useful

Re: What are our options of moving to Japan? 2017/5/1 20:39
Easier if you're married. IT is in quite big demand - even if he doesn't speak Japanese. If you're in country, with a status which allows work, you could probably pick up language teaching. In the absence of a working holiday type scheme, working visa would seem your only way.

The sports type visas are often for professional sports people. Think baseball players, coaches and the like.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: What are our options of moving to Japan? 2017/5/1 22:13
Thank you. So theoretically, if I stayed in Japan on dependant visa I would be able to change it to working visa if I got offered a full time job in language teaching (because that seems like the only possible career path in Japan for me). But if not, I could work anywhere as long as they are willing to hire me, but that only includes part time jobs.

Re: What are our options of moving to Japan? 2017/5/1 22:35
So theoretically, if I stayed in Japan on dependant visa I would be able to change it to working visa if I got offered a full time job in language teaching

... and you satisfy the degree/experience requirements.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: What are our options of moving to Japan? 2017/5/2 00:43
by Laura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What are our options of moving to Japan? 2017/5/2 01:46
Thanks everyone, you helped a lot.

reply to this thread