Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ryokan in Mount Koya 2017/8/9 18:50
Hi to everyone

My girlfriend an me would like to stay in Koya for 1 night. Can you recommend a good Ryokan?
It should be easy accessible and we'd like to stay at a traditional one. We can afford about 20-25'000 Yen for a night.

Also, are there any Ryokans in Koya area with integrated Onsen baths?

Or would you rather recommend to just book a Ryokan without Onsen bath in Koya, and book an Onsen seperately at another area (like Hakone)?
by SwissRene  

Re: Ryokan in Mount Koya 2017/8/9 19:52
Bonjour Rene

If you want to stay on Mt Koya, you'll stay in a temple, not a ryokan. For most temple stays (shukubo) guests share communal baths. There are a few temples which offer rooms with private en suite baths but AFAIK, none of these are actual onsen water and they'll usually cost about 25000 + per person for those rooms.

Your budget (if for two people) probably isn't enough for a room with a private bath but enjoying the larger communal baths is a great experience anyway.
by Shu Kubota (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ryokan in Mount Koya 2017/8/10 03:11
Definitely stay at a temple when on Mt Koya, it is a unique experience. Sit in with the ceremonies (bring a few coins for an offering), copy the sutra and participate in the zazen.
I loved it and have now done several shukubo at different temples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jyRrk9W_WI
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ryokan in Mount Koya 2017/8/10 03:33
Koyasan is really nice if you want to relax or take a stroll through the forest. Get up early and listen to the Monks prayer.

I enjoyed staying at Fukuchiin when I went there, a one night stay is usually enough.
by KGhaleon rate this post as useful

Re: Ryokan in Mount Koya 2017/8/10 03:43
If you want something other than shukubo, there is a business hotel call Tamagawa Ryokan. It is not a traditional ryokan and there is no Onsen. It is clean and quiet. I have stayed there 2 nights before.

http://www.ichinohashi.co.jp/tamagawa/
by Kamiya (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread