Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Would I be able to move? 2017/6/30 08:43
I live in Maui, and I'm not sure if any exchange student programs are offered here. I've gone to quite a few websites but I have never been able to find one that offers a program for Hawaii. I'm only 13 and was planning on doing it when I turn of the right age, but it is extremely expensive! I was thinking that I might just take a trip there with my family and see wheather or not I like it. If I like it enough I was thinking I could save up a ton of money and move there when I turn 18. Do you think I could do it? I turn 18 the beginning year of my senior year in highschool. Would I be able to find a job to afford a small apartment AND go to school?
by Demishev  

Re: Would I be able to move? 2017/6/30 10:23
Would I be able to find a job to afford a small apartment AND go to school?

If you are admitted to a school and have enough savings (or a good scholarship), then yes.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Would I be able to move? 2017/7/1 11:09
Thank you.
by Demishev rate this post as useful

Re: Would I be able to move? 2017/7/1 11:15
Definitely take a trip with your family and see firsthand what it is really like. Then decide.
by Konawaena (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Would I be able to move? 2017/7/1 11:49
Better yet, try this first:
Find out if your school (high school) offers Japanese (most schools in Hawaii do). Then ask the Japanese teacher if the Japanese classes take "field trips" to Japan (usually in the summer). This is how my nephew went to Japan for the first time, and it is cheaper than your family arranging a similar trip.
by Konawaena (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Would I be able to move? 2017/7/1 13:56
If you are thinking about coming to Japan at the age of 18 (right after high school) and finding a job to support yourself and your studies, then I must say no, because many jobs that qualify you for work visa requires a bachelor's degree or extensive experience. Scholarships and/or substantial savings would be needed.

But before all that please visit at least once to get a feel for the country.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Would I be able to move? 2017/7/1 15:38
@AK Who said anything about a "work visa"?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Would I be able to move? 2017/7/1 16:11
I understand that you are only 13, and you are thinking of taking a trip to Japan with your family to see whether or not you like it, and if you like it enough you are going to save up a ton of money BEFORE turning 18, and then you are coming to Japan with your savings to live in an apartment and go to school. Yes, you can if you have enough savings and a scholarship! Go for it, kid!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Would I be able to move? 2017/7/1 16:57
Firas,

The OP was talking about finding a job to afford a small apartment and go to school. I took that to mean a job that pays enough to support his living and his tuition - so a full-time job, so work visa, was my idea.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Would I be able to move? 2017/7/1 17:19
So, in order to live in Japan on a full-time basis, you need to have permission to live here. This is called a "status of residence", but some people call it a visa.

If you were attending a university in Japan, you could get Student status. The university would act as your sponsor for immigration. However, I don't think any high school could or would accept you or sponsor your visa. If you wanted to come to a high school here, probably the only way would be for you to come as a Dependant of your parents - they get a job here and you come along as their child.

However, as an individual you cannot just move to Japan - you need to have some reason to be here which satisfies Immigration requirements. Generally, that is working, but it could also be as a College / University student.

It is definitely best to come and visit at least once before moving your whole life to another country.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

reply to this thread