Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/16 03:12
I retired from the U.S. Navy back in 1999. My wife is from Hakodate and is still a Japanese citizen. We want to retire in Japan and have many questions about base access, medical, banking, etc. I am hoping someone can point me to a reliable source of information. Thx much.
by Randy (guest)  

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/16 13:28
Since you are not a military personnel any longer, you'll need other visa status to live in Japan. Provided your marriage has been reported to the Japanese authorities already, you can apply for Spouse of Japanese National visa if the two of you want to live together in Japan. You (or she) need some evidence to show that the two of you can support yourselves (either pension income or work income).

Once you start living in Japan, along with your wife you'd enroll in the national health insurance scheme here. You can read the "Living in Japan" section of this website we are on to get started :)
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/16 16:50
You didn`t say where in Japan you want to live, but as a retiree you should still have some base privileges. I do not know of the right site to refer you to, but if you look around you should find one for military retirees that can better tell you what you can expect. I`m guessing that you would still have PX, social & sports facilities, and maybe even medical care access.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/17 01:19
Thank you for responding. Fortunately, retirees do have access to all U.S. bases in Japan including, medical, recreation (including some awesome golf courses) and shopping facilities. I will need to get a spouse visa (relatively straight forward). I will probably enroll in the Japanese health care system, but can continue to use Tricare and submit for reimbursement if I use a local doctor/care facility. My wife already has property and a car so no worries there. I don't have to pay local income taxes or contribute to the Japanese version of social security since I won't be making money in Japan. My main concern is accessing U.S. bank and retirement accounts, and related taxes if any. The bases all have Navy Federal Credit Union branches, so I think it might be easy, but don't know for sure.

I'll also have to get a Japanese driver's licence. Very painful - it took my wife three attempts - dumb stuff like putting her hand in the wrong position on the steering wheel when starting a turn. It is money maker for local governments to make people take classes and come back multiple times.

We are also trying to figure out if/when my wife should become a U.S. citizen. She has a green card now. We may, after 15 years or so, decide to move back the U.S. If she becomes a U.S. citizen, then coming back is very easy, but the green card will no longer be valid after that period of time living outside the U.S., unless we continue to own and visit property in the U.S, i.e. , maintain a U.S. presence. So we are thinking, get the spouse visa first, and establish that we live in Japan from a Japanese perspective, then she gets U.S. citizenship and for the most part does not lose any of her Japanese rights, and I will already have been approved to stay. She can then get her U.S. citizenship and we can then have the benefits of dual citizenship, even though Japan does not allow that. We know of folks that have both U.S. and Japanese passports and neither country seems to care, but that could change.
by Randy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/17 08:18
We are also trying to figure out if/when my wife should become a U.S. citizen.

In that case you may not be allowed to live in Japan. Your wife will have to give up her Japanese citizenship (dual citizenship is not allowed) and I suspect you will have more difficulty getting a spouse visa (as the intention to stay in japan is less - giving up Japanese nationality). Unless she reverts/applies for PR status (again - the COE for that one would be interesting) she will not be allowed to live in Japan either.

And in case my understanding is wrong, consult with a good immigration lawyer in Japan. Internet forums are not the best place for technical advice like this.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/17 13:49
No comments for military facilities part however if you or green card holder wife plan to enjoy both US and Japan life, remember that both of you will have to pay taxes in both countries, Japan may still be fine but IRS won't spare you
Your GC holder wife has to declare herself residents of US and pay taxes on her Japan income, if you don't do that her GC has be revoked anytime
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/17 15:21
Your wife holding US citizenship would not preclude the two of you living in Japan. And losing the GC would also not preclude a return to the US at a later time, should you so choose. A bit of a hassle maybe. Since you are in the US now, I`d obtain the citizenship now - probably the easiest path.

Dual nationalities is very common, the letter of the law notwithstanding. If you are law abiding in all other aspects it should not be a problem.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/17 19:11
Do not listen to Paul regarding dual citizenship. Your wife will certainly lose her Japanese citizenship if she obtains US citizenship. It happens automatically and they will not turn a blind eye to it if they find out.

The dual citizens that you know were born that way. That's why it's allowed for them.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/17 21:56
Again, thx for the responses. Just a point about dual citizenship. Born with dual only lasts until 18, has to be requested (it is not automatic) and at 18, a choice has to be made. While not legal, many Japanese that own property and register that status with local town hall, pay taxes, etc. can maintain the benefits of Japanese citizenship after having obtained U.S. citizenship. The U.S. does not prevent dual citizenship.

I am not worried about paying income taxes in Japan as neither of us will be working. My concern is Japanese taxes on my retirement withdrawals from my U.S. retirement.

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/18 05:49
Your wife will certainly lose her Japanese citizenship if she obtains US citizenship.
It happens automatically and they will not turn a blind eye to it if they find out.

Really? Automatically???

Please post a link to a Japanese government website that states this.

I know of several Japanese who have obtained US citizenship, and they have retained their Japanese citizenship without any trouble whatsoever.

Also, please explain how it happens "automatically" and, again, please post a link to a government website.

by Disagree (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/18 07:56

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/18 09:37
Expiration of dual citizenship can be found here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_nationality_law Under the dual citizenship section. I did get the age wrong. It is 22, not 18. That being said, it is common for Japanese not to remove their US citizenship as prescibed by law, because it does not seem to be checked by the Japanese government and the US really does not care. We have quite a few friends that have both US and Japanese passports and use the one that gets them through imagration fastest.

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/18 15:16
@Randy
But what does that have to do with your wife? She wasn't born a dual citizen. It's apples and oranges.
This has been discussed a thousand times on this forum. Please search and read.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/18 15:41
Dual citizen in Japan is not allowed in Japan. If your wife takes the US nationality you both cannot live in Japan.

For retirement you will be depended on your wife income/pension from Japan and from your pension in America. Please keep in mind you will not get any pension if you are having paid your taxes in Japan and/or you pension in Japan.

Once you apply a spouse visa living in Japan will be easy for you.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/18 17:03
The only clear thing I get out of this thread (and was my though when it appeared) is that your wife should not give up her citizenship by becoming a US citizen.

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/18 21:49
As for the dual citizenship for children, correct, it has nothing to do with this thread and was only included because some thought that this status afforded to children life time dual citizenship and therefore Japan allows dual citizenship, which is not the case. No need to continue that discussion here.

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/18 22:03
JapanCustomTours thanks much. I agree with you. My wife should just keep her Japanese citizenship. My wife has this fear that she might one day want to move back to the US if I were to pass before her. This seems to be an unfounded concern since my daughter lives in the US and could sponsor her to return.

Her other concern is access to our savings, and primary source of income, if I die (I'm not planning on doing that anytime soon). Probate can be a real hassle if accounts are not set correctly. I have made sure that every account we have is joint, so I don't think it is going to any problem, but I should check with a lawyer to to be sure.

Re: U.S. Military Retirees in Japan Info 2017/7/19 07:58
Hi Randy - sounds like you have a good plan underway. Planning for contingencies is important, and while most people do not plan to die, it does happen.

reply to this thread