Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Looking for Books in Japanese 2017/6/16 09:33
Hi there,

Japanese is my second language and I've been living in Japan for almost 8 years now. My kanji reading is colloquial at best. I'm able to read advertisements and menus relatively easily. I can read maybe 80% of the subtitles for variety TV. When it comes to magazines and newspapers, I'm a bit overwhelmed. There are still some 熟語 and 専門的な kanji/words I have yet to comprehend. Hopefully that gives you an idea of my reading level.

With that, I am interested in expanding my abilities. I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a novel/manga to casually expand my comprehension and vocabulary? Maybe best aimed at 6th graders?? Not sure exactly if I fit in a particular elementary grade level...

Thank you for your help.
by Reader (guest)  

Re: Looking for Books in Japanese 2017/6/17 05:00
Hi, I'm Japanese
I like to read Japanese ancient texts. Of course also manga too.
What kind of field do you like manga and novels?
by Haru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for Books in Japanese 2017/6/18 00:36
Thanks for replying.

英語で読んだら、普段に小説だけ読みたいんです。あまりマンガを読みませんけど、日本語で読書練習したいから、マンガも読んでみたいと思います。もちろん日本語の小説も読んでみたいと思います。

好きなジャンルはドラマ(恋愛以外)、コメディ、とミストリーです。

でも、レベルが低いので、簡単なおすすめがあれば嬉しいです。

ありがとうございます!(^ω^)
by Reader (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for Books in Japanese 2017/6/18 12:36
There are libraries all over Japan. Libraries have books in them.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for Books in Japanese 2017/6/19 17:51
My recommendation is the novels by Tsutsui Yasutaka

Each story is rather short, unexpected, sometimes comical, but can't stop reading.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ime_i_3_3?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB...

by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for Books in Japanese 2017/6/25 01:05
Biwakoman, thank you for your recommendation. :-)
I'll check it out.

I'm not so knowledgeable on what's popular for reading in Japanese, so any other good recommendations would be appreciated!
by Reader (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for Books in Japanese 2017/6/25 04:21
How about Doraemon mangas?
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Looking for Books in Japanese 2017/6/25 08:20
There is a text book store used in Japanese primary schools, Junior secondary schools(Chu-gakkou), and High Schools.
Those books are well designed for each standards used for Japanese pupils/students.
I would recommend you to use Japanese text books rather than using manga.
But, Japanese text books for primary and Junior secondary schools are not public sale, this is because of compulsory education system, but, as far as I know, "Dai-ichi Kyoka-sho"(第一教科書) in Shinjuku Tokyo sales them.
I think for your situation, you can possibly read Chu-gakkou 2,3 nen-sei(中学校2・3年生) textbooks for Japanese(国語) and Koukou 1 nen-sei(高校1年生) Japanese text book. They are about 800 Yen each, 2,400 Yen for three levels will help you language improvement.

If you have a chance to visit Shinjuku, visit 第一教科書
1-22-20 Hyakunin-cho Shinjuku Tokyo
TEL:03-3363-2764
http://www.daiichikyokasho.co.jp/company/index.html
9:00 - 18:00(Mon-Fri), 9:00-17:00(Sat except Public holidays and August), Sun and Public holiday closed.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread