Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Who can be a sponsor for student visa? 2017/6/29 17:00
Hello everyone!

I've been talking to several language schools in Japan I'm confused about who can be the sponsor for a student visa. I would like to study Japanese in Japan for a 6 month period and I have enough savings. I can't self sponsor because I just graduated and been working part-time. I would like to show my retired mother as a sponsor. But schools give me different answers about this, I would like to learn if a retired person can be a sponsor? If anyone has such experience, please let me know.

Thank you!
by larissa oz  

Re: Who can be a sponsor for student visa? 2017/6/29 19:35
What exactly do you mean by "sponsor"? Who told you that you needed one? Technically, this term does not appear anywhere in the application forms, and in common parlance it refers to the organisation where you will be performing your activity, i.e., in your case, the school.

For reference: http://www.moj.go.jp/content/000103470.pdf
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Who can be a sponsor for student visa? 2017/6/29 19:49
Thank you for your answer Firas.

Sponsor=Supporter, I mean the person supports you financially during your stay. They call it a sponsor in language school websites generally that's why I wrote it that way. And they all want a supporter/sponsor of course.
by larissa oz rate this post as useful

Re: Who can be a sponsor for student visa? 2017/6/29 20:00
There is nothing in principle that stops you from having a retired person as your financial supporter, as long as that person has sufficient means to actually support you, of course. If an individual school has a policy of not accepting students with such supporters, that is their decision only.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Who can be a sponsor for student visa? 2017/6/29 20:48
Thank you so much for your answer Firas. I see so there is no such thing. Got it! Thank you!!
by larissa oz rate this post as useful

reply to this thread