Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it fun and safe living in Japan? 2017/7/12 01:44
I've heard about a lot of people who move from America to Japan. So, now I know it's possible, and am kinda jealous and want to go for it. Is it fun and safe living in Japan? Also, I would need a job obviously. I assume the only thing I can really do is teach English, right? How are the wages over there?

Or I could just learn Japanese, but I don't know how long that would take.

Any benefits to living in Japan over America?
by Curious Fellow (guest)  

Re: Is it fun and safe living in Japan? 2017/7/12 13:25
No. Move along.
by @-@ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it fun and safe living in Japan? 2017/7/12 13:36
it is very fun for me, but I love the music and sports here. It really depends on what you like.
Plus it is much safer than the US, but strong expressions of individuality aren't common as in the US so some people feel very frustrated at this.
Lastly if you don't even want to make the effort to learn the language you'll be missing out on most of the fun - English is definitely not widely spoken. You can survive but you'll always be stuck with the expats and will need help for a bunch of things.
If you're not sure yourself why you would come to Japan, why don't you come on holiday first and see if you like the country? A move to another country shouldn't be planned so lightly...
by krr (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it fun and safe living in Japan? 2017/7/12 13:40
So what interests you about Japan, apart from the fact that others have moved there? Also do you have at least a bachelor's degree, if you are thinking of teaching the English language? What career path are you pursuing?
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it fun and safe living in Japan? 2017/7/12 13:46
And another person who doesn`t plan. I think you should experience Japan first by holiday, or try to get some exchange program to find out if you really like Japan. People say often it is great place to live. But there are also many disadvantages.

I have been living in Japan long time now, and my child was born and raised in Japan. But even still I feel sometimes I am different. You will never be a part of Japan, doesn`t matter how many friends, or how well you integrated in to the society. But i love Japan, because I have my family here, I have a great job, love the food etc.

So please try first before you give up your life and realize it is not what you want.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Is it fun and safe living in Japan? 2017/7/13 20:35
Is it fun? Well, I guess this completely depends on your definition of fun and expectations to life.
Is it safe? YES. There is probably few countries out there safer than Japan. Maybe Island or Faroer or some place like that. (As long as you don't consider the threat of earthquakes)

Apart from this, yes, as others have said before, come to Japan first for a few weeks of holidays to see if you could imagine living here, then move.

If you want to learn Japanese, you can get a student visa and it will take you about 2 years (!) of intensive study to become fluent. During that time you can do some "arubaito" to earn a little bit of money.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Is it fun and safe living in Japan? 2017/7/14 09:14
I'm sorry, but 'Is it fun?' should not be even close to making the shortlist of questions about a country you are thinking of moving to!

What about: How will it be living in such a foreign culture? Can I be so separated from my family? Will I feel lonely? Will I always be the odd one out no matter how well integrated I become? Is it possible to pursue my desires and dreams for my life? Can I see myself growing old here or is this a temporary thing? What life lessons will I take from such an experience? What about job aspirations, will it have a positive or negative effect? Can I find a significant other or have children here?

I'm a new expat in Japan, trust me, you are thinking all wrong about how life is here. Life is not an anime.
by Meyana (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread