Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa 2017/6/27 18:50
Greetings! I'm wondering if It's possible to change my work visa to HSP visa once I've gathered enough points in accordance with the new system. if so, how can it be done?

For the record, I hold a PhD degree, work as a professor, and my annual salary is about 10m yen, not to mention that I'm still 28. Also, I know basic Japanese if that counts.

Looking forward to hearing your take on the matter. Thanks!
by Mark (guest)  

Re: Visa 2017/6/28 11:10
Yes, entirely possible.

You probably fulfill all the criteria at the moment. Not sure about your publications, but you could probably make the 70 points on the basis of your age, income, and qualifications.

Get the forms, fill them in, have your employer do the same, then submit them to immigration.

I did the same a few years ago (admittedly when mine came up for renewal anyway), and then got PR last year.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Visa 2017/6/29 01:19
You easily qualify: http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_3/en/pdf/150406-6.pdf

30 for phd
20 for masters
40 for your salary
15 for your age
=105

Not sure how you managed to land a professor position at 28 for 10M per year, but congratulations! :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa 2017/6/29 09:03
Direct quote from the points spreadsheet "A person who holds both doctor's and master's degrees can get just 30 points. "

But you still meet the 70 point minimum easily.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Visa 2017/6/29 09:17
Just becareful when you use the term
Visa and Resident Status when you deal with Immi.
You will be point toward different direction if using the wrong term.
by @-@ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa 2017/7/1 01:15
I sincerely appreciate each and every one of your enriching replies. Many thanks!!!

The secret lies in skipping master's degree :) you can do that once you've finished your bachelor's studies with at least a second class honors. (it applies to the UK education system) not sure about the rest of the globe.

As for the last reply, I've thoroughly read into it and had it figured to some extent. The process is actually known as "permission to change the status of residence", yet HSP is a visa of its own which is quite intriguing because the status of residence also refers to "visa type" as stated by the immigration bureau. Well, I could say that it's pretty vague to grasp so whatever the case may be, I shall thank you for the pointers. Gotta find out more about it myself. Cheers!
by Mark (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread