Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to dispose of glass items? 2017/8/2 19:09
Moving back home.....

I understand that glass items are non-burnable/recycle (green bags for Nagoya), but what's the correct and safest way to dispose of them?

Is it OK to just put glass items like unwanted tumblers, drinks dispensers, into the plastic bags, or should they be wrapped/padded for protection first (I wouldn't want the disposal guys to get injured with any glass that gets broken when handling)?
by Max (guest)  

Re: How to dispose of glass items? 2017/8/3 18:11
I think you should contact your city hall to ask them, as different cities have different rules. In my city, for example, unbroken glass items like jars or tumblers can go in with glass bottles sorted by color in bins set out by the city on set recycle days. Broken glass must be carefully wrapped in paper or something, put in a separate bag, and "KIKEN" or similar written on it to let the city workers know. These are separate from glass bottle days, and go on the non-burnable day. Other kinds of glass items go in regular non-burnable bags; I probably wouldn't bother to wrap them if they're pretty hardy glass items, but more delicate or thin stuff I probably would.

I don't know anything about a green bag, so that must be something Nagoya does that my city doesn't. So I think unless someone from Nagoya answers you on here, it's best to contact city hall and ask directly what to do with the items.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: How to dispose of glass items? 2017/8/4 01:08
Max,

Are you disposing them in Nagoya-shi? And are you talking about glass plates and cups instead of glass bottles? And are they unbroken? If your answer to any of these questions is "no", please post again.

If all your answers are "yes", it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the English version of the city's website, but details are shown on page 9 of the Japanese version. You don't have to wrap them unless they are already broken. If your items are too long to be covered by the designated waste bag, be sure to tie your bag with a string-like object. Please look at the illustration on page 9 to make sure you know what I mean.
http://www.city.nagoya.jp/kankyo/cmsfiles/contents/0000066/66330/guide...
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread