Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it nice living in Shirokane Takanawa? 2017/6/18 03:28
So more research led to stumbling apon this nostalgic place. I am considering starting my life in Japan there but I am still not sure with all the questions I had

1) is it expensive?
2) are the people nice?

I have more questions of course but these are the most important
by Raeh alien (guest)  

Re: Is it nice living in Shirokane Takanawa? 2017/6/18 10:10
1) Yes, this is in one of the most expensive areas of Tokyo. The average for a studio apartment is 109,600 yen, and for a 1DK (similar to a western 1 bedroom) it's 147,000 yen. I live near a station called Nakano which is just as if not more convenient to most places, train-wise, and the averages are 71,800 and 98,000 respectively. For even more comparison, in a cheap neighborhood like Nogata places the same size are about half of what they are in Shirokane Takanawa.
Shirokane Takanawa would also have fewer and more expensive stores and supermarkets compared to somewhere a little further out since it's not very residential.

2) The people around there will be Tokyo business people, so likely very busy and hurried. I'm sure they're nice, but it's not a relaxing, hang-out kind of neighborhood.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it nice living in Shirokane Takanawa? 2017/6/18 12:30
One would assume it is costly living there since it is right in the middle of Tokyo.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it nice living in Shirokane Takanawa? 2017/6/18 12:57
1) Yes, it is very expensive. I don't know why you call it "nostalgic"?
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it nice living in Shirokane Takanawa? 2017/7/4 05:59
Hi,
Used to live there about 10 years ago and as I'm going back to Japan this summer, I'm actually thinking to live there again as the Mita line is convenient to go to work and direct to the French school where my daughter will go.
I liked the location and it's very quiet as soon as you're more than 3 minutes from the station. There are a lot of great restaurants, enough places to shop anything. There are foreigners (westerners due to prices in the area) but not as many as in neighboring districts of Hiroo and Ebisu. I used to pay JPY 200,000 for a good-enough 1LDK (1 bedroom / 1 living-dining) in an old condo and prices have probably not changed much. Japanese people think of it as a posh place due to the presence of Platina dori. They call the people living there the Shiroganese (with an Italian accent !). I never understood why as it's nearly not as chic/expensive as Hiroo, Azabu Juban, Moto Azabu, Ebisu, Roppongi Hills etc....
Hope that helps !
by Alex1234567 rate this post as useful

Re: Is it nice living in Shirokane Takanawa? 2017/7/4 06:11
And...
I get the point on the nostalgic feeling. Because there are some old houses, an old shotengai, etc... But I'm not sure this should be a reason to move there !
by Alex1234567 rate this post as useful

Re: Is it nice living in Shirokane Takanawa? 2017/7/4 08:09
Prices have changed a lot in the couple of years, electricity, gas, tax, transport, food, the yen which is weak, housing prices etc.

I have my own land which I bought 15 years ago. The price went up double from what I paid, Which is good.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Is it nice living in Shirokane Takanawa? 2017/7/4 22:45
Not many people seem to know that Shirokane-Takanawa actually has a "shitamachi" (old town) aspect. I believe ex-Johnny's TV host Yakkun grew up there.
https://www.shirokane-shotengai.jp/

It's one of the best residential areas one can live in, in terms of luxurious condos with great security, so even though residents may be busy while working, that doesn't mean they're busy after work. People in Tokyo have the impression that it's a quiet place where rich wives who don't need to work live, but I suppose that's not always the case. The following images are just for reference.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E7%99%BD%E9%87%91%E9%AB%98%E8%BC%AA...
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread